Cars to rent with carseats?

Ithastobe

Mouseketeer
Anyone know of a car rental that also rents car seats? We are planning trip 10/19 - 10/22 with a 4 and 3 year old and hate to lug the car seats. Anyone know if a car rental also rents car seats?

Another question - this is the first time going with kids, and first time taking kids on the plane. Do we need car seats for the plane ride?

Thanks all you veterans!!!

I think most car rental places rent car seats _ Dollar charges $5 a day for a car seat rental. I am not sure about having to have on on the plane- I would check with your airline.

I agree, most rental places do rent car seats. Call to be sure.

When we went in March I was worried the rental place wouldn't actually have a carseat when we got there. Then what do you do?

I also had to think twice about how many sick kids, germs, etc. were on those poor carseats. We lugged ours through the airport and I'm glad we did. Even though it was a pain. At least DD - 4 yrs. was in a seat that she was comfortable and SAFE in.

You won't be alone towing the seats and luggage. :) HAVE FUN!!

We took a trip for Labor Day Weekend... DD has flown a few times, we have always had her car seat and installed it in the window seat (as required by FAA) but now that she was 2 1/2 we figured she could just sit in a seat. We were so sorry we checked her carseat!!! As she got tired of sitting she found she was able to undo her seatbelt, so a lot of our time on the flight was spent wrestling with an excited child who did not want to sit anymore. We will ALWAYS keep her in a carseat, until she is old enough to not need one at our final destination. It was just more comfortable for her, she could nap and was able to use the tray to color. We did learn (watching someone else) that they do not allow booster seats on airplanes, they are considered unsafe in the event the seat back were to break in an emergency.

As much of a pain as it can be to lug the carseat, we find it is just easier in the long run. She uses it on the flight and then it is installed in the rental.

I've heard the rental car seats tend to be really grubby. Mine aren't the cleanest, but at least I have some idea what is spilled on them.

Sonya

I would be really, really worried about using a rental carseat. Carseats are not safe if they have been in even a minor accident, and there is no way to know the history of the seat you rent. Even though it would be a pain, I think it would be better to take your own carseat.

Definitely bring your own. Your child is familiar with them and comfortable in them, you know where they've been (accident wise, etc.), and you won't have to worry about whether the car rental car will actually have them when you get there.

They are a real pain to carry on the plane, but it's worth it to know that your child is safely strapped in and has a comfy place to sit.

We used our carseat on the plane last summer for almost 3 yo dd. It really helped to keep her seated(she's high energy). It helped to boost her so she could see clearly out the window. Since you mentioned you were bringing a 4 yo it is worth noting that you can only use a carseat on the plane and NOT a booster seat. The carseat must have the sheild or the 5 point harness and not just be held in with the belt over the childs lap. The seat we had could be used as a carseat or a booster so we lucked out. Just a little heads up.

be sure to call ahead and make sure that the seat you will be getting is appropriate for the age and weight of your child. I have heard of people asking for a child seat and being given a booster. I would be pretty sure that for liability issues the seat that they rent you has to be up to date and safe, however I always recommend using a child seat on the plane if at all possible. Boosters are brought along should be gate checked to help insure proper (gentle) handling if they can't be carried on.

J

I am really dreading the 9 hr flight with 14 month old ds. He will only stay in his seat, in the car, for about 1/2 hr before he becomes restless.
It really is going to be a nightmare :eek:
Has anyone got any tips ?
We have paid for him to have his own seat on the plane, and we will be taking his carseat for the flight.
I've just got visions of him wanting to run up and down the isles the whole time, driving everybody nuts.
Its no good trying to keep him awake the night before, as he becomes impossible. He really is a live wire.
I'd like to have just an ounce of his energy :p

:jester: 68 to go :jester:

and I've found car seats to be a lifesaver on the plane trips. Worth dragging them thru the airport. Just remember that as above poster stated, they have to be used with a window seat.

As for a small child for 9 hour flight...God bless you!!! LOL If you feel comfortable, you could try Dramamine which makes my kids a little drowsy. Be sure to try anything like that ahead of time because some kids have a hyper reaction to some drugs. I've found that tape players with headphones are great for small children. Lots of special toys, treats, etc.

Good luck!!

Thanks Disneymania :D

I wasn't aware that carseats had to be put in the window seat. Do you know why this is ?
I'm hoping to get Bulkhead seats, as they have more legroom ( dh is 6.3 ) I'm going to call the airline 2 weeks beforehand to ask, so I hope the bulkhead has window seats.
Thanks for the tip on Dramamine. I started a thread on this on some other Disney boards, and I didn't get very many nice replies.
Alot of them didn't agree with giving your child medicine to make them sleepy - infact, the thread was closed down.
One woman ( who agreed ) pm'd me with a medicine that she has given her children.
I'm still in two minds on whether to try something or not. I'm worried that if he has too much sleep on the flight, he'll be awake all night. I suppose that is better than him playing up on the plane, where theres not alot of space :confused:

:jester: 67 to go :jester:

I'm glad to be of help. I know some people will slam you for suggesting giving something to kids. You would think we were talking about heroine!!! 2 of my 3 kids get car sick so i am well aquainted with Dramamine & would give it to them for car rides & so feel comfortable giving it to them on airplane. On my last flight (drug free) the woman in front of me got up & glared at us before we even got off the ground because apparently my son was pushing on her seat. I know this is annoying & my DD & I spent the entire 3 hours of flight trying to hold his legs down & stop him from going crazy. I couldn't move his seat because it had to be by the window (I suppose for safety reasons if you had to get off flight quickly). I'm suprised that people didn't start offering us heavy duty drugs because he was driving others around us crazy. There isn't much you can do on a full flight & they no longer let you walk the aisles. Parents need to do what they feel comfortable with though.

Good luck!!

Thanks - I'll need it :D

I've just been to my pm's and checked the name of the medicine that woman pm'd me with.
Its called "Robitussion". I've never heard of it, so I'm wondering whether its available here in the UK.
Have you ever heard of it ?

I didn't know that you're not allowed to walk up and down the aisles anymore :( This is looking even worse now.
Going on this info, I'm definatly going to give him something.
Thanks for all your help :D

:jester: 67 to go :jester:

Robitussin is a cough medicine.

Dramamine should do the trick, though. And it's good to have in case of motion sickness anyway. Just make sure you don't get the "less drowsy" formula. :-)

I think they make you put carseats in the window seats so that nobody has to get past it to get to the aisle in case of an emergency.

I asked our dr. what he recommend for our 3 and 4 year olds, on the plane, and he said to give them some tylenol before the flight, then again during the flight. He also recommended bringing a sippy of water to sip on for altitude adjustments. (will help ear popping - we adults can chew gum).

This is our first plane ride with the little ones so not sure how this will go. The 4 year old is prone to car sickness so we'll see.

Bring you own!!!

One time we rented one and it was not very clean + it costs extra $. It also took them about 15 mins to bring it to the counter.

P.S. Don't give your kids any drugs unless they need them, be smart. If they have a need for them then it's fine but see how they are doing.

My daughter is a great traveler, so we have never had to resort to giving her anything. However, my friend, who is not so lucky, swears by Benadryl to make her child drowsy. It is also great to have on hand in case of an allergic reaction.

The last 2 years we have rented a minivan from dollar rent a car and requested a van with built in car seats. It saved us a lot of money as they were built into the van and no extra charge. Your children must be about 2 to use these. They are wonderful and kept very clean. We never worry about car seats at the airport now.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter