Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am starting to feel more comfortable with this camera. I was fortunate to have a brother who had a rebel 35mm camera and we pulled it out over Christmas break and he had a lens with his camera that fits mine. He never ever uses the camera so he gave me his lens and his canon bag as a Christmas gift. I now have a 35-80mm and a 18-55 IS in my bag. I have been shooting in P mode and adjusting the white balance and ISO. My pictures have been so much better. I also got a book for Christmas at my local Barnes and Noble store and am working through the chapters. Now I just need to get the wife hooked for another vacation this year. I am hoping for a Yosemite trip in June. She has always wanted to rode trip it to California. If gas prices can stay low we might be able to make it a reality. Let's hope the economy turns around soon.

Older camera!!!???? It is about three years newer than my model!

MIkeeee
yeah, i feel like a dinosaur using my xt and now we redid some of our house so no 50d for me for a while...probably till it's down to $399:rotfl:

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am starting to feel more comfortable with this camera. I was fortunate to have a brother who had a rebel 35mm camera and we pulled it out over Christmas break and he had a lens with his camera that fits mine. He never ever uses the camera so he gave me his lens and his canon bag as a Christmas gift. I now have a 35-80mm and a 18-55 IS in my bag. I have been shooting in P mode and adjusting the white balance and ISO. My pictures have been so much better. I also got a book for Christmas at my local Barnes and Noble store and am working through the chapters. Now I just need to get the wife hooked for another vacation this year. I am hoping for a Yosemite trip in June. She has always wanted to rode trip it to California. If gas prices can stay low we might be able to make it a reality. Let's hope the economy turns around soon.

so what did you get your wife again:-)lmao: ;) )?
i have the 70-200 f4. one of the best of the best imo ( if you take in to account value, sharpness, just no is) and the 70-300 is is rated really well but the aperture isn't as good...haven't used the 55-250..wondering if someone could post some shots with it?
i have tried to figure out why the x series just are not as sharp as the d series,.. i wonder if it's due to the mirror but there is a real difference for some reason.

yeah, i feel like a dinosaur using my xt and now we redid some of our house so no 50d for me for a while...probably till it's down to $399:rotfl:

I'm having similar feelings .. about using a dinosaur and upgrading. I'm thinking about finally upgrading to the xti from the rebel withnoletters ($299 at Adorama) and laughing because it's not the newest model. :rotfl: With that said, I did a lot of reading and it looks like a better camera than the XS I was planning to buy ... who knows when I'll make it to the D cameras?

Today I grabbed my camera to take a picture in the house. The flash popped up but didn't fire. I recharged the battery and tried again. No luck. I tried my external flash and it worked fine.

Does the internal bulb ever burn out on these? I've had countless other pop up flash cameras through the years, but never had one do this.

The good news is that I have 5, YES COUNT THEM, FIVE days left on my extended warranty. I'll be on the phone first thing in the AM, but would like to get some idea what I'm dealing with.

Anyone had this happen?????????

We have all Brands & Models Of Cell Phones, Computers & Laptops,Ipod,Digital Cameras, camcorders & General Electronics at very Subsidized & Unbeatable Prices. All Phones are Brand New T2 Euro specs,Factory unlocked,sim-free,no operator logo, sealed in their original factory box, We sell in Wholesales and any quantity of your choice. We offer discount shipping cost on all bulk orders and orders from 8 units.Note All phones comes with the complete accessories & manuals with 1 full year international warranty.

Canon EOS 400D / Rebel XTi Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens
Canon EOS 400D / Rebel XTi Body Only Digital Camera
Canon EOS 30D Body Only Digital Camera
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D Digital Camera with 18-55mm IS lens
Canon EOS-5D Body Only Digital Camera
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Digital Camera
Canon EOS 30D / EF-S 17-85mm IS Digital Camera
Canon EOS 30D Digital Camera with 18-55 Kit
Canon PowerShot G10 Digital Camera
Canon EOS-5D Body Mark II Digital Camera

Olympus EVOLT E-330 Digital Camera
Olympus EVOLT E-500 (Body Only) Digital Camera
Olympus Evolt E-510 (14-42mm) Digital Camera

Nikon D40x Digital Camera
Nikon D40 Digital Camera with G-II 18-55mm Lens
Nikon D80 Digital Camera with 18-135mm Lens
Nikon D80 Digital Camera with 18-200mm Lens
Nikon D80 Body Only Digital Camera
Nikon D200 Body Only Digital Camera
Nikon D200 Digital Camera with 18-200mm Lens
Nikon D2Xs (Body Only) Digital Camera
Nikon D200 Digital Camera with 18-135mm
Nikon D300 Digital Camera
Nikon D700 Digital camera
Nikon D3 Digital Camera

Canon VIXIA HG10 (40 GB) HDD Camcorder
Canon HR10 HDV Camcorder
Canon HV10 Mini DV Camcorder
Canon VIXIA HV30 DV Camcorder
Canon VIXIA HF100 Flash Media Camcorder

Panasonic HDC-SD5 Flash Media Camcorder
Panasonic HDC-DX1 DVD Camcorder
Panasonic HDC-SD9 Flash Media Camcorder
Panasonic HDC-HS9 HDD Camcorder

Sony Handycam® HDR-HC3 HDV Camcorder
Sony Handycam® HDR-HC5 HDV Camcorder
Sony Handycam® DCR-IP7BT Micro MV Camcorder
Sony HDR-SR10E (40 GB) HDD Camcorder
Sony Handycam® DCR-DVD910 DVD Camcorder
Sony HDR-UX10 Flash Media Camcorder
Sony Handycam® DCR-SR85E (60GB) HDD Camcorder

JVC GZ-HD5 (60 GB) HDD Camcorder
JVC Everio GZ-MG360 HDD Camcorder
JVC 5.37MP Digital Camcorder with 30GB Camcorder

I have a friend with a Rebel XTi. He says he only has the kit lens, which I believe is an 18-55 f3.5. He has expressed an interest in being able to take more photos in lower light without flash (such as inside restaurants and on rides at WDW), but he isn't very knowledgeable about such things. I told him he needs a faster lens -- but I'm a Nikon guy, and I don't really know what is available for and compatible with his camera. Naturally, price is an issue. Can anyone here advise as to what fast, relatively inexpensive primes might be suitable for his needs? Third-party lenses would, I am sure, be just fine, especially if they're less expensive. Thanks!

SSB

i just bought a tamron 17-50 f2.8 non IS and i like it ....they just came out with a stabilized version( like a few weeks after i bought mine naturally :rotfl:). I haven't converted them yet but i was able to get decent shots with it after dark( way after dark, like 9:30) with only a monopod. it was around $450 but might be cheaper now with the new lens released. and it has a 6 yr warranty which is great as well. has very little CA( like none), is sharp and seems fairly consistent throughout the whole range. haven't taken it to WDW but it would seem like it would work well there . i have it paired with my 70-200 f4 canon and pretty much that is all i use ( except my 100mm macro which i like a lot as well just for straight shooting). it is for crop only but recently i read if you have a crop it's better to use lenses for it anyway.

I have the XTi and 50mm f/1.8, and while it's OK for most indoor shots using a high ISO (1600), it's not great for the real dark rides such as Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. My DH has a Sony DLSR that has 3200 ISO and a 50mm f/1.4 lens and his pictures were much better than mine but still not ideal.

We've since upgraded to the Canon T1i with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and are hoping the high ISO option on the T1i will enable us to get some usable shots.

This is a good thread for information on how to shoot dark rides :thumbsup2

I have an XTi. I have not yerned for any other lenses ever since I constructed this lense set:

Canon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 17 - 50mm f/2.8
Canon 55mm - 250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS

The prime lens is great for portraits and just general photography. The Tamron is a great walk-around lens. It is wide enough, fast, and extremely sharp. The 55-250 zooms more than enough and the IQ is excellent. Check the reviews at Amazon. People love that lens.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's amazing what people can do. I mean who would even think/dream of writing the software and applying it to a compact flash card and changing their firmware. What a novice I am at all of this.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's amazing what people can do. I mean who would even think/dream of writing the software and applying it to a compact flash card and changing their firmware. What a novice I am at all of this.

I'd just be scared doing that would turn the camera into a brick or doorstop :confused3

There is a thread out there on another website that states you can change the firmware on the XTI to an ISO of 3200. I'm not sure how safe it is to do this.
Here is the address.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=742806&goto=newpost

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has ever done this?

You can do the exact same thing yourself (helps if you are using RAW). Just underexpose the shot by one stop on purpose and then push it up one stop in processing. Your ISO 1600 becomes 3200. That is all the camera was doing anyway. It will have a lot of noise, but if you got a decent shot, you can apply some noise removal and get decent results. My camera has 3200 and I have pushed it to 6400 before with decent enough results. They are not going to be award winning shots, but at least you have the shot. On last thing, it does not work that great on shots of people b/c the pushed noise along with the noise removal can make it look a little fake.

You can do the exact same thing yourself (helps if you are using RAW). Just underexpose the shot by one stop on purpose and then push it up one stop in processing. Your ISO 1600 becomes 3200. That is all the camera was doing anyway

It is difficult to know just how the camera handles the higher ISO but underexposing and pushing it up is not the best way to go, and that is not how most ISO is done. A sensor is an analog device and boosting the native ISO (usually the lowest) is generally done by amplifying the analog signal before converting it to digital. This is very different from taking an already digitized image and boosting the exposure in software, almost similar to the difference between optical and digital zoom (although not quite as bad).

Underexposing and boosting in software is a last resort (and one I have used) but the noise can get pretty bad.

There is a thread out there on another website that states you can change the firmware on the XTI to an ISO of 3200.

This firmware simply adds a High ISO feature present in other Canon cameras.

The sensor remains exactly the same - it does not get more sensitive to lower light. The High ISO of 3200 is defined as ISO 1600 under-exposed by one stop.

You can achieve the exact same results with the standard firmware by setting the ISO to 1600 and using manual mode to under-expose by one stop.

There is usually enough detail in the Raw file that can be recovered to produce a very noisy photo.

-Paul

It is difficult to know just how the camera handles the higher ISO but underexposing and pushing it up is not the best way to go, and that is not how most ISO is done. A sensor is an analog device and boosting the native ISO (usually the lowest) is generally done by amplifying the analog signal before converting it to digital. This is very different from taking an already digitized image and boosting the exposure in software, almost similar to the difference between optical and digital zoom (although not quite as bad).

Underexposing and boosting in software is a last resort (and one I have used) but the noise can get pretty bad.

I am just talking about those "extended range" options available to some cameras. The way I understand it, that mode works just as I described it. If it was handled just the same way as the differences in the camera's normal ISO range (as you described), then why would it be a menu option and not just a selectable option on the normal ISO range?

To all Canon shooters out there tell me about this camera? Is it any good it would be a second system camera for me since my main is Pentax and was just wondering about it? So do tell and yes I know its a few years old and not the latest but would it be worth thinking about it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter