Cars 2

I enjoyed it. Some parts were a bit much, but as a whole I liked it. I loved the bathroom scene:rotfl:

There is a slight political message (anti-big oil), but I didn't mind it as I'm a fan of the alternative resources lol and not so much oil/oil companies. However, I didn't see it as something that overtook the whole movie. Mainly a message of friendship and appreciating those in your life, IMO. :goodvibes

I've seen some people post on FB that it has some scary scenes. My 4-year-old son wants to see it, but he is cannot tolerate scary scenes. He can sense the change in music that indicates a scary scene. We recently watched Gnomeo and Juliet and he couldn't watch the lawn mower fight scenes. Thanks!

Yeah, there are some scary scenes in it where the characters use guns.

Well considering that Cars was one of their lowest grossing (Outside their first 2 films, when they were still a baby), and lowest rated, anyone who doesn't see that this is a marketing ploy is severely misguided. I equate it to Batman & Robin, where they ignored plot and went with "What kinda cool toy can we make?"

Sure, some people will enjoy it, but this is a huge step back for Pixar. If we use Rotten Tomatoes as a guide, this is their first Rotten film, and it's getting close to very rotten right now. In fact, all of Pixar's films have been 90% or better, save for Cars, which was at 73% (With the sequel at 30%). Pixar obviously has talent, with the ability to create a wonderful 3D world to immerse us in, and tell a story. Now they are going into sequel mode when the only film besides Toy Story that should have had a continued story was, obviously, the Incredibles. With Cars 2, there seems to be no progession of characters. Just a new setting, and new plot, with a whole bunch of characters (Especially international ones) to market it all over the world.

I think Monster's Inc. is an acceptable sequel.

Well considering that Cars was one of their lowest grossing (Outside their first 2 films, when they were still a baby), and lowest rated, anyone who doesn't see that this is a marketing ploy is severely misguided. I equate it to Batman & Robin, where they ignored plot and went with "What kinda cool toy can we make?"

Sure, some people will enjoy it, but this is a huge step back for Pixar. If we use Rotten Tomatoes as a guide, this is their first Rotten film, and it's getting close to very rotten right now. In fact, all of Pixar's films have been 90% or better, save for Cars, which was at 73% (With the sequel at 30%). Pixar obviously has talent, with the ability to create a wonderful 3D world to immerse us in, and tell a story. Now they are going into sequel mode when the only film besides Toy Story that should have had a continued story was, obviously, the Incredibles. With Cars 2, there seems to be no progession of characters. Just a new setting, and new plot, with a whole bunch of characters (Especially international ones) to market it all over the world.

Sometimes it's good not to take some movies so seriously. It's all in good fun.

Our local newspaper gave it 3 out of 4 stars, so not a bad review from them!

Sometimes I think critics just like to rip things apart for fun. I never see or not see a movie based on critics or what other people think anyway. Half of the award winning movies the critics rave about I watch and go "Huh? Why did they love this?"

I didn't like it that much. The visuals were great, especially in Japan, but Mater got annoying after a while. I liked him when he was a sidekick but a whole movie to himself is a bit much.

And if they only made Cars 2 to sell more toys, the only thing I would consider buying is Mater as a taco truck, and they probably don't even make that.

We went last night (not in 3D, though) and all three of us gave it a thumbs up! DH & DS both said they liked it even better than the original, and I loved how they did the settings.

We are leaving in about an hour to go see it in 3D. Every showing of it sold out at the theaters around here yesterday. My friends that took their kids to see it really enjoyed it. I bought my tickets online yesterday to ensure we would not have to worry about it selling out before we got there.

I don't care what the reviews say. I wouldn't have cared if my friends hadn't liked it either. My kids have been looking forward to it for months, especially my ds who just turned 3 and is really into Cars, so we would have gone either way. I can't wait. This will be ds's first movie experience. :)

I will say that I didn't know it was rated "G" and honestly it should be "PG" just for the amount of ammunition and explosions and a few times where the evil character literally mentions "killing" other cars.

I don't know if Disney/Pixar or the ratings board is to blame for that though. :confused3

It was horrible. John Lassetter should be ashamed of the crap he put his name on with this one. I can't believe how really bad it was. There is a big article on what went wrong in variety magazine. If anyone has seen those horrible Car Toons they play featuring Tow Mater on Disney Channel during shows, well, this movie was worse. If you have to go see it then pick the cheapest time to go so you don't waste your money. This cars movie went into the ditch!

Here's the link on variety....
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036839

No, but it means I'll wait and see it on my cruise so I don't have to pay extra for it.

They really have critics for kids movies

Sorry, but I don't consider Disney/Pixar films "kids movies." They are for all ages. They are great at throwing things in for the adults to understand or laugh at. So yes, they should be reviewed, just like any other movie. They really try to make it a good experience for adults who take the children to enjoy the film as well. Some of the "kids movies" are really "painful" for adults to sit through. And with Disney/Pixar films, in general adults can even enjoy them WITHOUT bringing any children!

I think if I were ranking Pixar films I might rank Bugs Life last - although I do like it. I haven't seen Wall E.

Saw it in 3D earlier and loved it! PIXARS 2nd best film! It didnt have the quality of Toy Story 3, but the TS Short was funny! Check it out!

Saw it this morning (used free ticket from buying Incredibles on blu-ray). Loved the Toy Story short, but the movie was just okay. Went home and watched TS3 and cried my eyes out - doesn't matter how many times I see it I cry.:happytv:

Well, I'm going to start with the good review - Toy Story: Hawaiian Vacation (the short preceding Cars 2) was wonderful, and I loved every second of it! What a wonderful group of characters, top to bottom, and the whole thing was funny and charming. (I don't want to spoil anything, but I especially loved Buzz's dance, Hamm and Buttercup as Bantering Buddies, and the always-groovy Ken.)

Cars 2 - well, I'm still trying to figure out what I think of it, but I have to say, I think it kind of deserves the critical thrashing it's getting, just because Pixar Knows Better. It's gorgeous to look at, and the action is well-staged, but it's (IMO) hectic and convoluted, Mater gets more pathetic than I like, and honestly, I came out of it without any emotional reaction. I don't always expect the euphoric :cloud9: response I still have to Up, but even the original Cars sent me out with a warm, fuzzy feeling in a low-key sort of way.

You know what my two favorite bits were? My F1-fan sister has so corrupted me, that my two favorite bits were David Hobbs(cap) saying "AB-so-LUTE-ly" in that way he really does, and Lewis Hamilton saying something was "wicked."

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get the teaser trailer for "Brave," although I heard that it was only being shown with the 3-D showings. ???

Well, I'm going to start with the good review - Toy Story: Hawaiian Vacation (the short preceding Cars 2) was wonderful, and I loved every second of it! What a wonderful group of characters, top to bottom, and the whole thing was funny and charming. (I don't want to spoil anything, but I especially loved Buzz's dance, Hamm and Buttercup as Bantering Buddies, and the always-groovy Ken.)

Cars 2 - well, I'm still trying to figure out what I think of it, but I have to say, I think it kind of deserves the critical thrashing it's getting, just because Pixar Knows Better. It's gorgeous to look at, and the action is well-staged, but it's (IMO) hectic and convoluted, Mater gets more pathetic than I like, and honestly, I came out of it without any emotional reaction. I don't always expect the euphoric :cloud9: response I still have to Up, but even the original Cars sent me out with a warm, fuzzy feeling in a low-key sort of way.

You know what my two favorite bits were? My F1-fan sister has so corrupted me, that my two favorite bits were David Hobbs(cap) saying "AB-so-LUTE-ly" in that way he really does, and Lewis Hamilton saying something was "wicked."

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get the teaser trailer for "Brave," although I heard that it was only being shown with the 3-D showings. ???

The Brave trailer was disappointing. The Lion King 3D trailer was much better.

We just watched it this afternoon & love it :lovestruc. Super cute, super funny.

That Toy Story short movie was adorable too.

Overall my critics (boys ages 5 & 8) gave it a two thumbs up :thumbsup2

My guys loved it! They also loved the first one too.

I thought it was funny in many parts and was glad to have the action sequences.

I guess I don't take the critics too seriously because I often disagree with them. I usually hate the movies they love.

I took a herd of kids to it last night.

The kids all LOVED it. None were scared at all.

The adults thought it was "cute" - I enjoyed watching the animation but was pretty annoyed after awhile with Mater. It was just too darn pathetic to watch :) I'll probably never choose to watch it again. I was surprised a little at some of the storyline in a G rated film but only bc I thought it should be PG.

I had absolutely no emotional connection to any of the characters, though. Unlike WallE, UP, and the Toy Story films - all of which I ran out and bought when it came out on BluRay.

It wasn't awful, it just wasn't a standout to me.

Anytime, I find myself getting interested in the opinions of critics I reread the New York Times review of Tom Green's Freddy movie, of which he praised thusly:

"might have qualified for a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts if MTV and studio money hadn't been forthcoming and may show up some day at the Museum of Modern Art"

I should note the reviewer wasn't being sarcastic, and even paraphrased Shakespeare is his praise of Tom Green

Then there is also the time that Roger Ebert refused to review, or even see one of the Scooby movies and instead used the newspaper space he was getting paid to fill, to rant and complain that someone would dain to ask him to review a Scooby Doo sequel. Then there was the time he reviewed Ya-Ya Sisterhood and refusesd to look up the name of one of the actresses, or even ask his assistant to do so, and referred to her as "a moppett whose name I remember not".

For those that insist its a "marketing ploy" its painfully clear it isn't. If thats what interested Pixar they probably wouldn't have made Up. Even once they did, they didn't offer a Dug that was anything like the movie version, and you could barely buy the bird.

If they were interested in marketing, they would have made a fresh new movie, with a fresh new toy-able cast. That would sell some serious toys. No doubt there are still some sales to be had with a Cars sequel, even with this movie, but there are also too many kids who will go home and play with the Mater and Lightning they already have from the first movie. The marketing potential pales in comparison to that a fresh new movie would have had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter