Car Rental Drop Off?

MoCanada

Earning My Ears
I am going to pre-face this by saying that I have tried to read through as many posts as I could trying to find an answer, but haven't quite seen this issue brought up....

We are staying on Disney property for 6 nights and then transferring to Universal Studios for 3 nights at the end of our trip. I've looked at taxi, shuttle, uber, etc options, but was wondering about the possibility of renting a car and driving up to Universal Studios (hitting a couple shopping locations on the way :car:)

Wondering - If I rent a vehicle on Disney property, can I drop it off at or close Universal Studios without having to return it back to the Disney rental location?

:thanks:

You'll need to look for rental locations close to Universal, but yes. Note that you might also be charged a (sometimes large) for dropping off at a different location. You'll need to price it out and see.

Avis is the car rental concessionaire for the hotel at Universal Orlando. Using them would make the trip easiest.

There is an Avis location at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista across the street from the Marketplace section of Disney Springs. I'm not sure if they have pick-up service. But, it would be very easy to take a bus to Disney Springs and then walk over. Grab your car, drive back to your Disney Resort to get luggage and people.

Hint: To find the Hilton location on the Avis website, search "Lake Buena Vista" and not "Orlando" in the location box.

I've started/ended one-way car rentals at that Avis office 8-10 times over the past few years. Only had one small hiccup that got fixed with a single email. I wouldn't hesitate to rent from there again.

As FCDub notes, whether it makes financial sense will depend upon the prices. Outside of Enterprise, I don't think any of the major car rental companies charge drop off fees for intra-Florida rentals. I think that's mostly just so they can advertise "No Drop Off Fees", though. What they do is simply increase the rental rate by a huge amount. But, that's not a given. It just depends upon your date of travel and if they need to move cars around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter