Car Insurance Increase

smilie

I've been unwonked!
Has your car insurance increased recently? Our insurance company said that the rates in SC have gone up, that is why the increase in our policy....

Has anyone else seen an increase?

Ours haven't gone up yet but we aren't up for renewal for a few more months. What percentage increase did you see?

We changed insurance a couple of years ago from State Farm to Liberty Mutual since they were cheaper for the same coverage. They also gave a discount through my employer. The next year at renewal they took a large increase. We dropped them and went with another company.

Any increase in your rate will not necessary apply to anyone else. Every carrier has a different "appetite" to write in certain states, write certain types of policies, etc...then add in the fact that your rate is based on many factors unique to you that comparisons have little meaning.

Generally speaking, yes rates are slowly rising. South Carolina can be a very difficult state to write auto insurance in, very plaintiff friendly. That will definitely drive up rates.

Hard to tell, I dropped my daughter and her car from our policy, traded in a 31 year old vehicle without collision coverage and got a 2018 with collision coverage.
Net impact, my cost is down $500 a year. But it does appear my base rate dropped about $25 for 6 months not counting the changes I made in cars, drivers and coverage.

Mine increased recently too. We called the insurance company and were told it's because NY regulations changed. Leave it to NY to keep socking it to us.....

TBH if you're looking for validation into why your rates increased no one can really answer that but your insurance agent.

Your insurance premium is not going to have the same factors as someone else's so comparing rates with others is fairly useless. But if you feel your rate is not what you'd like it to be why not sit down with your agent to go over your coverage, the auto product you are in, etc.

As to what Klayfish spoke to the insurance company I used to work for refused to write in South Carolina (and FWIW North Carolina as well) because of the climate towards insurance companies-a few other states were that way too with them. I believe they had a specialty carrier or non-standard carrier they owned that they had in that state.

We took a 11% rate increase on car and nearly 20% on the home. Decided to shop around and found a bit cheaper, but not by much. We actually pay more in auto insurance per year for 4 people/cars than we pay for our mortgage, with only 1 claim(under 1K) in the past 15 years.

I just got an email this week that we were getting a $3.24 check mailed to us because of a decrease in our car insurance. No idea why, DH retired last year and is driving less, who knows?

Every 10 years or so we switch companies and get a lower price.

Yep. I have AAA and mine went up nearly 20%. A coworker said hers did the same and it was blamed on the wild fires we had this past October.

I pick up a new vehicle next week so I'm calling my carrier to arrange the new policy tomorrow. I'll be interested to see if my rates go up - it is a slightly more expensive vehicle than my present one, but not much. Right now the 10 y.o. beater without collision my DS (21) drives costs almost as much per month to insure as mine or my DH's cars do with full coverage and very low deductibles. :sad1:

I'm a little afraid of our car insurance rates this year. I had a very minor fender bender accident in a parking lot (completely my fault), and I tried to work it out with the other driver for cash, but he thought his 30 year old buick was worth 4500. Uh no. Not on a bet. I offered to pay him full blue book value for the car, and to let him keep it (totally drivable) and he refused. So, insurance did it for him. Dummy. Anyway, pretty sure my rates won't like that. Note: my very first at fault "accident" ever. Then, in relatively short order, I got a ticket for a "rolling stop" at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood near my home. I definitely slowed down A LOT (near stop), saw that there was no one there, and got a ticket anyway. What was really irritating is that the police officer asked me how my record was (perfect...again, no speeding tickets or moving violations of any kind in over 40 years of driving), asked me if I had any other criminal record (absolutely do not), went back to his car, and ticketed me anyway. Very, very annoying. It's a stop sign that I would estimate at least 80% of people "roll through." I know because I walk that neighborhood all.the.time and see it every single day. I just got unlucky with a cop who was apparently in a bad mood. Anyway, absolutely a bad double whammy. It's not going to be pretty. LOL. The only saving grace is that our vehicles are all at least 6 years old, and we can drop collision on another one this year (because the blue book value is so low that we wouldn't get much anyway).

I definitely slowed down A LOT (near stop), saw that there was no one there, and got a ticket anyway. What was really irritating is that the police officer asked me how my record was (perfect...again, no speeding tickets or moving violations of any kind in over 40 years of driving), asked me if I had any other criminal record (absolutely do not), went back to his car, and ticketed me anyway. Very, very annoying. It's a stop sign that I would estimate at least 80% of people "roll through."
Might be best..to you know..stop the rolling stops just to be on the safe side.

My aunt got a ticket several weeks ago for that too. Not fully stopping at a stop sign. She appearantly does the rolling stop thing often.

We have a stop sign at the end of our neighborhood (the stop sign is at the bottom of a hill) which a lot of people tend to not fully stop at. It's not going to be a 'bad mood' cop that is going to write a ticket. We know the police every so often are in the area (normally just going through as part of neighborhood watch but also sometimes to catch speeders on the road that is 40mph that is easier to go faster on as well as when people park on the 1 lane each way main road of our neighborhood because they want to take pictures in front of our waterfall). You do a rolling stop there, even with a lot of people doing it, and you take on the risk that will be the time the cop is nearby. Supposedly they are supposed to put a roundabout down there one day instead of the stop sign and that will be the bane of our existence. Not looking forward to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter