Car insurance questions - Moving to New York State

I have had no tickets or accidents, nor has my 18 year old daughter- I have a 2016 Toyota Camry and a 2007 Honda Civic- I have collision on the Toyota and just basic ins on the Civic and am paying 3000 a year. I was paying 800 a year until my daughter got her license and a car and now I am killed- worse thing is she is only home for 2 months a year- the car sits in front of my house the other 10 months. She goes to school in Boston but because there are two cars my ins company automatically assigns her as primary drive of one of them. So I would be happy as heck to only pay 400 each car for 6 month policy! Can't imagine you will find anything cheaper than that in NY!

If the car is only used 2 months out of the year, see about taking the car off the road and cancelling coverage during those 10 months. Just add the car back on right before she comes home to use it. Cancel again when she's gone. Or see if you can do a 6 month policy. It might be a lot cheaper that way.

If the car is only used 2 months out of the year, see about taking the car off the road and cancelling coverage during those 10 months. Just add the car back on right before she comes home to use it. Cancel again when she's gone. Or see if you can do a 6 month policy. It might be a lot cheaper that way.

I thought about that too but we can't have an unregistered car without plates in the driveway or in front of the house and we don't have a garage to store it in.

The operative word is "resident." I don't know about now, but previously, people just coming to NYS as college students weren't necessarily considered residents. Especially if their real home address is in another state (their parent's address.) There was a different category for them, like "temporary residents" or something like that.

IF these two kids will be considered residents of NYS, and they live here for a period of time and are of an a certain income range, then they may qualify for the FREE College tuition program for CUNY & SUNY colleges. It's the first program like this in the country. :worship: :worship: :worship: I love our governor! :thumbsup2

https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free-degree-program-excelsior-scholarship

Also, if one of the kids gets into New York University as a Med student, NYU is giving free tuition for all med students, funded by NYU medical alumni. :thumbsup2 To be clear, NYU is not to be confused as one of the city or state colleges. It is a top tier 1 private college, up there with Princeton, Yale, Harvard, etc. And the Med program at NYU is one of the top in the country. (A proud plug for my alma mater - although I wasn't in the med school.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/nyregion/nyu-free-tuition-medical-school.html
If either of those cases above are the situation, then pay for the car insurance. You will be already getting quite a savings. :thumbsup2 :)

What's the state income tax rate.

I remember dad telling me " nothing in this world is free. One way or another you will pay for it"

I thought about that too but we can't have an unregistered car without plates in the driveway or in front of the house and we don't have a garage to store it in.

:badpc:

Can you throw one of those car covers/tarps over it to show it's not "in use"?

What's the state income tax rate.

I remember dad telling me " nothing in this world is free. One way or another you will pay for it"

That might be veering this discussion in a "point-worthy" direction :duck: and moving it off-topic. :ssst: You may have to Google the info on your own. :surfweb:

The operative word is "resident." I don't know about now, but previously, people just coming to NYS as college students weren't necessarily considered residents. Especially if their real home address is in another state (their parent's address.) There was a different category for them, like "temporary residents" or something like that.

Yep! Undergrad and grad students moving here to NY are not counted as residents by the state, so the DMV doesn't require them to register or switch over their licenses.

I guess the real question is, how does North Carolina feel about it?

As previous posters have mentioned, location within NYS will have a huge effect on insurance rates. We pay about $800 every 6 months in upstate NY for two vehicles (2012, 2015) with good driving records for pretty comprehensive coverage. That's a lot less than we paid in metro Detroit but more than other places we've lived. Less than friends in metro NYC. Also, as previous posters have mentioned, no yearly large registration fee like some states have.

I could do a whole thread just on NYS bureaucracy and hidden costs associated with moving here! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this is where we landed, but man, there were a lot of surprises for us coming from two other states!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter