~Change of Heart about FP+ & Magic Bands~

DRDISNEYMD

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A gi
~Okay, I hate to admit it but after our experience -- I have to say that FP+ & Magic Bands are just too fabulous to give away to everyone for free. I don't know how Disney does it, but I think it's a steal!!!

~Let those who love to run around from dated FP machine to FP machine collecting paper tickets all day and no choice of selecting a return time continue to do so. And, please give those of us who truly appreciate the freedom and fun FP+/Magic Bands afford, the opportunity to purchase at a premium.

~I used to scoff at the idea of Disney monetizing the basic aspect(s) of FP+, and in a sense I still do. But, to make everyone happy -- Disney should keep the old FP for free to the masses and market the Magic Bands and FP+ just to someone like me, who would jump at the chance to buy this -- make it only available to resort guests and AP's who purchase directly from Disney, and give us exclusive access to the MDE app/website. This way everyone wins!

~I want a "Platinum Magic Band" similar to both Six Flags Platinum Flash Band and Universal's Front of the Line Pass -- it's little to no waiting and you can ride most of the rides twice without getting back in line. Or, Disney could keep the Magic Bands with a limit of three which is perfectly fine for us, and offer an upgrade to a Platinum Band with more options!

~The more I think it about it, the more I feel this should be completely monetized -- all of the other theme parks are doing this and catch little to no flack. People already pay top dollar using unscrupulous methods to cut corners and access the front of the line. So why not create a legitimate platform that benefits everyone by allowing people to pay for what they want??? The implementation of a pay for play system utilizing Disney's Magic Bands and FP+ would be pure genius, IMO!

~With that said, I think it's fabulous how Disney continues to upgrade their infrastructure with savvy new tech! Love it!!!
:lovestruc

They're not going to be free though. The cost will be absorbed in various ways - increased prices, fewer discounts, to name but a few.

I loved our experience with MB and FP+ but am So thankful they are free to all. I scrimp and save for each Disney resort and have never stayed at a mod let alone deluxe resort. Charging for bands wouldn't be a drop in the bucket for some but to others it would hugely impact them in a negative way. So thankful they're free & hope they always stay that way!!

I literally just shelled out $1900 for tickets for my family for our Disney vacation. Ticket prices are high enough. No need to make us all pay for FP+ too. Give extra benefits for people who stay onsite. I am all for that. They pay the ridiculous prices to do so. They deserve some sorta extra incentive. (It might actually bring us back onsite as well).

I'm glad you had such a good trip, but our family could never, ever, ever afford such a luxury. :(

I literally just shelled out $1900 for tickets for my family for our Disney vacation. Ticket prices are high enough. No need to make us all pay for FP+ too. Give extra benefits for people who stay onsite. I am all for that. They pay the ridiculous prices to do so. They deserve some sorta extra incentive. (It might actually bring us back onsite as well).

I do wish they could give a bit more to onsite guests... 1 hour in the morning w/ thousands of other onsite guests, all in one park, just isn't worth it anymore. Anyone, meaning off site guests, can and do use the transportation, so it's not like that's really an onsite perk.

btw, the fp+ system is pure genius!! I can't believe I can now stroll into a park at whatever time and know I'm getting on 3 of my fav rides! The first few years toy story was open, we couldn't get on it, because the fast passes for the day were gone by 9:30am (yes, we should have been at rope drop at 9am, but we weren't). That was the start of my dh getting very fed up w/ disney and pushing to not go there anymore.

So will fp+ be for onsite guests only? Tied to your hotel room? Or tied to your tickets and for everyone? Just curious... don't know if I care either way.

I also had a very positive experience testing the MagicBand and FP+ as well :).
~Yay! Thanks for sharing this, I love hearing positive Magic Band/FP+ experiences -- it's like a breath of fresh air! :goodvibes

They're not going to be free though. The cost will be absorbed in various ways - increased prices, fewer discounts, to name but a few.
~Well said! I totally agree, but this is quite different than a POS transaction or purchasing upfront out of pocket. I have the opinion that prices go up *every* year anyway. If you've been visiting for several years, you have no doubt seen prices sky rocket. With this, at least we have something tangible as a result of the price hikes. :goodvibes

They already do, the VIP tour, and it is $1800 for a day.
~LOL. :rotfl2: No, that's not quite what I meant. I don't want a private tour guide, just the option to access something more along the lines to what's offered at Six Flags and/or Universal. :goodvibes

And you think it's 'free'??? Silly you!!! There is nothing that's free at WDW! We all pay for everything...many times over. And yes, I've seen those prices skyrocket. Thank heaven I bought DVC 10 years ago!! Otherwise it would be a trip every three years or so!

And the comment about Six Flags and Universal? No way should it be that way. I guess if you want, you could charge off-site guests for the bands. But WDW resort guests should be getting them free. US/IoA guests get front of the line access free.

I loved our experience with MB and FP+ but am So thankful they are free to all. I scrimp and save for each Disney resort and have never stayed at a mod let alone deluxe resort. Charging for bands wouldn't be a drop in the bucket for some but to others it would hugely impact them in a negative way. So thankful they're free & hope they always stay that way!!
~Great post! And, this is why I've always been against charging for FP's from the beginning! I really hope there are more like you and me who really appreciate what Disney is doing -- the Magic Bands along with the option to select what we want, when we want from the comfort of our homes is so nice. The bands are shipped overnight/2 day mail for "free" in super cute colors, even the packaging is top notch. People who don't appreciate this, should not be forced to use it. :goodvibes

~Very nice post. You've made me rethink this. I think MagicBands/FP+ are too fabulous to "force" them on people who don't want them for whatever reason -- it just seems like such a waste. But, by the same token the Magic Bands should accessible to anyone who *wants* them. So, it may be better for Disney to offer some kind of incentive designed for those purchasing the MagicBands/FP+ in the combination of a nice room and ticket discount equal or more to the upfront cost of adding the bands. And again, the MDE website and apps should only be accessible to those participating in the program. Actually, I like this better. :goodvibes

I'm glad you had such a good trip, but our family could never, ever, ever afford such a luxury. :(
~Hi momof2n2! :wave2: Wow, I admit to being somewhat confused by your comment because luxury is purely subjective. Unfortunately, I know people who scoff at the mention of taking a Disney vacation. :rotfl2: :(

~So, by "luxury" are you talking about spending *only* 28 days at Pop Century with *just* the regular dining plan and park hoppers with no water parks & more when you can stay at a deluxe or never being able able to take a Disney trip, at all -- the fact that you can take any Disney vacation or even start to plan one is a "luxury", IMO.
:goodvibes

~Well said! I totally agree, but this is quite different than a POS transaction or purchasing upfront out of pocket. I have the opinion that prices go up *every* year anyway. If you've been visiting for several years, you have no doubt seen prices sky rocket. With this, at least we have something tangible as a result of the price hikes. :goodvibes

I don't dispute that. I just feel that because I would be able to stretch myself to pay for this, doesnt make it ok to charge extra. Much as I'd love to have extra perks with fewer folk to have to share with, I just can't be happy with the fact that this would negatively impact so many families who honestly don't have an extra dime to pay for it. I think of the children who will never experience what my daughter gets to enjoy. It's nice to feel privileged - but not when I know that there are others who will suffer for it. That just makes me sad

US/IoA guests get front of the line access free.

It's not front of the line. There can be a line in front of you, even when using the unlimited Express Pass; a line of other people using Express Pass. Might be shorter, but it's not FOTL.

This is what the poster is saying. As it stands, they roll this out for everyone and charge everyone for it. So a family that is right at the line beforehand must stretch thin elsewhere or decide not to go when, given the choice, they would rather do without fp+ and pay a lower fee.

At the same time, guests with more options financially speaking may happily pay a little more for a little more convenience. Given the choice, maybe a 5 night deluxe stay becomes a 7 night moderate with a silver upgrade magic band. Whatever, I dunno.

Point is, as it stands, a whole lot more value guests will be funding this system than guests from the mods and deluxes who will get the same perk.

I agree. I just paid twice as much for my 2013 family trip to Disney World (just the package (Polynesian), not transportation) than I did for my 2010 Kauai Hawaii trip at a 4.5 star hotel with airfare. I'm not actually complaining because I knew the price and chose to pay it anyway, but I feel I'm already paying enough, why should I have to pay more to get what is currently included.

And you think it's 'free'??? Silly you!!! There is nothing that's free at WDW! We all pay for everything...many times over. And yes, I've seen those prices skyrocket. Thank heaven I bought DVC 10 years ago!! Otherwise it would be a trip every three years or so!

Exactly...Disney has not become a multi-billion corporation by giving anything away for free.

In fact...Disney is the absolute master of selling the "illusion of things being free". Hence one of Disney's most successful programs is "Free Dining"... :thumbsup2

Bottom line...every customer is going to subsidize the cost of the Magic Bands & FP+ programs.

One potential issue with charging extra in true pos rather than embedding costs - when ceo sent letter to congress (in response to inquiry regarding privacy issues) expressly stating they would not charge, or words to that effect. It is true his language probably left enough wiggle room to charge for enhanced fp plus or something (and maybe to charge if offsite guests want), and obviously people can change their minds, etc, but I assume for initial full rollout will probably not want to openly flout congress. It would be particularly super if onsite continue to be able to double dip, so to speak, but that is likely not the case (although maybe disney is seeing that this can work, at least for onsite guests) - if that happens, rooms may jump even higher - although at a certain point, they may be pushing into four seasons prices, which may even be intentional.

And the comment about Six Flags and Universal? No way should it be that way. I guess if you want, you could charge off-site guests for the bands. But WDW resort guests should be getting them free. US/IoA guests get front of the line access free.
~Hi goofy4tink! :wave2: I find this post funny because I remember when people said it was "impossible" for MB/FP+ to be "free" especially for everyone and I couldn't convince anyone otherwise. And, now my feelings are it's too fabulous to be "free." :rotfl: I guess it's the same deal with Magical Express, there was a lot of resistance regarding that, as well. And, now many of us love it! I don't see why Disney can't offer a platinum band for a premium that will allow for more rides or maybe one attraction per hour or something. Disney can do something like this -- but they don't have too. :goodvibes

I don't dispute that. I just feel that because I would be able to stretch myself to pay for this, doesnt make it ok to charge extra. Much as I'd love to have extra perks with fewer folk to have to share with, I just can't be happy with the fact that this would negatively impact so many families who honestly don't have an extra dime to pay for it. I think of the children who will never experience what my daughter gets to enjoy. It's nice to feel privileged - but not when I know that there are others who will suffer for it. That just makes me sad
~Hi 2 Tiggies! :wave2: Wow! I really appreciate your comment and I think I share your fabulous point of view! I would not want anyone to be denied the opportunity to experience MB/FP+ -- which is why I like the idea of Disney offering a substantial discount or some kind of bonus incentive only for MB/FP+ users and of course the MDE apps and website should only be accessible to MB/FP+ users, too. Guests who prefer to use the old fp system really have no need to access MDE or website -- and this way the system would be easier to manage with a smaller pool of users. :goodvibes
It's not front of the line. There can be a line in front of you, even when using the unlimited Express Pass; a line of other people using Express Pass. Might be shorter, but it's not FOTL.
~Hi Bumbershoot! :wave2: I totally agree, "front of the line" is not really the "front of the line." :rotfl:

I am praying that we get to try them in November. :yay:
~Hi wdwmom0f3! :wave2: I just read some fabulous news about November! I hope you get to try them out soon, too! Have fun! :cool1:

This is what the poster is saying. As it stands, they roll this out for everyone and charge everyone for it. So a family that is right at the line beforehand must stretch thin elsewhere or decide not to go when, given the choice, they would rather do without fp+ and pay a lower fee.

At the same time, guests with more options financially speaking may happily pay a little more for a little more convenience. Given the choice, maybe a 5 night deluxe stay becomes a 7 night moderate with a silver upgrade magic band. Whatever, I dunno.

Point is, as it stands, a whole lot more value guests will be funding this system than guests from the mods and deluxes who will get the same perk.
~Hi cobright! :wave2: Wow! This is a very interesting comment, I'm not sure if I agree with this. How did you come to the conclusion that "more value guests" would fund the system if given the option? :goodvibes

I agree. I just paid twice as much for my 2013 family trip to Disney World (just the package (Polynesian), not transportation) than I did for my 2010 Kauai Hawaii trip at a 4.5 star hotel with airfare. I'm not actually complaining because I knew the price and chose to pay it anyway, but I feel I'm already paying enough, why should I have to pay more to get what is currently included.
~Hi wyurm! :wave2: Okay, instead of "charging" an upfront fee for MB/FP+ -- Disney should offer deep incentives and or rewards to guests who embrace the new system, but still keep the old fp system for those who don't want to utilize MB/FP+. This way everyone wins. With that said, I still would like the option to add more features to my MB for a premium. :goodvibes

Exactly...Disney has not become a multi-billion corporation by giving anything away for free.

In fact...Disney is the absolute master of selling the "illusion of things being free". Hence one of Disney's most successful programs is "Free Dining"... :thumbsup2

Bottom line...every customer is going to subsidize the cost of the Magic Bands & FP+ programs.
~Hi traylorc! :wave2: I have never participated in "Free Dining" so it's never been an illusion for me. I saw "free dining" for what it was from the moment it debuted and I've never been a fan. In addition, I only stay Deluxe and "Free Dining" was more expensive than a room only package, pin or even the Chase Visa discounts. Trust me, I've been aware for quite some time that the costs for MB/FP+ are tied into the overall parks & resort operating infrastructure . :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter