• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

cashier gave me to much back

Not in Canada. Urban centres have move largely towards “super-boxes” where all the homes on the block will have their mail delivered to one centralized unit. Those do have a place for outgoing mail. I still receive mine at my front door and the mail carriers are not permitted to take outgoing mail.

View attachment 470026

Is the red box for outgoing mail? The last apartment complex I lived in had something like this photo. And if you received something that wouldn't fit into your individual box, the carrier left a key in your box that would open the A or B boxes at the bottom. The key would stay in the lock.

Last edited:
Not in Canada. Urban centres have move largely towards “super-boxes” where all the homes on the block will have their mail delivered to one centralized unit. Those do have a place for outgoing mail. I still receive mine at my front door and the mail carriers are not permitted to take outgoing mail.

View attachment 470026

I see these more out west than back east.

Is the red box for outgoing mail? The last apartment complex I lived in had something like this photo. And if you received something that wouldn't fit into your individual box, the carrier left a key in you box that would open the A or B boxes at the bottom. The key would stay in the lock.
We call those cluster mailboxes around my area.

Newer subdivisions (last 15 years probably longer) have those throughout the neighborhoods

Ours is at the bottom of our driveway so convenient for us. I think there's 9 slots available with 1 oversized box, plus the outgoing mail slot in each cluster mailbox. When you have a package that won't fit in your assigned slot but will fix in the oversized box a key is put in your assigned slot then you open the oversized one and leave the key in the lock. If the package is too large OR the oversized slot is already being used USPS will just deliver to your front door most often. On my street there are 2 cluster mailboxes, one by our house and then the other further up the street that services those homes.

I've lived in 2 apartment complexes plus dorm rooms and they were set up that way too only with the mail being in a centralized cluster system for all the apartments/rooms. However, one of the apartment complexes was so big it was divided by North and South and 2 clubhouses one for each. North had their cluster mailbox and South had their own.

many years ago I wrote a check for $20 over for gas. Wrapped it up in the receipt not looking at it. got home and found out it was a $50 instead. Went right back to the store and went to the cashier and told her what happened and exchanged the bill. We used to put the $50's under the $20's where I worked so I guess what happened was the $50 got put in with the $20's and she didn't look to see what she was handing me. We didn't have separate tills so anyone could have done that.

I live in a large apartment building with a bank of small locked mailboxes. No way to indicate you have outgoing mail; put it in your mail slot and the carrier assumes it's your mail they previously delivered. Stick a letter in the molding above the boxes, there's a 50/50 chance it'll get picked up.
Weird, every bank I've ever had/seen (both apartments and house) have always had an outgoing slot as well. Seems so inconvenient and such a simple fix.

Good for you for wanting to give the extra money back. Your post was very encouraging this morning. :)

I agree! Admittedly, I'm not sure I would notice if someone gave me incorrect change (too much or too little), unless it was an extreme difference. I'm usually in such a scatter to round up my kids and leave that I just shove the change in my purse, crumple my receipt, and head out. I will start paying more attention though-I didn't realize the cashier could get fired!

I agree! Admittedly, I'm not sure I would notice if someone gave me incorrect change (too much or too little), unless it was an extreme difference. I'm usually in such a scatter to round up my kids and leave that I just shove the change in my purse, crumple my receipt, and head out. I will start paying more attention though-I didn't realize the cashier could get fired!

I agree with you about how sometimes you don't notice an error like that. I know people are saying if you return the money if will be good for the cashier. I honestly don't see how that makes a difference. The cashier still made the mistake. it is not the customers responsibility to find the error and come back for the cashier.

Please don't mistake me in that I am saying returning the money is the wrong thing to do. I am just saying I do not think the customer returning the money impacts the perception of the performance of the casher.

I agree with you about how sometimes you don't notice an error like that. I know people are saying if you return the money if will be good for the cashier. I honestly don't see how that makes a difference. The cashier still made the mistake. it is not the customers responsibility to find the error and come back for the cashier.

Please don't mistake me in that I am saying returning the money is the wrong thing to do. I am just saying I do not think the customer returning the money impacts the perception of the performance of the casher.
There was only one retail place I worked at that kept such a strict cash in and out of calculation.

Every shift it was just a certain person cashiering (there were like 3 registers at the store location which was at the mall). If you were done with your shift or were moving on to a different task (like fitting room) you had to cash out your register and it would be counted for discrepancies. A cashier who was $5 over OR under was put on a list and that pretty much meant you were in trouble. Unless the person immediately turned around and returned the money it wouldn't have matter whatsoever in regards to the cashier--it only would have mattered for the company's bottom line in getting the cash back. The cashier's till would have been out of sorts when it was counted at the cash out for that particular cashier.

That said that was the only company that was so strict.

Is the red box for outgoing mail? The last apartment complex I lived in had something like this photo. And if you received something that wouldn't fit into your individual box, the carrier left a key in you box that would open the A or B boxes at the bottom. The key would stay in the lock.
Exactly. You put outgoing mail in the red slot, which is meant to look like a Post Box (here they are bright red). The only difference is that the big parcel boxes lock automatically and you are meant to put the key into the red collection slot after you have used it to retrieve your package. I've got mail delivery to my door (quite a rarity) and the mail carriers DO NOT deliver parcels. Instead, you get a little card that identifies which postal station you have to go to and pick it up. Postal stations here are contracted to private sector providers and are usually located inside convenience stores and retail outlets.

This isnt the nice answer, but me (not saying anyone else) but if I notice, I let them know, if Im home when I notice, its mine

Take it and your receipt to the customer service counter. Mistakes happen. If she gets into too much trouble, then IMHO she works for a not very nice boss.

OP had already returned the money when this was posted.
No, it is not "priced in" already. (What does that even mean - that it was accounted for? Not if this store is like most).
To err is human. OP considerately went out of their way to return the money the same day, so the cashier wouldn't be in (too much?) trouble.
Just another pot stirrer.

Wherever you receive your mail is where you can put outgoing mail. That's why traditional mailboxes have flags. You raise the flag when it has outgoing mail.
No mailboxes with flags at the street where I live. Mailbox is attached to house next to front door. You take the envelopes you want mailed and half hang them out to indicate you would like them mailed

No mailboxes with flags at the street where I live. Mailbox is attached to house next to front door. You take the envelopes you want mailed and half hang them out to indicate you would like them mailed
My mom uses a bag clip lol (like for sealing up potato chip bags)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter