Canes?

Ok. I guess that I'll have her leave it at home then. I don't want to drag it down there and her not be able to use it.
If I can talk her into a wheelchair and there are any even available, we will go tat route. If not then she will just have to sit on the ground with the rest of us.
If you are planning on using the buses to get around, I would highly recommend an outside rental of a wheelchair. There may not be seats on the buses when you arrive, so you either wait for the next or stand. If she has a wheel chair it's a guaranteed seat. Also I do not believe your group will be permitted to just sit on the ground. It can be dangerous in crowds as you are now a tripping hazard. Given the crowds at this time of year, there is no real out of the way place to sit.

Seat canes are allowed in the parks, but a wheelchair would probably be a better option. I've seen people sitting on seat canes get jostled and even knocked over by passers-by more than once. They tend to be rather wobbly and uncomfortable, and there's more uneven ground in the parks than you think.
I agree with the "tip" factor on cane seats. Another thing to consider is how it's used. Cane seats should used with the cane handle at the front for stability. Some use the handle as a seat back and then lean back.... falling. While OK for men, some say having the handle out front for a female can be rude.

If she just needs it for the seat, I would go with a rollator. Like Sue said they can be bought cheaply at big box or drug stores. They are great to have so you will always have a seat and it's easier to get up and down and keep moving than the cane chair would be. I have both and love my rollator.

Ok. I guess that I'll have her leave it at home then. I don't want to drag it down there and her not be able to use it.
If I can talk her into a wheelchair and there are any even available, we will go tat route. If not then she will just have to sit on the ground with the rest of us.

She can use it as a cane, no question. She probably won't be able to use it as a seat. So if the cane part helps her, bring it along. She can always try and use the seat part and see what happens.

Instead of sitting on the ground (not sure why that is an option) why not scope out the many planters Disney has added that also double as seating? Or one of the low walls around the parks that you can sit or lean on?

If she just needs it for the seat, I would go with a rollator. Like Sue said they can be bought cheaply at big box or drug stores. They are great to have so you will always have a seat and it's easier to get up and down and keep moving than the cane chair would be. I have both and love my rollator.

Seems like the rollator is the best option! A nice sturdy seat and will help with balance. If she gets tired of pushing it, perhaps others in the group can take turns.

We will not have a car. I only mentioned the pocket card earlier to illustrate that if needed on park entry she had proof of disability. When she got her tag renewal this year, the state sent a pocket card along with the hang tag.
Our state does the same thing!!! It PROVES who the Hang Tag was issued to.

If you are thinking it proves the need for the can seat, be aware Disney will tell you stamina/mobility issues need to be addressed via their approved methods of a scooter or wheelchair. Folding chairs of any kind are not allowed, even for people with stamina issues.

Please be prepared that your mom might not be allowed to use the chair part of the cane.
A cane with a seat on it (depending on the TRUE STYLE!!) is a MEDICAL DEVICE and is recognized as such by Disney just like crutches or a knee walker or any other medical device. Speak with their disabilities department. and before you tell me that the CMs in the park have the final say, they also work with the disabilities dept and will defer to them to clarify certain matters.
OP, if *YOU* feel that is the best fit for your mom, by all means bring it. No one else on here knows all of your personal circumstances. Check out the suggestions but if none are a better fit, go with what you need to for your mom.
Have a great time!!!

Our state does the same thing!!! It PROVES who the Hang Tag was issued to.

A cane with a seat on it (depending on the TRUE STYLE!!) is a MEDICAL DEVICE and is recognized as such by Disney just like crutches or a knee walker or any other medical device. Speak with their disabilities department. and before you tell me that the CMs in the park have the final say, they also work with the disabilities dept and will defer to them to clarify certain matters.
OP, if *YOU* feel that is the best fit for your mom, by all means bring it. No one else on here knows all of your personal circumstances. Check out the suggestions but if none are a better fit, go with what you need to for your mom.
Have a great time!!!

disney dose allow them at the park that is not really a question what people are trying to tell her is that it will be hard for her mom to use it as a set ( I have seen someone fall out of one and break there arm and cut there head pretty good more then likely needed stitches ) so I would say it is not a good idea to have one I think either a wheel chair the your mom push and sites when needed ( then someone can push her) and if needed she can level it out side of a line or in a land area if she is feeling good or a roller and do the same thing

We are here now. We arrived at Epcot via the back entrance at about 2 pm. There were no wheelchairs left, as they were gone for the day. We were having her rest a little when my nephew saw someone in a scooter returning it... So he got it as soon as they finished the return. She's done well on it.
The crowds are heavy but it's far more manageable than I expected.
As far as sitting on the ground... There's people sitting everywhere (and napping!) in the grass. I knew they opened up the grassy areas on NYE so we brought thin blankets to sit on with us. That's what I was talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter