Castaway Cay docking stats

Thank you for the extra info. It looks like the day before is supposed to be much calmer (and no other ships are in port). I've heard that they sometimes switch days when they can't dock on one day. Here's hoping for the best!
Yes, they will sometimes switch days if weather looks bad on one day. Of course, that depends on whether another ship is already scheduled for the 'other' day (since they can only dock one ship at CC at a time). Rest assured they will do their absolute best, likely trying multiple times to dock before making the call to abort. And it's always for safety reasons when they have to make that call.

Thought I would revive this thread because someone in our sailing group suggested we might miss CC due to high winds. We arrive at CC a week from today, so I know this could change, but it currently says:

Wind WSW 25 mph

Wind Gusts 43 mph

Does anybody know what the general threshold for "too windy to dock" is?
I was on a sailing where the ocean current prevented us from docking. It was sunny and beautiful weather so it was extra disappointing. The captain tried three times if I recall (April 2019 sailing)

I was on a sailing where the ocean current prevented us from docking. It was sunny and beautiful weather so it was extra disappointing. The captain tried three times if I recall (April 2019 sailing)
I would actually be thrilled if they swap our CC day with our final sea day before it—but it will be so disappointing to miss CC entirely. I know that the crew will do whatever they can to make it happen and will hope for the best.

I have made it 6 out of 8 tries. One of our cruises the entire cruise was turned back due to Hurricane Irma. We probably could have made it into CC if the ship wasn't trying to avoid a hurricane. The other time we missed it because of a storm the week before so they rerouted us but we did get close to CC and the ship dropped off supplies to the island.

When we sailed the week of Halloween on the Fantasy, we were late arriving b/c of sea conditions and I was at least 25% convinced that we weren't going to be able to dock, but we made it.

Last week, docked on the Dream, no issue. So I'm 6 for 6.

8 cruises and 10 stops at CC. No misses. Only had 9 originally scheduled. We had an extra stop when we couldn't make it to St Maarten (looks like someone earlier in this thread was on that cruise too.). The closest we came to not making it was in Dec 2023. The weather improved overnight and we made it, but apparently the crew was preparing for us not to dock.

8 cruises and 10 stops at CC. No misses. Only had 9 originally scheduled. We had an extra stop when we couldn't make it to St Maarten (looks like someone earlier in this thread was on that cruise too.). The closest we came to not making it was in Dec 2023. The weather improved overnight and we made it, but apparently the crew was preparing for us not to dock.
So far we are 5/5 (but our most recent stop was pouring rain so hard that all but 20 people were back on the ship by the time we return around 2:30pm. Really, really hoping to make it and have warm enough weather to enjoy the island.

Keep in mind that, although the ship may dock, certain activities, such as parasailing, may be cancelled due to wind, weather, etc.

Disney may control many things, but it doesn't control the weather.....yet.
All I want is sand in my toes, sun on my skin (even if it's cloudy), and a chuka in my hand. :p

Just for fun and stats - 23 attempts and 23 successes so far. One time they docked us overnight the night before as the weather looked rough. I don't think they would have done that if it wasn't a run Disney event that day on the island. I am curious what a day would be like on the boat if we missed CC, but I really am super happy that we have made it each time so far - two more chances next month :)

2 of 4 times for me. So, we've missed CC 50%. But once was a hurricane so they had to completely divert us to Canada and away from our original itinerary. And once was high winds.

We are 11 out of 12. We missed once because of high winds. The captain tried 3 times to park, with the final time being at noon. You don’t know how frustrating it is when you are standing on the top deck, on a perfectly sunny day, watching them trying to dock this huge ship. You are so close that just want to jump off and swim the rest of the way in! We were of course disappointed, but I felt worse for the people that wanted to experience it for their very first time. One more reason for them to book again!! We totally understood, safety first. So pleased that the captain did not give up!

We are 11 out of 12. We missed once because of high winds. The captain tried 3 times to park, with the final time being at noon. You don’t know how frustrating it is when you are standing on the top deck, on a perfectly sunny day, watching them trying to dock this huge ship. You are so close that just want to jump off and swim the rest of the way in!
jump and swim to shore, now you’re giving me ideas—I’d be perfectly happy to hole up in a cabana and wait for the next ship. 🤣

Only once did we almost miss- so long ago, maybe 18 years?. I think it was our first cruise, on the Wonder. We made so many attempts due to the wind. When we finally made it in there was the log jam of everyone rushing to get off. Yet here I am, all these years later still cruising DCL-lol. The captain, and please forgive me, I do not remember his name was standing outside the ship. People were frazzled and rushing to start their time on the island. Not my newbie cruising hubbie though. He walks up to the captain to shake his hand. Poor guy, I think he thought my husband was going to yell at him because we were late getting there! Such a fun memory!DSC01328(1).JPG

Only once did we almost miss- so long ago, maybe 18 years?. I think it was our first cruise, on the Wonder. We made so many attempts due to the wind. When we finally made it in there was the log jam of everyone rushing to get off. Yet here I am, all these years later still cruising DCL-lol. The captain, and please forgive me, I do not remember his name was standing outside the ship. People were frazzled and rushing to start their time on the island. Not my newbie cruising hubbie though. He walks up to the captain to shake his hand. Poor guy, I think he thought my husband was going to yell at him because we were late getting there! Such a fun memory!View attachment 828731
I was actually curious if you get a later departure if you don’t disembark until 11 or 12–but I would never yell at the Captain (or anyone else).

We just missed CC for the first time on our December Wish cruise. They didn't even attempt to dock. The weather was bad the whole cruise. Besides that, no problems.

3 cruises, only made it to CC one time! We thought it was a fluke the first time (end of January) with high winds. The second cruise (early February) had absolutely perfect weather and we loved CC. The third cruise (early December) had high winds.

Super interesting thread for sure! We have been 3 for 3 for getting to stop at castaway HOWEVER, 1 of our stops I do know they cancelled a lot of activities due to high winds so I'd assume we got lucky that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter