Can't decide between Knotts and Legoland

We went to Legoland during a San Diego trip. I have to say (and looks like I'm in the minority), my kids were kind of bored wth it. They were 6 and 9 when we went. They thought the rides were baby-ish. It would be great for your younger child, but the older one may think the rides are too young. There are 2 or 3 larger rides but the one my DS really wanted to go on was shut down. They did like playing with the Legos, but we can do that at home.

I also think the park was over priced compared to what you get at Disney. While it was clean, my DS's Spiderman ball cap was stolen. He had it right next to him while he was building with Legos, but when he got up to leave, his hat was gone. He was in tears. We looked everywhere and checked to see if anyone turned it in. The park was not that big and I remembered that we kept seeing the same people throughout the day, so I had my eyes peeled for that hat. I found it an hour later. A boy in line for a ride was wearing it! I asked him where he got his hat but he didn't speak English. I asked his mother and she talked to him in spanish and then he took the hat off and handed to me. The mom said in broken english that she was sorry. I don't understand how a parent can let a child wear a hat that they know clearly is not theirs! Oh well, at least we got it back. I ddn't let DS wear it until I kept it in a plastic ziplock bag for a few days. Good thing it was the last day of our trip.

All in all, I would not make that long drive from Anaheim unless you are staying in the San Diego area for a trip there. Maybe we are spoiiled with Disney parks, but Legoland was a letdown for us. It would have been great if our kids were 3 and 4 years old though.

Definately Legoland. I have three ages 3 to 8 and they loved it. I would save Knotts for when they are older. :rotfl: I will be in Disneyland Oct. 22-24.
Can't wait!!

LostInDisney

disney-super-mom said:
We're staying at the Paradise Pier for five nights in October. We know we'll do four days at DL & DCA, but one day we'd like to go somewhere else to break things up a bit.

We have two little boys, ages 7 and 3. We have been to Knotts before and thought it was fun, but we've never been to Legoland before.

On the one hand, Knotts is so close and convenient to DL that it would be easy to get to even during the workweek traffic. Legoland is not close to DL and traffic is horrible to and from San Diego to Anaheim. (We've driven it when we went to Sea World one year, and it was bumper to bumper most of the way.)

But, on the other hand, I think our boys would really like Legoland, especially considering their ages. It looks like it would be a wonderful place to take young boys, and we'd like to take them there while they're still young enough to really enjoy it.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us? Help us choose between Knotts and Legoland - WE NEED YOUR HELP. :thumbsup2

Totally Legoland! We just went this July with our girls 5 and 7YO. They LOVED it! I had no clue they would love it so much. We were shocked that we ended up 'closing down' the park. There were a few things that we thought were pretty goofy (like the Pirate ride they show on the commercials, so lame compared to what they advertise LOL) but so many unexpected great things too!

My 7YO was quite the little dare devil that day (normally she is SO not!) and her and Dad enjoyed all the 'thrill' attractions. They LOVED the Knights Joust and probably would have ridden that all day if 5YO and I had let them :teeth: There were other things though that 5YO adored that 7YO could have done without for sure, like the Fairy Tale ride. -- But all in all we were shocked how much there was to do and how much my girls loved it. We didn't even have time to do any shows or do any of the hands on stuff.

Our least favorites and things we would DEFINATLY skip again if they had lines BTW, the ride where you 'pedal' around the park (you'll understand what I mean when you're there!). It was a 45 minute wait and not that special. The boats. I've heard good things about them and maybe they weren't working well when we were there but a boy got stuck when we were waiting and DD got stuck when we went and the guy had to come save her (and the boy before) and the ride just wasn't that fun. Not worth the wait or hassle. -- And I wouldn't get your hopes up too high about the pirate thing. We were shocked by what a 'no big deal' ride it was. We expected alot more (it was perfectly fun I suppose, but I sat there the whole time thinking 'really, this is it?').

Maybe to help avoid traffic you can hang out in Carlsbad until late and drive after the traffic? I'm not very familiar with the traffic patterns down there. Sorry.

Another vote for Legoland. My son 10 loves it still. Even the calmer rides he likes tho not the #5 on that extreme ride (forget the name of it).
My favorite is the fairy tale ride especially near the end of the day, I find it so relaxing and cool being in the trees and with the mist going.
We spent 3 days there this summer and closed it down each time. The Big Shop is nuts at closing time. The fried apples are also a nice treat. I agree with the poster about the bicycle ride. Not worth the wait. Son did the Mindstorms sessions a couple times and loved it. I did to, thinking the Mindstorms set might be a Xmas present, if I can find it on sale.

Go to Legoland. I took my family to Knott's about a year ago and the place was filthy! disgusting bathrooms and trash everywhere. It is a shame! When I was a kid it was owned by the Knott family and was a really nice place, now it is just a grimy roller coaster park. Save your money!

My boys are 8 and 11 yrs. On our trip in December :wizard: we plan to go on Sunday. Will traffic be bad on Sunday? :confused3 How long is the drive, I thought it was about 1 hr 20min? My boys are lego fans and we will be going :moped: seeing as I would like to go before they are to old and it's not fun anymore. :sunny: I think a drive down the coast would be great seeing as they have not seen the Pacific Ocean yet. pirate:

Echo queen said:
My boys are 8 and 11 yrs. On our trip in December :wizard: we plan to go on Sunday. Will traffic be bad on Sunday? :confused3 How long is the drive, I thought it was about 1 hr 20min? My boys are lego fans and we will be going :moped: seeing as I would like to go before they are to old and it's not fun anymore. :sunny: I think a drive down the coast would be great seeing as they have not seen the Pacific Ocean yet. pirate:

Oh, Sunday won't be bad at ALL! My friend came down last Sunday actually, from Anaheim. It took her just an hour, totally worth it :)

I think your boys are a good age, they will have a lot of fun. In addition to the rides, there is a neat 3D show, they can build with the mindstorms, or try the video games. I think they'll have a great time, and you will too!

Enjoy your trip!

If you are early risers and can leave for Legoland by 8, then go for that. Otherwise go to Knotts. The 5 freeway has carpool lanes thus traffic going down to Legoland won't be bad. Coming back I'd say eat outside the park at a sitdown restaurant then drive back sometime after 6:30.

My 4 year old daughter likes both places and we've been passsholders at Knotts in the past, but for your kids ages Legoland will be more enjoyable. Sadly Knotts realized they couldn't compete on theming thus are going for the rollercoaster generation.

SoCalKDG said:
. . . Sadly Knotts realized they couldn't compete on theming thus are going for the rollercoaster generation.
Sad but true. I miss the classic Knotts.

Woody

Legoland all the way! Your boys are the perfect age to enjoy every ride, even the 3 year old. We first took our boys there when they were 5 and 2. The 2 year old was able to go on most every ride and we all had a great time.

Besides the rides, they have lots of great exhibits. We love walking through Miniatureland where they have lego models of US landmarks. We went in 2000, right after the Bush/Gore presidential election. It was in early December when the votes were still being counted. In the White House model, we cracked up when we noticed two little figures in front of the door having a tug-of-war with an American flag. It was Bush and Gore, fighting it out!

Our boys are now 8 & 11 and we want to go back to Legoland before the older one thinks it's not "cool" anymore! :)

Knott's is not run down, dirty, or filled with gang bangers.

You are free to disagree, but what I posted was my experience the last time I went to Knott's, which was several years ago. It was completely changed from what it was when I was a kid back in the 60s-70s and growing up in So California (I loved Knotts, would rather have gone there than Disneyland). It was a great place then, small but with lots to do and was clean and uncrowded.

Last time I visited it was very dirty and there were MANY gang members roaming the park. It is possible that the place has been cleaned up; I hope so.

Legoland is great. I haven't been to Knotts in years, but I have heard over the years that it has become more thrill rides and less family oriented.

Legoland is very clean and has rides perfect for kids your age. We've gone twice, last year was the last time. My kids were 7 and 9 and a half at the time. The 7 year old loved it. He actually likes it better than Disneyland. The 9 and a half year old was a little bored on our 2nd day there, but you can really do the whole park in 1 day if you get there early.

You said you are going on a Sunday. The drive is about 1 hour. The only problem area is the Orange Crush (where the 5 and 405 merge in Orange County). This won't be a problem early in the day on a Sunday. Plus, it won't be a problem coming back (the 5 and 405 divide rather than merge).

Hi there
We took our son to Legoland when he was 8 and our daughter was 6. That was in 2003. They both loved it! It was the highlight of my son's trip. Personally, I was disappointed at the quality aspect as disney can't be beat. It was a letdown from my perspective, but the kids loved it there.
We didn't go to Knott's because we had heard how it had gone downhill.
Oh the drive to Legoland was a bit long but we went in May and it was nice and sunny. Part of the drive was along the ocean. It was a long day but a nice getaway too!
Good luck deciding:goodvibes

OP - I am curious what you decided in the end, Legoland or Knott's? And what was your opinion of the place you chose? :goodvibes

If your child likes legos at all, Go to Legoland. It's really cool what they can do with Legos. :cheer2:

I have personally never been to Legoland because every person that I have come across has told me that my kids are still too young and its quite expensive too. My kids are 5 and 4. My cousin even suggested that I put it off until they are 6 or 7 at earliest and she went with her 3 kids who ranged from 3 to 7.

On the other hand, I am hesitant to recommend Knott's as well. It has definitely gone downhill since Cedar Fair took over. I went 2 years ago with my kids and they loved...I stress love Camp Snoopy. That's about all that's good about the place...well maybe the funnel cake...and Haunt but you definitely don't bring little ones to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter