***Can't keep us down...OFFICIAL MAY 2021 THREAD...come heck or high water we're going to WDW!!!***

Hi everyone! We were originally book for late January 2021, but coming from Canada it's still likely be a bit dicey. So we made the hard decision to move our trip to May 2-10. It seems like such a long ways away, but such is the reality of the moment. We are new DVC owners at the Rivera, and fairly new owners at the Polynesian. At the moment we are booked 3 days at the Poly and for the first time will get to use our Rivera points with 5 days at the Rivera. But may aim to replace our time at the Poly with either a Boardwalk or Contemporary stay.

Thanks for this thread!

Hi everyone! We were originally book for late January 2021, but coming from Canada it's still likely be a bit dicey. So we made the hard decision to move our trip to May 2-10. It seems like such a long ways away, but such is the reality of the moment. We are new DVC owners at the Rivera, and fairly new owners at the Polynesian. At the moment we are booked 3 days at the Poly and for the first time will get to use our Rivera points with 5 days at the Rivera. But may aim to replace our time at the Poly with either a Boardwalk or Contemporary stay.

Thanks for this thread!

Yay! Welcome to May!!! I've added you to the list. You are staying at nice places!

:jumping1:

I'm sure booking will ramp up over the winter, but I'm surprised at how small our list is still.
I've done two October threads and I remember having a hard time keeping up with all the people.

It is early days though. And you know...Covid. Also, maybe October is just a more crowded time to go.

I kind of like it small!
:D

I was just commenting on another thread - I'm sure capacity will be increased by the time we go as I'm sure Covid will be completely different by then, BUT, just saying it isn't - I'm so happy we booked hotel and park days already. So even if they keep the same capacity as now, we can go! :D

So the WV governor announced today that schools can't open until September 8. This may cause a wrinkle in the plans if school doesn't end until mid June because of this. :sad: There is still a lot of uncertainty.

So the WV governor announced today that schools can't open until September 8. This may cause a wrinkle in the plans if school doesn't end until mid June because of this. :sad: There is still a lot of uncertainty.
How old are they? Just take them out for a week. Lots of parents do that. 🤷🏼‍♀️

How old are they? Just take them out for a week. Lots of parents do that. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yes we used to do that so we could go in November. But the oldest is going to be in 10th grade and doesn't want to miss. My school system has also gotten stricter about teachers days off so I don't want to get in trouble there.

If we need to we will just move the trip (again) to later in the summer but I was hoping to go when it is "cooler". It probably won't be that big of a difference.

Yes we used to do that so we could go in November. But the oldest is going to be in 10th grade and doesn't want to miss. My school system has also gotten stricter about teachers days off so I don't want to get in trouble there.

If we need to we will just move the trip (again) to later in the summer but I was hoping to go when it is "cooler". It probably won't be that big of a difference.
Oh yea I didn’t realize that you were a teacher. I wouldn’t be able to take off either but I do have my students take off random days or a week for vacation

As it stands Alaska schools still let out May 20th regardless of a late start and snow days,fingers crossed 🤞 🌈🌞❤️ We plan to fly out that night 😳

As it stands Alaska schools still let out May 20th regardless of a late start and snow days,fingers crossed 🤞 🌈🌞❤ We plan to fly out that night 😳
I just found out that we won't go past June 1. I plan to arrive May 30. May 31 is a holiday. I may have to take a day or work a day when we get back for the end of the year prep day. So it seems it will work out. I'm not sure what we will do on snow days. Maybe we will do remote learning and not have to make them up.

I just found out that we won't go past June 1. I plan to arrive May 30. May 31 is a holiday. I may have to take a day or work a day when we get back for the end of the year prep day. So it seems it will work out. I'm not sure what we will do on snow days. Maybe we will do remote learning and not have to make them up.
I have a feeling a true snow day may be a thing of the past after this is all over 😭

The school schedules might change! Will cross my fingers!

My son is in college in Virginia. Right now, they're starting on time at the end of August, but moving 100% online the Friday before Thanksgiving. Spring semester is delayed until the end of January, and there's no Spring Break, so they'll still finish the semester on time in early May.

And this is assuming that they don't have a surge in cases and close the entire thing down like they did back in March and he's schooling at home again.

Hi everybody!!!

Hope you are well!

I've been watching all the videos from the opening and I'm so super excited for next May!!!!!!
Even with masks, we'll be there!

What a week. My 81 year old mom fell and broke her femur. Had to have a rod put in. So now she's in the rehab unit at the hospital - luckily we were able to keep her out of a nursing home, for now at least.
No one can visit, not even my dad, so we call her and wave outside the hospital window. Her short-term memory is funky, so everyday she calls, cries and asks why she can't come home, or why no one comes to see her. :(
Obviously this affecting my father the most, but luckily we all have a sense of humor about it, even mom, and hopefully she can go home next week and continue therapy there.

But we keep going! Enjoying the summer weather, grilling a lot outside, bothering the cat and looking forward to vacation! Most of all, staying positive! It's the only way to live.
:)

Hi everybody!!!

Hope you are well!

I've been watching all the videos from the opening and I'm so super excited for next May!!!!!!
Even with masks, we'll be there!

What a week. My 81 year old mom fell and broke her femur. Had to have a rod put in. So now she's in the rehab unit at the hospital - luckily we were able to keep her out of a nursing home, for now at least.
No one can visit, not even my dad, so we call her and wave outside the hospital window. Her short-term memory is funky, so everyday she calls, cries and asks why she can't come home, or why no one comes to see her. :(
Obviously this affecting my father the most, but luckily we all have a sense of humor about it, even mom, and hopefully she can go home next week and continue therapy there.

But we keep going! Enjoying the summer weather, grilling a lot outside, bothering the cat and looking forward to vacation! Most of all, staying positive! It's the only way.
Ugh I’m so sorry about your mom. I hope she recovers quickly!

Ugh I’m so sorry about your mom. I hope she recovers quickly!

Thank you! My parents are so young for 81 that sometimes I forget how old they are. Unfortunately at the start of year she had galbladder removed, then a few weeks ago in hospital for bad UTI - which is very dangerous in elderly, then on the mend and boom! Broken femur. :rolleyes:

2018 (I had some health issues) I said, 2019 will be great! Um, nope, Cashew died. So then we said 2020 will be awesome, well....:rotfl:

At this point we've decided to be ambivalent about 2021. ;)

Just popping in to say hi and check if any new recruits!

Hi! :wave:

I know the news is bleak lately and things seem like it won't get better, but try and stay positive!

I have confidence that by early next year we will be in a completely (better) different place. There are actually a few very promising treatment trials going on right now. It's not reported in the headlines because it's not really going to make a difference for issues right now, but doctors are quite hopeful about these treatments. Of course most are waiting for a vaccine, but if we get good therapeutics for Covid, that will go a loooong way to helping us get back to normal while we wait for a vaccine.

Anywhoo, I hope you all are well, having a great weekend and try to enjoy life as it is! It's all we can do.

Just popping in to say hi and check if any new recruits!

Hi! :wave:

I know the news is bleak lately and things seem like it won't get better, but try and stay positive!

I have confidence that by early next year we will be in a completely (better) different place. There are actually a few very promising treatment trials going on right now. It's not reported in the headlines because it's not really going to make a difference for issues right now, but doctors are quite hopeful about these treatments. Of course most are waiting for a vaccine, but if we get good therapeutics for Covid, that will go a loooong way to helping us get back to normal while we wait for a vaccine.

Anywhoo, I hope you all are well, having a great weekend and try to enjoy life as it is! It's all we can do.

Just me personally, I’d rather have a treatment than a vaccine - so that sounds great. Thanks for this uplifting news

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter