Canon S3

I'd like to add another round of props for the S3. I've had mine for about three years. My favorite aspect of it is the panoramic setting. I managed to stitch together awesome shots of Niagara Falls, Fenway Park, and the Boston skyline with my little S3. I took about 2500 pics with it and then decided to upgrade to a dslr. At that point, I gave it to my DS(9). However, I'll still take the reigns on occasion, especially when we're in situations when carrying the dslr is too much. You'll have a blast with it! :thumbsup2

Nice pictures, Thurl. :thumbsup2

Here are some of mine taken with the S3.

IMG_1376.jpg

Picture202_f.jpg

Picture510_f.jpg

DS 11 took this one (and won a ribbon for it last summer)

IMG_2409-1.jpg

and this one

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_5257_f.jpg

IMG_0061_f.jpg

IMG_0064_f.jpg

Niagara Falls, Fenway Park, and the Boston skyline with my little S3. I took about 2500 pics with it and then decided to upgrade to a dslr. At that point, I gave it to my DS(9). However, I'll still take the reigns on occasion, especially when we're in situations when carrying the dslr is too much.
Hey. I think we must travel in the same circles, lol.

You'll love the zoom to this camera too (turn off digital zoom though). In the DSLR world, there's extra $$ involved for this level of zoom.

Taken from across the lake near Expedition Everest...

The older pictures of my Flickr photostream are from this camera.

I've been pricing the Canon SX20 IS since Thanksgiving and the best price I've found it $359. I believe that is the latest model. I've also priced the SX10 IS which I believe was the previous model. The SX10 camera is always more expensive than the SX20 :confused3 Is there a reason for this? Isn't the SX20 a better camera? Help end my confusion.

I've been pricing the Canon SX20 IS since Thanksgiving and the best price I've found it $359. I believe that is the latest model. I've also priced the SX10 IS which I believe was the previous model. The SX10 camera is always more expensive than the SX20 :confused3 Is there a reason for this? Isn't the SX20 a better camera? Help end my confusion.

Comparing the stats of the two cameras as listed on www.dpreview.com, I can't see much (aside from 2 extra MP on the SX20) that separates these two cameras; same sensor, same zoom range, same ISO range, etc....

Just adding more MP to a camera's CCD doesn't actually make it any better; if anything, it reduces the Image Quality (IQ) by making it a little more grainy at higher ISOs. However, it's usually not that big a deal....

The only thing I can think of is that the SX20, being the latest, is being more aggressively priced to get a better market-share.

I'm fairly sure you'll be happy with either camera, so buy the cheaper one! :goodvibes

Comparing the stats of the two cameras as listed on www.dpreview.com, I can't see much (aside from 2 extra MP on the SX20) that separates these two cameras; same sensor, same zoom range, same ISO range, etc....

Just adding more MP to a camera's CCD doesn't actually make it any better; if anything, it reduces the Image Quality (IQ) by making it a little more grainy at higher ISOs. However, it's usually not that big a deal....

The only thing I can think of is that the SX20, being the latest, is being more aggressively priced to get a better market-share.

I'm fairly sure you'll be happy with either camera, so buy the cheaper one! :goodvibes

That's what I was thinking. Thanks!!

Thought I'd restart this thread to ask...has anyone replaced ther 3SIS? And if so, with what? I love mine, but I really think it has been used to death and would like to replace it with another Canon. I tried a FX150IS, but hated it because it was SOOO slow in flash and consecutive shots; battery use was another issue. I'm just wondering what everyone else is using if they have had to replace the 3S...

Funny, I just replaced mine last week. :) Honestly it was hard figuring out what to get. I ended up with a fuji fineprix 660 EXR. I'm happy it with it so far but am still getting used to it.

Thought I'd restart this thread to ask...has anyone replaced ther 3SIS? And if so, with what? I love mine, but I really think it has been used to death and would like to replace it with another Canon. I tried a FX150IS, but hated it because it was SOOO slow in flash and consecutive shots; battery use was another issue. I'm just wondering what everyone else is using if they have had to replace the 3S...
Yes. I replaced my beaten up S3IS with a gently used.... S3IS. :goodvibes

It honestly doesn't get a lot of use today as I/we use the dSLR and Olympus PEN most of the time, but for quick snapshots and ease of use I like having it around.

Yep, I upgraded to the SX40HS and added a 430EXII flash. Now I need to buy the Lensmate adapter, UV filter, and a ND8 filter. I do have the adapter and filters for my S3.

The S3IS is still a great camera and I still have mine!!!

I went with the SX40 as well. It is a little bit bulkier, but still far smaller than carrying around an slr lens with that much zoom. I have gotten some great shots so far and I still haven't even peeked in the manual yet. And it seems like the price has dropped about $50 in the last month or so. I already had a price adjustment from Best Buy, then they dropped their own price even further.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter