Can't decide between Knotts and Legoland

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
We're staying at the Paradise Pier for five nights in October. We know we'll do four days at DL & DCA, but one day we'd like to go somewhere else to break things up a bit.

We have two little boys, ages 7 and 3. We have been to Knotts before and thought it was fun, but we've never been to Legoland before.

On the one hand, Knotts is so close and convenient to DL that it would be easy to get to even during the workweek traffic. Legoland is not close to DL and traffic is horrible to and from San Diego to Anaheim. (We've driven it when we went to Sea World one year, and it was bumper to bumper most of the way.)

But, on the other hand, I think our boys would really like Legoland, especially considering their ages. It looks like it would be a wonderful place to take young boys, and we'd like to take them there while they're still young enough to really enjoy it.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us? Help us choose between Knotts and Legoland - WE NEED YOUR HELP. :thumbsup2

I vote for Legoland. If you leave Anaheim around 9:00 am, you should miss most of the morning commute. Spend the day at Legoland, have dinner in Carlsbad and drive back to Anaheim around 7:00 pm and you will miss most of the evening commute.

I vote for Legoland, too. Your boys are the right age to really enjoy it. And the food there is really good--and healthy.

Legoland is perfect for 7 and 3 year olds.

Woody

I vote for Knotts. Camp Snoopy is great for the little kids and there is so much to do. Otheer things like the Steam train, Calico Mine Ride and stagecoach are also great for the kids. Plus, you can't beat Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant for lunch or dinner.

Knott's used to be a great place - in the 60s and 70s. Last time I went it was run down, dirty, and filled with gang bangers.

I would go to LegoLand.

While I agree that Knott's is not kept as clean as Disneyland, I have to disagree with previous poster. Knott's is not run down, dirty, or filled with gang bangers. We bought AP last Nov. (they are soo cheap!) and have been several times since then. October will be a perfect time to go since when local kids are back in school Knott's is practically deserted. We have been in Nov, Jan, and May and have riden more rides than we can count. Also, my DD6 loves the rides in Camp Snoopy. She also likes the more adults rides too (the ones she's tall enough for.) And of course Knott's has that delicious fried chicken-yummo! Or you can got just outside the park to The Claim Jumper which is one of the best restaurants in Orange County.

We've been to Legoland twice but we much prefer Knott's. To us, Knott's has more rides and things to do. We are about 30-40 min. for Knott's and 1 hr. from Legoland.

If you decide on Legoland, their hours in Oct. are reduced. The are open only on Sun, Mon, Tues, Fri, and Sat.. They are open 10-6. I couldn't find Knott's hours for October. If you decide on Legoland I would leave by 8 a.m. or you won't get there until after they open. It will take you, I would guess, 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. to get to Carlsbad from Anaheim in the a.m. unless you go on Sunday (Saturday traffic going south is almost as bad as weekday traffic.)

Have a great time whichever one you choose! :goodvibes

disney-super-mom said:
We're staying at the Paradise Pier for five nights in October. We know we'll do four days at DL & DCA, but one day we'd like to go somewhere else to break things up a bit.

We have two little boys, ages 7 and 3. We have been to Knotts before and thought it was fun, but we've never been to Legoland before.

On the one hand, Knotts is so close and convenient to DL that it would be easy to get to even during the workweek traffic. Legoland is not close to DL and traffic is horrible to and from San Diego to Anaheim. (We've driven it when we went to Sea World one year, and it was bumper to bumper most of the way.)

But, on the other hand, I think our boys would really like Legoland, especially considering their ages. It looks like it would be a wonderful place to take young boys, and we'd like to take them there while they're still young enough to really enjoy it.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us? Help us choose between Knotts and Legoland - WE NEED YOUR HELP. :thumbsup2
I would vote for Legoland. Your boys will love it and it's newer than Knotts. The one and only time we went to Knotts, it was in the middle of a DL trip. We were soooo disappointed after being at Disney. Knotts was run down and dirty and other than Camp Snoopy which was great for the kids, most of the rides are more suitable for older kids. It's really hard to enjoy other parks once you've done Disney where everything is so pristine, thought out, and installed w/ a generous budget.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot regarding Knott's during October. During October Knott's has the Halloween Haunt (they haven't released the schedule yet) but what that means is that the park does close early when the Haunt is going on. I think at 6 p.m. So their hours are probably the same as Legoland 10-6.

However, I would still go to Knott's since due to the shortened hours the park is pretty much deserted during the day (weekdays) and your boys would be able to ride everything as often as they want.

I'd go with Knotts only because it's a lot closer and less driving to deal with. I've never been to Legoland, nor do I even care to go, but Knotts is a total blast for ALL ages.

I vote for Legoland - not only will your boys love it but so will you. Miniland is not to be missed - there are many important buildings from the US replicated in Legos - very cool.

If you run out of things to do at Legoland there is a small outlet mall nearby and then there's always the ocean which is very close to Legoland.

We will be heading back to Legoland next Sunday after moving away from San Diego 5 years ago. We went to Legoland many times while we lived there.

I hope whatever you decide you have a great time. :thumbsup2

We took our sons to Legoland when they were 7 & 4 and not only did they love it, but so did all the grown ups. The little towns they made with Legos are very cool to look at and there was plenty to do. Plus there's an inside area where they can make & race cars where you can either participate or sit and relax while they're busy. We drove up the night before and spent the night. We got there at opening, stayed until closing and then drove back to Anaheim. It worked out perfect. Have fun!

The more I think about it, Legoland should be visited on a separate vacation. I can't see you folks driving that long distance between parks. Dealing with traffic is not fun for anyone, and that's what you'd get on the South 5 to Canyon Rd. in Carlsbad. If you really are considering the trek down, you have to leave early to avoid traffic, probably around 6 a.m. It's going to be an all-day thing, too, so you won't be leaving back up to Paradise Pier until well after 7 or 8 p.m. at night. Without traffic by then, you should be back by 9:30-10 at the latest. I don't know. I'm not trying to ruin your vacation, I'm trying to think of all the driving you'd be doing. It can be done, but everyone will be very tired by the end of the day.

Tink33 said:
I vote for Legoland. If you leave Anaheim around 9:00 am, you should miss most of the morning commute. Spend the day at Legoland, have dinner in Carlsbad and drive back to Anaheim around 7:00 pm and you will miss most of the evening commute.

This is what we did when we went to Sea World for the day. We actually found the drive quite enjoyable..beautiful coastline etc! The fall is such a great time to go! We did however feel a bit rushed with the reduced hours in the fall so next time we will drive down the night before and then do Legoland.

I vote legoland, although it has been a few years since we went to Knott's I was disappointed in it, I thought it was dirty and run down. We have been to Legoland 3 times in the last 6 years and enjoyed them all. even as my kids have gotten older we went last Sept. and had a great time.

You will have a great time with boys 7 and 3 at Legoland

We have 3yr and 7yr old boys here, and I vote Legoland, hands down! My boys adore legoland and we bought season passes. We also have AP's for DL, but Legoland is a more fun relaxed day for them I think. Not as much lines, more stuff to just PLAY. I don't think you'd regret taking them there at all, the drive is worth it.

Just returned from our CA trip and did Legoland last week - I was so surprised at all this park had to offer. It was much larger than I had expected - very clean, family atmosphere. DNeph (8) and I had a great day there - I would definitely choose LL at those ages - don't miss the little cars (and the boats) that the kids can drive themselves - my DNeph gladly doled out the $6 to get his picture driver's license - I think it was his favorite souvenir of the whole trip!!! :thumbsup2

My vote would be Knotts. We have done Legoland and did enjoy it, but with SoCal traffic I would do the less driving route. Plus, Knotts should be really dead and you can do a lot. We have always done Knotts in November and it was nice. No lines and we could go on anything and do a lot. We really enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter