Carioca's will be closed on our cruise : (

We just got off the Magic today. Cabanas was our 2nd rotation and it was BUFFET! Didn't have our regular servers, didn't have table numbers, no table cloths, had a waitress bring us a drink but that was it. My husband was not happy. No discount on tips or anything. We were crammed in there for our family of 7. Seemed to be the same chicken fingers, mac and cheese etc they had for lunch that day....
For me, personally, that's something that warrants a comment directly to DCL. It would really be unacceptable to me. I don't mind if they need to move me to Cabanas to replace a dining room that's being remodeled (or whatever), but at least treat it like it's still a dining room. Table numbers, same dining team, same menus that would be in the closed MDR.

I don't understand why they couldn't do that.

We just got off the Magic today. Cabanas was our 2nd rotation and it was BUFFET! Didn't have our regular servers, didn't have table numbers, no table cloths, had a waitress bring us a drink but that was it. My husband was not happy. No discount on tips or anything. We were crammed in there for our family of 7. Seemed to be the same chicken fingers, mac and cheese etc they had for lunch that day....

That is really odd. Considering that they offer a full sit down menu in Cabana's on all but the first and last nights regularly, I don't understand why they wouldn't just at least offer you that experience. It sounds as if they just basically extended the lunch buffet into dinner. We aren't buffet fans and Disney's is no exception. We avoid Cabanas as much as possible except for the occasional breakfast. I'll have to admit that it takes quite a bit to annoy me when we are on vacation, but this would. I really feel for the folks that got stuck in Cabanas more than once on their rotation.

I seem to recall earlier in this thread that it was mentioned that Disney was planning on extra entertainment while you were in Cabanas. Did they at least come through on that?

That does not sound at all like the email said guests would experience.

Sorry if I missed the timeline....so is the Magic going into drydock or did it just come out of drydock?

MJ

That does not sound at all like the email said guests would experience.

Sorry if I missed the timeline....so is the Magic going into drydock or did it just come out of drydock?

MJ

Magic is on her last cruise right now before Dry Dock

Wow. I would not be okay with that and would be complaining. I am very go with the flow (and I understand that I signed a cruise contract saying that DCL can do anything they want during my cruise) but I would be upset.

Carioca’s didn’t last very long compared to the other MDRs. What prompted the change?
One of those articles said that they are capitalizing on the success of themes like Tiana's. I guess Carioca's just wasn't a hit.

I was on the 4 night Magic from 2/14-2/18. I too went into the Cabanas night thinking it was going to be a sit down dinner as I've read the buffet usually is at night. Very upset when I entered to find them taking room numbers and taking you to a table and then telling you to enjoy the buffet. I found it to be very rushed, with the wait-staff hovering over you to clear your plates away as soon as you finished (or they thought you were finished) as there was only 45 minutes scheduled for dinner. I approached my head server and complained explaining that I thought it would be a sit down meal and that we should have been advised sooner that it was going to be a buffet as I would have then attempted to book Palo since it would have been free for me. The enhanced entertainment were magicians doing card tricks, metal ring tricks, etc.
I also complained on the comment card and will also be sending an email to DCL.

Extra entertainment? No. There was a magician going around the room, never got to our table. Probably because we were squeezed in so tight there wasn't room for him to get to us. My husband let them have it on the comment cards and he wrote a letter. we had 2 cards because with a family of 7 we have to book 2 rooms. Very disappointed in this. We also talked to our head waiter the next day when we went to lunch in Lumiere's and he said there were lots of people unhappy about it but ours was the first cruise they had done like this and it was new to them too. He did give us a stuffed tiger that had the disney wildlife foundation tag or something on it as a consolation. We told him it wasn't his fault but wanted our views heard. This was our 9th Disney cruise and it did not live up to the ones before. It would've made it a little better if Disney had sent out an email about this BEFORE FINAL PAYMENT WAS DUE or at least offered SOMETHING for the lack of service we are used to on a Disney cruise. A free paper bingo card, free drink, something. We paid like $350 in tips. That night should've been discounted.I realize the servers work hard for their money and count on tips, but it should have come out of Disney's pocket that night. It was BUFFET. My husband even got up to fill his own drink at the coke machine one time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter