CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up on this thread... DU does NCL. We tried to transfer an NCL cruise to them but we were just over the time allowed for transfer. I wouldn't be surprised if they start selling CCL. We just got back from our CCL Dream cruise! Review coming...:flower1:

Liquid Lounge is exactly the same on Horizon as it is on Vista, not the best at all. Maybe they’ll fix it on Panorama.

One of the biggest complaints I’ve heard about Family Harbor area on both ships is galley noise from above. It seems to be more of a problem where the suites are located.

I've tried a few seats in the Liquid Lounge and came to the conclusion that the only way to have a great view is by sitting in the front "rows".

And regarding the Family Harbor, there must be a way to correct the soundproofing problem. Hopefully they will work on a solution on the Panorama and fix the Vista and Horizon.

I've tried a few seats in the Liquid Lounge and came to the conclusion that the only way to have a great view is by sitting in the front "rows".

And regarding the Family Harbor, there must be a way to correct the soundproofing problem. Hopefully they will work on a solution on the Panorama and fix the Vista and Horizon.
We always get there early and get the round booths, love those! Even my daughter who is only 5’1” has no problem with them.

The theater is the worst on Vista. We did not go to one show on our last cruise. I really hope they fix it on Panorama but I suspect not as it's the exact same ship design as Vista and Horizon.
I’ve read some changes are coming on Panorama, it hasn’t been announced what they’re doing with the space yet but supposedly the IMAX is going away???? Time will tell if that’s true or not.

Completely random thought. Has anyone heard any more information on the new Carnival “Mega”ships that are supposed to be launched starting in 2020? They made an announcement a couple years ago but I haven’t seen or heard anything about them since. They’re supposed to be 5000+ passengers and about 200,000 GT.

Completely random thought. Has anyone heard any more information on the new Carnival “Mega”ships that are supposed to be launched starting in 2020? They made an announcement a couple years ago but I haven’t seen or heard anything about them since. They’re supposed to be 5000+ passengers and about 200,000 GT.

There was a thread on CC about this recently. It said that delivery of the first ship will be August 2020 and the second October 2022. We will see.

At our future cruise talk they called it Excell and said it is a new class of ship.

Looks amazing. What is around the beach (in the water). Nets?

Honduras is famous for its snorkeling experience. Not surprised. :)
I think it is some kind of netting. It marks the swimming area. Even DH said it looked a lot like Castaway. If you look at the photo we took while sailing away, all the way to the right, the marker on that side is actually a dock. Beyond the dock outside of the swimming area is the snorkeling. Even though signs say swim at your own risk, there were lifeguards on the dock watching the snorkeling. We brought our own stuff and did not use life jackets (I do not know if you have to rent them. We hate having to wear them at Castaway so it was nice to be free. lol.). There are reefs in the snorkeling area.

Forgot to mention. There are ladders down into the water to get into the snorkeling area. The only complaint about Mahogany Bay is that there were two Carnival ships in port that day. It would probably be paradise to only have one. The snorkeling side was not crowded however. You did not feel lonely or scared being out there, like there were people, but that area was not crowded. We got to the beach very early at 7am and it was not crowded at all. But by 12 it was very crowded. We started back to the ship at about 1:30. When I say crowded, I do not mean unpleasant, just that it was better early in the morning (empty) and if there had only been one ship, it would have been perfect all day. We did not want to pay for food, so we had planned to head back to the ship in the afternoon anyway. Ship was empty!

This?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article100140887.html

Most recent update I have found is here:

https://cruisefever.net/0818-future-cruise-ships-under-construction-cruise-lines-2026/

Forgot to mention. There are ladders down into the water to get into the snorkeling area. The only complaint about Mahogany Bay is that there were two Carnival ships in port that day. It would probably be paradise to only have one. The snorkeling side was not crowded however. You did not feel lonely or scared being out there, like there were people, but that area was not crowded. We got to the beach very early at 7am and it was not crowded at all. But by 12 it was very crowded. We started back to the ship at about 1:30. When I say crowded, I do not mean unpleasant, just that it was better early in the morning (empty) and if there had only been one ship, it would have been perfect all day. We did not want to pay for food, so we had planned to head back to the ship in the afternoon anyway. Ship was empty!

So it's a Carnival owned property but the food is not included? I did not realize that it was a private area owned by Carnival. I just created a section for it on the first post.

Last edited:
So it's a Carnival owned property but the food is not included? I did not realize that it was a private area owned by Carnival. I just created a section for it on the first post.
I do not know what Carnival's terms are there, but it is for their ships only and I am pretty sure they developed it like Amber Cove. Everything is locally run though and does cost extra. It seems like NCL's Harvest Caye.

I wonder if they repeated the same mistake they did on the Vista with the seating in the main lounge? If they did: yuck. I despise that concept and I think everyone complained about it on the Vista.

What shows did you see?

You remind me that I should mention that dive-in movies only happen at night.

Have you and your kid tried the Thrill Theater? Rope Course/sports deck? Did he go to the club?

Glad Carnival helped you (and were generous) with the noise problem. This is not the first time I've heard about that problem. Hopefuly this is something they will fix in the future.

Where was your room situated? (My observation so far is that unless you are completely aft or fwd, there is a lot of noise).

Which specialty dining restaurants have you tried and how were they?
We did try the ropes course which was a lot of fun. He doesn't usually enjoy the clubs on any ship but I was impressed when I picked him up and the counselors had all the kids actively engaged in a game they were playing.

We were in cabin 2429 which should be avoided if possible.

The specialty was great and we ate at Bonsai, Jiji Asian, and Cucina del Caitano. All delicious.

We did try the ropes course which was a lot of fun. He doesn't usually enjoy the clubs on any ship but I was impressed when I picked him up and the counselors had all the kids actively engaged in a game they were playing.

We were in cabin 2429 which should be avoided if possible.

The specialty was great and we ate at Bonsai, Jiji Asian, and Cucina del Caitano. All delicious.

I do not have kids so I cannot judge the difference between the two cruise lines regarding that subject. I've already posted other people reviews since I can't do my own. I'd like to know if you would be interested in posting a review of the Kids Club? :)

All I need is a short description --5 to 10 lines?-- of what you liked/disliked in the Carnival kids club compared to the DCL kids club.

Let me know if you are interested and I will publish your review in the first post. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the specialty dining and the rope course (which terrified me).

I'll take note of the cabin number and add it in the first post... Did they move you in another Family Harbor cabin or another type of room?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter