Canon S3

I just wanted to add that whenever you're looking at cameras, don't even consider digital zoom - it's worthless. Turn it off on whatever camera you have. Optical zoom uses the lens to bring things closer; digital zoom just enlarges the pixels. Digital zoom might look ok on the screen on the back of the camera, but once you see the photo on your computer monitor, it's horrible. Use digital zoom only as a last resort to capture a memory.

:thumbsup2 +1 to that, I turned off the digital zoom on the S5 that I own and haven't missed it at all. You get so much better clarity from the optical zoom.

Ok I have decidecd this is what Im getting.So what else do I need to buy to have a great experacne? I got a nice tripod comming soon for my birthday. I know I need a camera bag but I have no clue what to get, the only bag I know is a lowerpro ( I used to work at sears). So what other fun gear do i need? Im so excited to get this camera.

This is a GREAT older camera. Other than a memory card you'll just need batteries. (I find the e2 lithium work best... A little pricy, but they last forever).

Have fun with this camera.. For a PnS its really good.

I don't know that you need to buy anything else - just be sure to read the manual and practice. I predict you'll enjoy the camera. I just moved up to DSLR and won't be parting with my S3 anytime soon. In certain situations it's very handy and takes really nice pictures.

It's not needed but I got a 58mm Adapter. To me it makes the camera easier to hold and keep steady. You can also add filters with the add-on, one of the filters I got was a Polarizer. Of course it does add a little bulk to the camera.

Nice choice of camera!!! I used to have an S3 before getting a dslr. Besides extra memory and batteries (sanyo eneloops are amazing.... but hard to find now), you don't need too much else. I actually had a decent little bag from walmart for mine. But I know you'll have fun with this camera. Don't forget to share your pics with us. :cool1:

Enjoy your S3IS. It was a GREAT bridge camera for me, although I'd already had plenty of film 35mm practice. My daughter also has one. It will shoot fabulously with correct exposure, but is not a great 'low light while shooting on the fly' friendly camera. Even with that said, I highly recommend it. There are several shots on my flickr site that I shot with the S3IS. Get the book Understanding Exposure. You can use and practice most everything in the book with that little camera.

It's not needed but I got a 58mm Adapter. To me it makes the camera easier to hold and keep steady. You can also add filters with the add-on, one of the filters I got was a Polarizer. Of course it does add a little bulk to the camera.

I have the 58mm adapter also. I've used the polarizing filter on the camera at times and it was nice to have. I also got the external flash kit, but haven't found that to be as useful.

Ok im confused. I know the adaptors allow me to use filters, but is a converter the same thing? Also what else are these useful for?

Ok im confused. I know the adaptors allow me to use filters, but is a converter the same thing? Also what else are these useful for?

I have an old 58mm tube adapter for a Canon S5 (same as S3). They allow filters or a macro lens to be attached. But really consider getting a newer model like the Canon S90 or Panasonic FZ35 instead of the much older S3 (unless someone is giving you their old S3 for free!) From what I've seen the newer superzooms have more features, better video and improved image quality.

The adapter is sort of a specialized converter. It takes the, for lack of a better phrase, non-standard size of the S3/S5 and makes it a standard size so that the 58mm filters and can be used with the camera.

I didn't comment on the adapter at first, but I am a big fan... you can find it here: http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html

I had this and what I liked about it was that not only could you put filters on it (circ polarizer was what I used most) it also protected the mechanism. I never took it off. It made the just a tiny bit bigger and didn't shrink when powered off, but the 'extending' lens was then completely enclosed and protected.

I don't know how much creative control this camera has, but check out www.woot.com for Thursday, Feb 11, 2010.

That little Kodak is a good camera, is new, and is relatively inexpensive. If it has some creative control you want, that looks like a good camera for you at this time.

I have an old 58mm tube adapter for a Canon S5 (same as S3). They allow filters or a macro lens to be attached. But really consider getting a newer model like the Canon S90 or Panasonic FZ35 instead of the much older S3 (unless someone is giving you their old S3 for free!) From what I've seen the newer superzooms have more features, better video and improved image quality.
The OP has posted that she's on a tight budget (~ $150), which is why the older model was suggested.

fcm, just get the camera to start off, then see if there's anything else you want to go along with it. No need to spend extra money until you know you're going to use it. This camera really is pretty self sufficient. :thumbsup2

The S3 is still a very capable camera - and if available for under $150 I would consider it an excellent option. Funky, I hope you enjoy the camera - here's some shots I've taken with mine:

ayala.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

CastleEntry2.jpg

sse_night_fountain.jpg

SpectroCindy.jpg

StuntFlames.jpg

Enjoy your S3IS. It was a GREAT bridge camera for me, although I'd already had plenty of film 35mm practice. My daughter also has one. It will shoot fabulously with correct exposure, but is not a great 'low light while shooting on the fly' friendly camera. Even with that said, I highly recommend it. There are several shots on my flickr site that I shot with the S3IS. Get the book Understanding Exposure. You can use and practice most everything in the book with that little camera.

I second this suggestion. This is exactly what I did after getting my S3. It really helped me to take advantage of what the camera has to offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter