CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's not hearsay if I heard it myself. Sorry don't know what boat they were on, however it in no way diminishes your enjoyment. Sorry you took it that way. I think the point is that it is more the "economy" option vs other lines. Much like Target vs Walmart both have pros and cons. It helps to have the proper expectation.
I have not cruised Carnival, but there are plenty of people on this thread that have cruised DCL and Carnival that seem to be happy with Carnival. Why is their opinion not as valid as the person on the shuttle. Is it because they are posting about Carnival on a Disney board and you felt the need to stir the pot? Since you haven't cruised Carnival the opinion that has no value is yours.

I love lobster, I also love soggy greasy pizza. I love dressing up in my Armani suits, I also love wearing sweats and a t-shirt. I love driving my Audi, I also love driving my kids Hyundai’s. I love DCL, I also love Carnival.

Each of the above things bring me joy and happiness at different points of time in my life. None is better or worse than the other, they’re just different.

I said "hearsay" because you reported someone else's opinion instead of your own. (You heard them say ...)

Usually when people talk about "Wal Mart" it's not intented as a compliment (more as "people of Wal Mart" like the website who makes fun of people by posting pictures of clients looking trashy or extremely poor), which is why I took this as a negative comment.

Regarding the "economy" part. I find this to be less true than it used to be. I've compared prices for my next two cruises and Carnival were only 50-100$ less pp. I have a feeling the new ships will be even more expensive. If they plan on asking similar prices, the older ships are going to need serious make overs.
Carnival and Royal have a lot of ships. I think when Disney comes out with it's next 3 ships you're going to see the prices on the Magic and Wonder plummet. Maybe even the Dream and Fantasy. I don't find the new ships on Royal and Carnival to be cheap. Cheaper then Disney yes, but I wouldn't call them cheap.

Carnival and Royal have a lot of ships. I think when Disney comes out with it's next 3 ships you're going to see the prices on the Magic and Wonder plummet. Maybe even the Dream and Fantasy. I don't find the new ships on Royal and Carnival to be cheap. Cheaper then Disney yes, but I wouldn't call them cheap.

I started sailing with Carnival in 2016 and I already see a difference in pricing. Not as intense as DCL but it's there.

Ok so i was happy to leave it on an amicable note but since you decided to throw your 2 cents here even though you have not cruised Carnival, which makes it as valid as mine. You are also good at cherry picking what you want to quote. At no time did i say and i quote, "Why is their opinion not as valid as the person on the shuttle". For i even followed up with it in no means diminishes your experience. Your reply shows your ignorance and further interest to "stir the pot".
No I haven't cruised Carnival yet, but I do have a cruised booked with them. I lurk here to read valid reviews. Unlike you I've never given an opinion on Carnival. How could I when I haven't sailed with them. A flippant comment about the income level of Carnival cruisers doesn't qualify as a valid review in my book.

No I haven't cruised Carnival yet, but I do have a cruised booked with them. I lurk here to read valid reviews. Unlike you I've never given an opinion on Carnival. How could I when I haven't sailed with them. A flippant comment about the income level of Carnival cruisers doesn't qualify as a valid review in my book.

Ok so again, you show your ignorance... at no time did I mention the income level of Carnival Cruisers. Seems that you have decided to take it upon yourself to interpret things based on your own bias.

As I mentioned earlier (yesterday?), the "Wal Mart" term (Wal Mart of the Seas, Wal Mart of cruising) is often used to describe the income of Carnival passengers (which is completely ridiculous if you ask me).

It's definitely a thing, which is why the chances to see the comment interpreted as such are very high.

... Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Now... *Peace*

:hippie:

I know people love it but I have always found it to be super under-cooked. Like it's just raw inside and I hate that. Of course I never licked the spoons when baking and think eating raw cookie dough is disgusting.

Ask for it well done. I have the same issue - I don't like under cooked batter. I order mine well done (and express to my server that I'm looking for one that's fully cooked) and 9 times out of 10, they produce one to my liking.

In addition to the peanut butter, try it with the other ice cream flavours as well. I really like it with the strawberry ice cream and the butter pecan is good too. I found the chocolate ice cream didn't offer enough flavour contrast. If you like it, the orange sherbert is also good with the chocolate melting cake. I am not brave enough to try it with the lime or pineapple sherbert though.

But did you get it with two ice creams to make the Mickey ears? And did you add Peanut Butter? :) If not, make a note for next time.

My favourite dessert is on the first night, and I can never remember what it's called but it's caramel and pralines and creamy with crunchy sweet bits. So good. I was sad last time I only ordered one ;)

Would that be this one:

First night dessert Carnival Pride

It's Caramelized phyllo with caramel cream.

Ask for it well done. I have the same issue - I don't like under cooked batter. I order mine well done (and express to my server that I'm looking for one that's fully cooked) and 9 times out of 10, they produce one to my liking.

In addition to the peanut butter, try it with the other ice cream flavours as well. I really like it with the strawberry ice cream and the butter pecan is good too. I found the chocolate ice cream didn't offer enough flavour contrast. If you like it, the orange sherbert is also good with the chocolate melting cake. I am not brave enough to try it with the lime or pineapple sherbert though.

Wait, I did not know we could get other flavors than vanilla in the dining room.

Wait, I did not know we could get other flavors than vanilla in the dining room.

Yes, the dessert menu always lists "A Selection of ice creams".

The selections are usually vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and butter pecan. Plus a sherbet - orange, lime, pineapple are the ones I've seen/had.

Yes, the dessert menu always lists "A Selection of ice creams".

The selections are usually vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and butter pecan. Plus a sherbet - orange, lime, pineapple are the ones I've seen/had.

So now I'm gonna try the Melting chocolate cake recipe at home and try it with all kinds of ice cream. :P

I also have to try the Chocolate Soufflé from Palo at some point.

I need to do a cruise themed party ASAP.

So now I'm gonna try the Melting chocolate cake recipe at home and try it with all kinds of ice cream. :P

I also have to try the Chocolate Soufflé from Palo at some point.

I need to do a cruise themed party ASAP.

I've always thought it would be great with cookies and cream ice cream! :idea: the creamy vanilla with the bit of cookie crunch enhancing the rich chocolate melting cake.

I have a crockpot version I make at home (small crock), made mistake of telling my son that the cruise will have it as a option every night in dining room along with unlimited ice cream...he’s 13 and eats everything in sight and skinny as a rail. I’ll gain cruise weight and not eat dessert every night and he’ll eat 3 desserts a night and gain no weight. I’ve also been craving a Guy’s burger...

I think I’m the only person on the planet that doesn’t like the Chocolate Melting Cake, I’ll try it again and ask for it well done in June. My favorite Carnival dessert is the Bitter n Blanc, I go nuts for that. I think they only have it on 8 night and longer cruises though.

I had it on my last cruise that was 7 nights. It was pretty good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter