Cases rising or dropping by you?

I am so glad to hear that you mom was actually negative. Hopefully she listens to what you said. Our moms are about the same age. Mine is 61. She is also a teacher so she will be in the phase 2 I think as well but might be able to get in phase one. I can't remember for sure. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't wait to see family again.
I hope she does too. I don't think I've ever spoken to her the way I did yesterday but I'm pretty frustrated with my family for not taking this seriously. And the crazy thing is...about 6 weeks ago COVID was going through my dad's side of the family. My aunt was in and out of the ER but thankfully never ended up hospitalized. My uncle was hospitalized and so were his parents - his mother ended up eventually getting discharged but his father sadly passed away. And that wasn't enough of a wake-up call for my mom's side of the family??! I don't know what more they need to take this seriously.

Is your mom teaching in-person classes? I am hoping they classify teachers as essential workers and that all of them are in phase 2 (selfish hope on my part since my husband is a teacher).

It sounds like my husband won't be going to back to having in-person classes until January 11 at the earliest, which makes sense with the expected post-Christmas spike. Same for your mom?
So glad she doesn't have Covid! How do they know if someone is a false positive? I've always wondered. You might not know either.
That's what my husband was asking - so they held onto the sample and tested it again?

I'm really not sure. I'm not sure where she got her test done but I had only heard of the rapid tests being FPs, so I was surprised that she got this result.

I hope she does too. I don't think I've ever spoken to her the way I did yesterday but I'm pretty frustrated with my family for not taking this seriously. And the crazy thing is...about 6 weeks ago COVID was going through my dad's side of the family. My aunt was in and out of the ER but thankfully never ended up hospitalized. My uncle was hospitalized and so were his parents - his mother ended up eventually getting discharged but his father sadly passed away. And that wasn't enough of a wake-up call for my mom's side of the family??! I don't know what more they need to take this seriously.

Is your mom teaching in-person classes? I am hoping they classify teachers as essential workers and that all of them are in phase 2 (selfish hope on my part since my husband is a teacher).

It sounds like my husband won't be going to back to having in-person classes until January 11 at the earliest, which makes sense with the expected post-Christmas spike. Same for your mom?

Her district started hybrid for middle and high school in October. Elementary was full 5 days a week. She is middle school teacher. The week of Thanksgiving they went to full online because her county (Medina) is purple. They will reevaluate before January 4th when school starts back up again. Though as long as Medina stays purple they will stay full remote. Teachers are to still teach from their classrooms though. She was one of the select few that get to teach from home. She got a note from her doctor before school starting stating that all precautions be taken and work from home if the precautions can't be made. She was in the classroom when they were hybrid but with no kids in the school she gets to do everything from home.

She was exposed and had to quarantine after their first week back. Her school, especially her grade (7th grade) seemed to have been hit hard with several positive and lots and lots of quarantines. She did have some symptoms but her test was negative thankfully. She has taken this very seriously and didn't want any part about being in the school. She even called me crying the day she found out they were going hybrid. I think the hardest for her is that in 3 years (counting this year) she could retire. She had us really young and didn't go to college until I was in 3rd grade. If she was able to retire she would have.

Her district started hybrid for middle and high school in October. Elementary was full 5 days a week. She is middle school teacher. The week of Thanksgiving they went to full online because her county (Medina) is purple. They will reevaluate before January 4th when school starts back up again. Though as long as Medina stays purple they will stay full remote. Teachers are to still teach from their classrooms though. She was one of the select few that get to teach from home. She got a note from her doctor before school starting stating that all precautions be taken and work from home if the precautions can't be made. She was in the classroom when they were hybrid but with no kids in the school she gets to do everything from home.

She was exposed and had to quarantine after their first week back. Her school, especially her grade (7th grade) seemed to have been hit hard with several positive and lots and lots of quarantines. She did have some symptoms but her test was negative thankfully. She has taken this very seriously and didn't want any part about being in the school. She even called me crying the day she found out they were going hybrid. I think the hardest for her is that in 3 years (counting this year) she could retire. She had us really young and didn't go to college until I was in 3rd grade. If she was able to retire she would have.
Oh wow, that sounds really rough! I am so glad she is able to work remotely and that her COVID test was negative, how scary!

I think I've said it before but my husband is also a teacher, but he teachers high school. He, like your mom, was SO upset when he found out they were going to hybrid mode in the fall. It sounds like they won't be back to hybrid until January 11 at the earliest.

I don't get the point of having the teachers come into the building when the students are remote anyway. My husband things it's so they have a more professional-looking background or something (he will need to go back to the building January 4 but the students will still be remote). But if they're all remote anyway, why not just take the risk out completely?

It's such a thankless job.

Oh wow, that sounds really rough! I am so glad she is able to work remotely and that her COVID test was negative, how scary!

I think I've said it before but my husband is also a teacher, but he teachers high school. He, like your mom, was SO upset when he found out they were going to hybrid mode in the fall. It sounds like they won't be back to hybrid until January 11 at the earliest.

I don't get the point of having the teachers come into the building when the students are remote anyway. My husband things it's so they have a more professional-looking background or something (he will need to go back to the building January 4 but the students will still be remote). But if they're all remote anyway, why not just take the risk out completely?

I agree. The teachers have been torn apart this year but they are working so much harder then they ever have.

This could be very different by district, but my sister’s is specifically having teachers come in so there’s “more accountability and monitoring” of teaching after complaints in the spring about teachers not being on time for zoom or for not managing classes effectively. Apparently it’s so administration can go sit in a teachers class to watch (couldn’t they join the zoom?) and also to immediately address problems if a parent calls and says Mr. J lost his connection or Ms. W hasn’t let my daughter into the zoom room, etc.

I think 1) it’s not far to compare some of the early bumps in the spring when they were told on a Friday to prepare to teach online Monday and kids didn’t have equipment, processes etc to how things would go after summer training and the lessons learned in those early weeks and 2) you either employ professional, competent teachers or you don’t. The crappy teacher online is almost assuredly the crappy teacher you had in your school for years and an occasional class visit didn’t fix things then and won’t now. On the other hand the majority of your teachers that killed it in the past are still going to do everything they possibly can to educate those kids and having them come in just makes a horrible task worse.

Cape May County is rising, but it’s much worse in north Jersey. Yet, I read where our hospital was at 88% capacity. Not good.

We know Florida is a mess, but the rest of the country isn't helping. This, to me, is absolutely nuts. Only 30% down?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...p-30-2020-heres-when-not-to-drive/3901668001/
Orlando in general is expecting 50% fewer, but still 50% are still coming here?
Do I feel comfortable traveling right now? No. But your posts continually shame people who are and who are doing things differently than what you think is right. I know people who have traveled and they’re being extremely smart and careful. Of course it’s not foolproof, but they’re not careless. People are going to do these things, and there’s no way you can expect it to just stop. Yes, it’s frustrating, and yes I wish more people were taking it seriously, but I no longer expect things to completely shut down.

Do I feel comfortable traveling right now? No. But your posts continually shame people who are and who are doing things differently than what you think is right. I know people who have traveled and they’re being extremely smart and careful. Of course it’s not foolproof, but they’re not careless. People are going to do these things, and there’s no way you can expect it to just stop. Yes, it’s frustrating, and yes I wish more people were taking it seriously, but I no longer expect things to completely shut down.
I agree somewhat. I don't expect people to stop doing these things. I just would have hoped more would not travel. Especially when the CDC says to avoid non essential travel.

I agree somewhat. I don't expect people to stop doing these things. I just would have hoped more would not travel. Especially when the CDC says to avoid non essential travel.
I agree, but “non essential travel” is essential for so many people whose jobs come from there. It’s a lose lose situation. People travel, more people can work, but more people will probably get sick. People don’t travel, sickness hopefully is lower but more people are out of work. My biggest frustration with how badly this was messed up.

I just want people to stop traveling so this virus will quit killing my loved ones. PLEASE
Traveling isn't solely responsible for spread. It was in the beginning but many places it's just around in the community not necessarily being brought in by someone traveling to a place. I think you need to tell your own community your concern they likely have a far greater impact on your exposure level than any person who has traveled (for business or non-essential) recently especially here on the boards but I can understand just saying your frustration out loud here.

I am sorry for those you have lost :( :( :(

. But your posts continually shame people who are and who are doing things differently than what you think is right.
I'm sorry that you think I'm "shaming" anyone. However, I strongly agree with the medical experts who say nobody should be travelling for leisure and pleasure at this time. I think it's selfish to put others at risk. Why are things getting worse again? Our fellow citizens are ignoring reality and don't care. Maybe they haven't lost anyone. I have.

I'm sorry that you think I'm "shaming" anyone. However, I strongly agree with the medical experts who say nobody should be travelling for leisure and pleasure at this time. I think it's selfish to put others at risk. Why are things getting worse again? Our fellow citizens are ignoring reality and don't care. Maybe they haven't lost anyone. I have.
Maybe shaming was the wrong word. And I get where you’re coming from. In a perfect world, yes, nobody would be traveling unnecessarily. But it’s not fair to say that everyone choosing to travel is selfish and ignoring reality.

And I am so sorry for your loss. I’m doing my part to minimize this, and I understand it’s frustrating to see people doing things that aren’t following advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter