Castmembers Calling Everyone "Friend"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of that as well. I expect we're starting to see cast members who grew up being called "friends" in school, so it sounds perfectly natural to them. When Disney askes them to make an effort to be gender-neutral, "friends' is probably what comes to mind.
In my school district we started using the term 'friends' around 8-10 years ago- it was hard for me to get used to at first but now when teaching I probably say it 10-20 times a day. IMO much better than 'ok guys' or 'hi boys and girls'. The term 'friend' is gender and age neutral and most likely part of the vocabulary of many young adults.

otoh doesn't 'friend' assume a relationship that isn't there? Isn't it harder to establish boundaries when everyone is telling you that everyone is a friend? I mean there is a lot you could discuss.

To me, we already share one thing in common, which is Disney. That makes them my friend. Some of these people who are complaining about being called friend are way too sensitive in my opinion.

Drax the Destroyer : I just wanted to tell you how grateful I am that you've accepted me despite my blunders. It is good to once again be among friends. You, Quill, are my friend.
Peter Quill : Thanks.
Drax the Destroyer : This dumb tree is also my friend.
[Groot grunts]
Drax the Destroyer : And this green <bleep> is also...
Gamora : Oh, you must stop!

In my school district we started using the term 'friends' around 8-10 years ago- it was hard for me to get used to at first but now when teaching I probably say it 10-20 times a day. IMO much better than 'ok guys' or 'hi boys and girls'. The term 'friend' is gender and age neutral and most likely part of the vocabulary of many young adults.
This also dilutes the word's meaning. Why not make a new word that is gender neutral without distorting an old one?

otoh doesn't 'friend' assume a relationship that isn't there? Isn't it harder to establish boundaries when everyone is telling you that everyone is a friend? I mean there is a lot you could discuss.

Friend = safe, stranger = danger?
Either way it's weird because it's already a word that describes a specific relationship that my family surely doesn't have with cast members. Reminds me of a slimy salesman tactic to get in with people and as soon as CM used that I would turn distrustful.
What's the collective word for a group of WDW guests - welcome Dreamers? (ugh, that's actually awful)

I thought of that as well. I expect we're starting to see cast members who grew up being called "friends" in school, so it sounds perfectly natural to them. When Disney askes them to make an effort to be gender-neutral, "friends' is probably what comes to mind.

Our daycare class uses pals, so maybe there will be a shift to that soon. 🤣

Friend = safe, stranger = danger?
Either way it's weird because it's already a word that describes a specific relationship that my family surely doesn't have with cast members. Reminds me of a slimy salesman tactic to get in with people and as soon as CM used that I would turn distrustful.
What's the collective word for a group of WDW guests - welcome Dreamers? (ugh, that's actually awful)
already taken

Our daycare class uses pals, so maybe there will be a shift to that soon. 🤣
Since the word 'pals' is a word that is not commonly used I think it works better. Take an older word and give it a new meaning. Don't take a common word and dilute it's meaning.

why would anyone dislike being called friend or honestly give it a second thought?
Because the word implies a level of intimacy that doesn't exist. My friends know where I live. They know my kids' names. They know details about my life. The best friends have been there for me at my lowest points and have celebrated the highlights. A CM that just rung up my purchase at the cash register is none of those things to me, nor am I to them.

In areas where the Quaker influence is strong (southeastern PA, Delaware, MD), “friend” is a common term. Friend is often the term used to address others. I, and many other teachers, use the term “Friends” when addressing groups of students or parents. Quakers are known as the “Religious Society of Friends”.

In areas where the Quaker influence is strong (southeastern PA, Delaware, MD), “friend” is a common term. Friend is often the term used to address others. I, and many other teachers, use the term “Friends” when addressing groups of students or parents. Quakers are known as the “Religious Society of Friends”.
I live in SEPA. I've never been addressed as "friend" by anyone in a customer situation.

Wow, if so many people are offended by/disliking the term friend, good thing WDW isn't in Australia where they might be saying "Thanks for coming, Mate"! Talk about a relationship you don't have with that person......!

I expect there isn't a single word cast members could use to address guests that wouldn't offend someone for some reason. Never even considered before this post that 'friend' might be a problem. In a world of social media where 'friending" 10,000 is considered an accomplishment and where bullying terms are very common, I don't see the term friend as anything that concerns me. In fact, I kinda like it!

This is what's bothering people on their Disney trip? Someone calling them "friend" as they come and go?

I can think of 100 things that may annoy me on a Disney trip.....Being called "friend" by a CM would not even make the list.

"But they aren't my REAL friends..." Are we being serious? I mean Cinderella does not really live in the castle, it's not really Mickey or his pals it's just someone in a suit, and I promise you that you are not really in space on ANY rides not matter how much RotR makes you believe otherwise.

I assure you, it's just a Disney CM trying to brighten your day. They are probably using friend because of all the PC nonsense about pronouns. Friends is a pretty generic term, and yet some people still aren't happy, thus proving the age old adage, "You can't please everyone...."

This is what's bothering people on their Disney trip? Someone calling them "friend" as they come and go?

I can think of 100 things that may annoy me on a Disney trip.....Being called "friend" by a CM would not even make the list.

"But they aren't my REAL friends..." Are we being serious? I mean Cinderella does not really live in the castle, it's not really Mickey or his pals it's just someone in a suit, and I promise you that you are not really in space on ANY rides not matter how much RotR makes you believe otherwise.

I assure you, it's just a Disney CM trying to brighten your day. They are probably using friend because of all the PC nonsense about pronouns. Friends is a pretty generic term, and yet some people still aren't happy, thus proving the age old adage, "You can't please everyone...."
Please. There is a difference between not liking something and getting annoyed with it while on vacation. This just sounds like some suit's dumb idea that the CMs have been encouraged to use when they attended their most recent Keys presentation.

Better than "My pleasure" from Chick-Fil-A, which I find kinda creepy.

Maybe they can adopt the Anton Chigurh nomenclature and call everyone "friendo". Have a good day, friendo.

First thing that popped into my brain. "What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?"

You nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter