"Carousel of Progress" Closing?

The PeopleMover at Disneyland closed - that is the one that Walt had a hand in.... Walt died before Disney World's Magic Kingdom and PeopleMover even opened, so I don't think the WDW PeopleMover is safe based on its connection with Walt.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Walt said that the Carousel of Progress was the one thing he wouldn't remove from his parks (granted it moved from NY to Disneyland to Disneyworld).... I think it was on SAVE DISNEY dot com. Walt felt the COP could always be updated (like the original Fair version of the COP had a "future" scene where Grandma and Grandpa lived in a retirement commnunity and the kids were off at the jetport to pick them up for a visit.)

Another person said something about the COP being a little corny... Walt once wrote about his product being corny... he wrote ""We're selling corn," Disney wrote to (Harvard) President James B. Conant in response to the letter offering him the degree, "and I like corn. I try to entertain, not educate: an important part of education is stimulating an interest in things.""

Now I don't necessarilly think that just because Walt said something it should be equated with corporate gospel.... but I love the COP and want to see it kept open.... just my $.02

We tried to ride it Sunday But they had to walk us off after the third room. We sat through the first 2 rooms twice each. They were having trouble getting the room to rotate. Then in the third room the figures on stage only moved their lips and fingers. It looked kind of creepy with their heads looking down and not moving their arms or head. About 1/2 way through the third room they gave up and walked everyone off. As we were leaving the area a maintenance man was going in and he looked very stressed. They were having a lot of trouble this weekend with rides. Splash, space, COP, and HM were all down at least part of the day.

Looks like the maintenece cut backs we have been reading about are rearing their ugly heads in the form of more breakdowns at the parks.

We were very happy to be able to ride CoP on 6/19. The CM's running the ride were fun and it was great. We encountered none of the problems others had. My DS7 even wanted to ride it again later in the week - so much for it not appealing to the younger kids.

It has been reported that the COP has been having an ongoing rehab of the seats and carpet. Seems a hair odd if it were going to close in 6 months.

If you look at this thread, it would seem that virtually everyone loves COP and with all that support, how could it possibly close???
But actually, we're a SMALL minority, I'm afraid. Rarely if ever any lines at COP, and most times (if it's even open and working) the CM's are out begging folks to get on. The overwhelming #of WDW visitors aren't in to COP-like attractions any longer and it's just one more dinosaur to be gotten rid of at some convenient moment.

MYRON said:
I know it's too "corny" for the kids but for us senior citizens, it's perfect.

Not reading any other comments yet (hoping I'm not repeating anythign, which I most likey am) I completely would hate to see it go. I'm only 14, but have been going to Disney since I was 8, and even then I loved Progress. I do NOT think of it as 'corny'. My entire family loves that ride, and we go on it at least five times each year we go down. I would be quite put out if they got rid of Carousel of Progress. It's a traditional, educatinal ride, and I think it should have a permanent spot at Disney.
I would esp. hate it if they put in some fast, thrill ride. I can't "do" those kind of rides- anyone who rode the Barnstormer with me could tell you that! :blush:
Carousel of Progress better stay- even if it is Seasonally!
Love,
merfsko

Jamesbyr said:
The original COP at the World's Fair was more extensive that what is at WDW. After the last scene, the theater rolled on to the original blank room, and the audience exited FORWARD (while new people entered from the rear) and up a long escalator, then down a huge spiral ramp: at the bottom there was a loud explosion, and lightning inside a large glass globe, simulating the splitting of the atom, or something of that sort. (And then on to the GE showroom, I guess...) We exited on the lower level, one below the theaters. It was spectacular, and I rode several times tryng to figure out how they fit all that space inside the perimeter. I would love to see a model of the original setup. Is there anyone still alive (joke!) who remembers that?

You can view construction photos/cutaway views ot the 1964 WF pavilion. Goto: http://www.nywf64.com/genele01.shtml .

Add me to the list of COP fans. I love this ride! Not only is a great classic, but it's a perfect refuge for us fat boys to escape the melt-the-skin-from-your-skull temps common this time of the year.

I especially liked this bit...
Cutaway sketch shows one of the six theaters. The carousel rotates slowly, stopping in front of the six stages, each of which presents a different act. At the upper level, visitors view a show including films projected on the under surface of the dome (sprayed with asbestos for smoothness).
:eek: :eek:
Add me to the list of COP lovers. It was open sporatically last summer and we didn't get a chance to ride. Glad to hear it's staying open until next summer at least...

I have a 4 year old and he absolutely loves COP. I think they should either update the future scene, or actually add more scenes to the ride; I dunno, just my wishful thinking. Last time I wend into the ride was last february, and for the first time in a while there were lines to go into the ride.

It would be a shame to close Carousel of Progress.It has been my favorite since the opening of the world. They should update it. Why shut down the oldest and best attraction.
The original Imaginations was better than anything since.
I wrote to the powers to be in Disneyworld but never got an answer. I also told them that I have been a fan since the mid seventees and if they don't make more family attractions and less thrills then I don't expect to go there again.

roadtripper said:
I love the CoP too, but does anyone remember the song it played back in '76 and '78-- the first times I rode it (OK, I'm dating myself here, I realize). It was " Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life...there's so much to cheer for, be glad you're here for it's the best time of your life"-- it still plays OUTSIDE the CoP in the Tomorrowland park music medley. Gotta say I liked it better than "great big beautiful tomorrow"...it isn't the same for me without it :(

BTW my DD 10 liked it too-- it's neat for kids to imagine what it would have been like to live at a different time...

The song you are referring to is actually used on the hold music now. I believe it's a part of the special CDs they came up with for the 50th celebration. There is a lot of music being played while you're on hold that comes from previous attractions, or versions of attractions.

Great big beautiful tomorrow was replaced by Best time of your life in 1978, and was brought back in 1994, and plays to this day.

I first 'rode' CoP back in 1964 as well.
A Cast Member at the attraction about ten years ago told me that it would be closing "soon" and something unspecified would be built in place of that and the Tomorrowland Theater.

I would love to see them move this ride to EPCOT. Restore it to its original 1964 configuration and set up a walk through area showing the changes the last scene has gone through over the years...ending in a realistic vision for tomorrow as demonstrated by GE.

I was on this ride in mid June and it had one odd problem but otherwise it went off without a hitch...and without a CM. They do need to replace the seats and carpeting because the place has a musty odor to it.

I know this is a fairly old thread but I wanted to comment on this ride. I have never been on it before till this past week when I went , and I loved it, it was almost a full house and everything worked great. One scene the boys left eye didnt close all the way but that was it. It had to have been updated recently b/c I saw a laptop and virtual game for the last scene, I thought they did a very good job with lip sync and the animatronics so it must have been updated/refurbished since it first opened. I hope they keep updating it so it will stay current but I am not sure if the guy who did the voice is still around.

Shiftgreen, in 1994, WDW abandoned the "Now is the Best Time" version of the attraction and went back to the original song, but less heavy on the whole "electricity" theme. In that makeover, Rex Allen (the original narrator (or father) in the attraction) was brought back to do the voice of the grandfather. Jean Shepard, a radio legend, was hired to do the voice of the father. I think he did an absolutely wonderful job of it. Mr. Shepherd passed away in 1999.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the COP - always have and always will!!!!

We've always ridden it while in the park and particularly tricked our girls into naps while riding it around in the circle!!! Something about the darkened seating area and the way the seats circle the stage.... I would be SO SAD if it wasn't there!!!!

I loved the COP it is great! If they close it there will be a very sad guest at the Magic Kingdom. I mean it was Walt Disney's idea how could they closed it :(

I was thrilled to see that CoP was still open a couple of weeks ago when my family and I were there. My son and I were 2 of only about 25 people in the whole theater. I agree with other posters though, the carpeting and seat covers need to be replaced...everything just looked old!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter