• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always mull over getting a drink package. I could probably break even, especially on sea days, but my DH doesn't drink as many "silly drinks" as I do and we have to pay for both of us.

We had it paid for by my mother-in-law and were worried about the same thing with my wife. I am pretty sure we at least broke even on the package, though. We now plan on paying for our own package on our next sailing (I did end up booking that weeklong cruise on the Breeze, with a stop in Disney World beforehand). A couple things that helped us make the most of her package were the specialty coffees included, as well as the fact that we would each get a smoothie or two for our kids on our cards (technically not allowed, but a couple dollar tip ensured that there was no issue whatsoever). Sitting around the pool, even at 10 in the morning, makes it really tempting to grab an $11 drink if it's included, just for the refreshment. On our cruise, a couple of the dockings did not occur until noon or so, and we had had a drink or two before getting off. Nothing to dull our senses, but it did add to our daily totals.
On sea days, I had mostly $6 beers because I didn't want all the sugar from the foofy drinks, but then I would make up the money difference by ordering $11 scotches before and and after dinner.

As long as you're not buying only beer, it comes out to pretty much exactly a 7 drink package anyway. I don't think I had more than that during a day (other than one night), including specialty coffee drinks, and I almost always met my monetary "quota". At $11 for a mixed frozen drink, it gets real easy to get to $55.

The problem is that I never spend more than 35$/day even with paying 11$/drink (I have a low tolerance to alcohol and can't drink 3 a day so I usually stick to 1 to 2.) but I enjoy a nice frappucino and Art of Tea from the coffe shop and I think they are included in the package.

The only way I would buy a 55$/day package is if they had a "single day package" that I could use on sea days. I don't drink much on port days.

The problem is that I never spend more than 35$ even with paying 11$/drink (I have a low tolerance to alcohol and can't drink 3 a day so I usually stick to 1 to 2.) but I enjoy a nice frappucino and Art of Tea from the coffe shop and I think they are included in the package.

They are. As are liter bottles of water in the MDR and small bottles at bars. Those items cost no more than $5 each though, so I doubt you could get above $50. I liked the package because I never had to think about if I wanted to pay for another drink or not, frugality would always win in that case. One morning I wanted a double shot of espresso, so I got it, not worrying about how much it cost. The high drink limit meant I also didn't have to worry about getting the most value out of each drink, unlike what the dining plan does at Disney.

They are. As are liter bottles of water in the MDR and small bottles at bars. Those items cost no more than $5 each though, so I doubt you could get above $50. I liked the package because I never had to think about if I wanted to pay for another drink or not, frugality would always win in that case. One morning I wanted a double shot of espresso, so I got it, not worrying about how much it cost. The high drink limit meant I also didn't have to worry about getting the most value out of each drink, unlike what the dining plan does at Disney.
Maybe you should reconsider the DDP after all :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

Maybe you should reconsider the DDP after all :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

I always plug my anticipated meals into the calculator in advance and the DDP has never won. Not even close one time. That's what I meant about the 15 drink limit benefit, it allows you to enjoy little things without worrying about the credit cost. The DDP in no way lets you do that. It's all about maximizing the value of those credits.

Well, I have gone and done it! Booked a quick getaway on the Triumph for October 8; 42 days to sailing! My mom said she needed to get away and wanted to relax on a cruise so we are going. I've never sailed anything but Dream/Vista class and Fantasy class so this will be a bit of the in-between. This is the same itinerary we did in 2013 when we were waylaid by TS Karen. I may actually get to the beach this time :)

Well, I have gone and done it! Booked a quick getaway on the Triumph for October 8; 42 days to sailing! My mom said she needed to get away and wanted to relax on a cruise so we are going. I've never sailed anything but Dream/Vista class and Fantasy class so this will be a bit of the in-between. This is the same itinerary we did in 2013 when we were waylaid by TS Karen. I may actually get to the beach this time :)

Yayyyy!!!

Where are you going? :)

Progreso and Cozumel.

Out of curiosity, are you looking into that Mr. Sancho's beach resort at Cozumel? I don't want to throw this thread off of its purpose, but its the only thing I could see in Cozumel with really strong reviews. The real benefit of Carnival, after all, is all the money they leave on the table to spend on excursions like that. I'm kind of torn over whether to spend the money there or not when I go next summer though.

In my opinion, the Save a Sea Turtle Experience in Cozumel is the most magical excursion I've ever had and it is available in October in Cozumel. :D

"Beach" of Chankanaab was nice but I regret not sticking with Isla Pasion the last time I was there.

You'll get to cruise the triumph before it gets turned into the Sunrise next year.
The Sunrise will be sailing out of Norfolk and New York - I am seriously debating on booking the 14 nigh partial panama canal or the 10 night southern Caribbean next May/June.

Hope you have a fabulous getaway with your mom! :daisy:

Out of curiosity, are you looking into that Mr. Sancho's beach resort at Cozumel? I don't want to throw this thread off of its purpose, but its the only thing I could see in Cozumel with really strong reviews. The real benefit of Carnival, after all, is all the money they leave on the table to spend on excursions like that. I'm kind of torn over whether to spend the money there or not when I go next summer though.

I am too cheap to pay for that! We are going to Paradise Beach. Cheap taxi ride and $3 entrance fee + $10 food purchase. That's more my speed. We probably won't get off the ship in Progreso. That last time we stopped there we did do a Carnival excursion to Uxmal. It was wonderful. You could still climb one of the "pyramids".

You'll get to cruise the triumph before it gets turned into the Sunrise next year.
The Sunrise will be sailing out of Norfolk and New York - I am seriously debating on booking the 14 nigh partial panama canal or the 10 night southern Caribbean next May/June.

Hope you have a fabulous getaway with your mom! :daisy:

Glad to get to try her before the big change. My sister loved Triumph so I am sure we will have a nice time.

I looked at that 14 day and was so tempted because I really want to go through the canal even partially. The super airfare we found to Paris changed my mind though ;)

Did anyone see the 15% off sale on spa treatments for Labor Day? I'd love do a couples massage and honestly the prices aren't bad to begin with, comparable to a spa around here, but I hear it's a high pressure sales situation. :crazy2: Anyone have experience with the Carnival Spa?

Did anyone see the 15% off sale on spa treatments for Labor Day? I'd love do a couples massage and honestly the prices aren't bad to begin with, comparable to a spa around here, but I hear it's a high pressure sales situation. :crazy2: Anyone have experience with the Carnival Spa?
I haven’t experienced Carnival Spa’s but when I do massages on Disney, I always answer the questions on the initial questionnaire positively. So when they ask do I ever experience dry skin, answer is no. Oily skin? Never. Itchy Skin? Nope. That way they don’t have any ammunition to try to sell me anything, it’s always worked and I’ve never experienced the hard sell. Certainly worth a try.

I had my hair done and they wanted me to buy some special conditioner but I was travelling with carry on only and it was too big to go through security. That's the only time I've used the spa though. I'll admit my hair was pretty rough from being bleached and spending the cruise in the sun, ocean and wind, so it was a legit suggestion. I don't think it was a hard sell per se.

Only with having a spa cabin. The 30 min visit in the beginning was a bit intense but after that they left us alone.

I'm pretty sure if you ask not to be bothered with sales, they will leave you alone.

Almost all cruise line Spas are run by Steiner so prices, etc. are pretty consistent. My SIL and Niece each got a massage on our family cruise and they enjoyed it. I would just be clear up front that you're not buying anything. My SIL makes her own soap and only uses organic, biodegradable, all natural, crunchy granola kind of products so she was clear with them that it didn't matter what they tried to sell her, she wasn't buying it.

While we are on the subject of massages... During the sales pitch we received when we visited the spa (we booked a Cloud 9 Spa cabin on the Carnival Vista), they were showing us how a hot stone massage feels...

O-M-G!!!

Someday...

:genie:

I cringe at the thought of a massage.

We are 33 days from sailing and no room assignment. Is there a rhyme or reason to when they assign GTY rooms? This is a first for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter