Cement May Contain Peanuts!!!

My late husband was severely allergic to many many things. We didn't expect everyone to change their world to accomodate him. I made him separate meals many times. Sometimes he just wouldn't eat while we were out because of his allergies.

I can understand families being upset about the peanuts in the cement but they also bear some responsibility. I would hate to see Disney having generic designs because of food issues.

It was one of the best rants/segments I have heard. :rotfl:

I can't wait to see if Gaston is covered with hair and to see Beast :yay:

If someone has anxiety issues based on seeing fake peanuts that they cannot overcome, then unfortunately the only real solution is to bypass that area. I suffer from claustrophobia, which appears to get worse as I get older. I do not expect Disney to remove Mission Space (or any other attraction that may trigger my anxiety), I make the decision to ride it or not based on my ability to cope with the small space.

While I have agreed with most of what you said, I don't agree with this.

Comparing someone who spends life confined to a wheelchair, to someone that reacted to a cement peanut seems far-fetched.

I also feel that we have recently seen the degradation of the word "bully". People are finally starting to speak to the real and serious issue of bullying and the results that can come of it.

Disney does a great job of dealing with folks needing help with accessibility as well as folks with food allergies. No one is taking anything away from that.

As for wrapping this in humor....I think we could all take ourselves a bit less seriously and laugh at our foibles. If anyone has reacted or over-reacted to cement peanuts....I think we could all take a step back and laugh.

Please do not insinuate from what I have said, that I think peanut allergies (or any other potentially lethal allergy) are humorous. I don't.

Had Disney spread real peanut shells around the Dumbo ride, I would think that guests have every right to be worried, but, as these were actually imbedded in the cement (so guests don't trip over cement peanuts), in hindsight...it's kinda funny.

Well said.... I understand that when it is your children the "mama bear protection" comes out however, we do need to take a step back and laugh at ourselves. I never heard any of Pete's rant insult people with Peanut allergy or insinuate it wasn't a serious issue. He was just saying take a step back, listen to what your saying, and you will hear how silly it sounds.

Thanks to SafetyMom for the photos. They sure blend in for me. Looks like a mix of "peanuts" and leaves in the photo. Or are they all "peanuts"?

darrengs said:
If someone has anxiety issues based on seeing fake peanuts that they cannot overcome, then unfortunately the only real solution is to bypass that area. I suffer from claustrophobia, which appears to get worse as I get older. I do not expect Disney to remove Mission Space (or any other attraction that may trigger my anxiety), I make the decision to ride it or not based on my ability to cope with the small space.

Excellent point!

My 17 month old has a severe nut allergy. I am an epi pen carrying Momma but it wouldn't even cross my mind to be afraid or anxious of the decorative peanuts. I will reserve final judgment until seeing them personally myself. But from the photo, it certainly doesn't look to be misleading to me.

When was the rant? I want to listen because I love Pete's rants but I haven't been able to keep up with the show since my boss banned headphones at work *grumble*

The discussion on the podcast made me think of one of my favorite George Carlin quotes which has been proven right time and time again:

“Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!”

I'm wondering if the Imagineers heard about the controversy and found it funny and decided to change up the splash area a little

Before:
dscf9150.jpg

Now:
dscf0475.jpg

they replaced the bucket of fruit with a WHOLE bucket of peanuts

I have severe food allergies, including a severe nut and peanut allergy, and I thought the peanuts in the ground were hilarious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter