CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you on the small and old ships. Liberty was okay but no ship beats the Vista for me on Carnival. I would try the Horizon/Panorama/Mardi Gras, though.

I'm terrible with names so I'm not sure who played who on the Liberty but the show was amazing.

Cookie is indeed at the right place right now. :) Who's your CD in June?
It’s going to be Matt Mitcham again. We had him in 2016, but had Chris Williams, (The Flying Scotsman), in 2017. CW was awesome, we loved him. Matt is great too though. They’re both excellent in their own ways. I think the Carnival CD’s add a lot more personality to the ships than DCL’s.

What was the cost for Blue Cay and how long was the water shuttle ride? (Currently checking all my options). :)

I think it's changed now, I believe I paid $8 for a chair/drink. But I didn't get the drink. I paid about $20 or so for guac and nachos and a bottle of water. Plus a tip. The taxi ride back was about 5 minutes? The shuttle there was a little longer, it's an open air type that goes pretty slow, it was very pretty to look around. I think I paid about $50 for the two of us for everything.

Part IV - Nassau Day

It was our 6th time in Nassau (some times we stayed on the ship, sometimes we got off to buy rum cakes and walk around and once we have done Blue Lagoon Beach Day), this time we decided to do the Discover Atlantis Tour and walk in the Marina Village. I was told that it wasn't that awesome so my expectations were low... But we loved it. It was very pretty and fun and while we felt that the "underwater" aquarium was better in Toronto (and I'm not a fan of aquarium and zoos because I prefer to see animals in nature), we have had a great tour.

Atlantis is a gorgeous hotel. I understand why people would want to stay there. It was even better than I imagined.

The Marina Village was super cute and I was hoping to stay there and grab a bite and drink at a restaurant-bar but my family was not hungry and wanted to go back on the ship (they were tired)... :(

But overall, I'm glad we visited Atlantis. :)

View attachment 395601 View attachment 395602 View attachment 395603 View attachment 395604 View attachment 395605 View attachment 395606 View attachment 395607 View attachment 395608 View attachment 395609
Kind of off topic, but how was blue lagoon in Nassau? We have thought about going there several times but haven't done it yet.

It’s going to be Matt Mitcham again. We had him in 2016, but had Chris Williams, (The Flying Scotsman), in 2017. CW was awesome, we loved him. Matt is great too though. They’re both excellent in their own ways. I think the Carnival CD’s add a lot more personality to the ships than DCL’s.

I agree. That's one thing I'm scared to miss on RCCL. (I'm not sure what kind ofnplace the CD hold on RCCL.)

I think it's changed now, I believe I paid $8 for a chair/drink. But I didn't get the drink. I paid about $20 or so for guac and nachos and a bottle of water. Plus a tip. The taxi ride back was about 5 minutes? The shuttle there was a little longer, it's an open air type that goes pretty slow, it was very pretty to look around. I think I paid about $50 for the two of us for everything.

That sounds like a reasonable price for a whole day.

Kind of off topic, but how was blue lagoon in Nassau? We have thought about going there several times but haven't done it yet.

It's really nice. I loved it there. The lagoon is very shallow and the other beach (I think it's VIP now) was awesome. The lunch included with the pass was reasonably good!

What was the cost for Blue Cay and how long was the water shuttle ride? (Currently checking all my options). :)

When we went to Costa Maya a couple of years ago (NCL Getaway), we went around to the back of the port area where they rent golf carts.

https://costa-maya-golf-cars.negocio.site/
(website is in spainish, but gives pics of the carts)

We rented one and drove to Blue Cay ourselves. I think it was $8 or $10 per person to access the beach but it included a drink. We also ordered some food which was good. It was a great day as we had the beach mostly to ourselves. It was a lot of fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat if we return to Costa Maya.

Last edited:

Oh, I realize that I forgot to talk about something important in my review: the Carnival famous chocolate cake (which is a kind of molten lava cake)

By comparison, the chocolate cake sounds just as popular on Carnival than the Palo Chocolate Soufflé is on DCL.

It was my first chocolate cake even though I was on my 5th Carnival cruise.

Well now, I'm extremely sad that I waited so long to order it.

It was phenomenal. I had it two nights in a row.

Oh, I realize that I forgot to talk about something important in my review: the Carnival famous chocolate cake (which is a kind of molten lava cake)

By comparison, the chocolate cake sounds just as popular on Carnival than the Palo Chocolate Soufflé is on DCL.

But did you get it with two ice creams to make the Mickey ears? And did you add Peanut Butter? :) If not, make a note for next time.

My favourite dessert is on the first night, and I can never remember what it's called but it's caramel and pralines and creamy with crunchy sweet bits. So good. I was sad last time I only ordered one ;)

On our shuttle ride back from the port last week, the people on the shuttle that were on Carnival called it the "Walmart" of cruising. 'nuff said?

I know people love it but I have always found it to be super under-cooked. Like it's just raw inside and I hate that. Of course I never licked the spoons when baking and think eating raw cookie dough is disgusting.

But did you get it with two ice creams to make the Mickey ears? And did you add Peanut Butter? :) If not, make a note for next time.

My favourite dessert is on the first night, and I can never remember what it's called but it's caramel and pralines and creamy with crunchy sweet bits. So good. I was sad last time I only ordered one ;)

I did not know we could do this. I had ice cream with it but barely touched it. The cake by itself was too good.

On our shuttle ride back from the port last week, the people on the shuttle that were on Carnival called it the "Walmart" of cruising. 'nuff said?

From which ship?

They are entitled to their opinion but I do not share it. I had a GREAT experience (on 4 out of 5 CCL cruises). Not the first time I hear it on this board but I've never "seen" it... Other than the line offering a great value for a low price.

And I don't get good service like that from the staff at Wal Mart. LOL

Last edited:
I know people love it but I have always found it to be super under-cooked. Like it's just raw inside and I hate that. Of course I never licked the spoons when baking and think eating raw cookie dough is disgusting.

LOL I hear you. However, it must be safe otherwise I don't think they'd serve it.

Just a side note I'd like to add... Not trying to start an argument here.

I came back last week and said I've had a great experience, right?

Is my opinion/experience not valid enough for you? Why would you try to contradict it with hearsay?

It doesn't really affect me but I'd really like to understand the motivation behind your comment.

Well it's not hearsay if I heard it myself. Sorry don't know what boat they were on, however it in no way diminishes your enjoyment. Sorry you took it that way. I think the point is that it is more the "economy" option vs other lines. Much like Target vs Walmart both have pros and cons. It helps to have the proper expectation.

Well it's not hearsay if I heard it myself. Sorry don't know what boat they were on, however it in no way diminishes your enjoyment. Sorry you took it that way. I think the point is that it is more the "economy" option vs other lines. Much like Target vs Walmart both have pros and cons. It helps to have the proper expectation.

Why would you come to a thread dedicated to Carnival just to spew your hearsay? If you haven't been on a Carnival cruise then you have absolutely nothing to contribute.

Spreading this falsehood yet again shows more a lack in you than it does in any of us who choose to sail on Carnival.

I said "hearsay" because you reported someone else's opinion instead of your own. (You heard them say ...)

Usually when people talk about "Wal Mart" it's not intented as a compliment (more as "people of Wal Mart" like the website who makes fun of people by posting pictures of clients looking trashy or extremely poor), which is why I took this as a negative comment.

Regarding the "economy" part. I find this to be less true than it used to be. I've compared prices for my next two cruises and Carnival were only 50-100$ less pp. I have a feeling the new ships will be even more expensive. If they plan on asking similar prices, the older ships are going to need serious make overs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter