Changes you've made to make life easier

Like several PPs, I have a fairly small, well coordinated wardrobe (and like one other, I wear a lot of dresses). All of my clothes except winter coats and rain cot fit easily in one IKEA closet, with my suitcase on the top shelf. I keep shoes in a bin under the bed. It make it easy to choose what to wear or pack and to put away laundry. I also only buy pieces I really love or know i need/want to fill in a hole in the wardrobe (often replacing a worn out or nearly so item)--which saves on shopping expenses.

I keep my smaller suitcase ready for ravel with a toiletry kit, travel make up set and small robe in it at all times.

I "touch it once" with mail, etc-----check the mail on the way into the house and then do not sit down or do other things until I have dealt with all of it-----open and toss junk mail, open and go online and set up payment for any bills, open and fill in forms tht need mailed back then out the in an envelope that is stamped and addressed and set by the door to go back out, etc. If I cannot deal with it right away (I need to make an appointment and it is outside of hours to do so, etc) i place a note in my calendar to remind me to do so and then pitch the appointment reminder card.
I do no sit down or focus on another task until the mail is dealt with. Saves me searching for papers later, having piles around looking messy, etc.

Same thing when returning from travel, other than possibly a quick trip to the bathroom or a quick drink of water if needed, I do not do anythign else until fully unpacked, everything (including suitcase) out away and the first load of laundry is going (socks/undies/etc go straight from suitcase into washer). Then i am not constantly moving the suitcase around to get it out of the way, looking for things tht are in the suitcase, stressing bout needing to get unpacked, etc.

Oh, and I am weird about groceries and food prep---I find it far less stressful (and cheaper!) when we do not plan more than a day or two ahead. We live very near a small store and can get to others quickly and easily, so commute is not an issue (I often walk and get some exercise in the bargain).

Once a month or so we do a bigger trip and stock up on soda/beer/wine/frozen products/dry pasta/ flour/ etc--things it is good to always have on hand.

Otherwise, I check the cabinet/fridge in the morning to see what we have to work with and think of what to buy to supplement it to make a meal that sounds appealing and pick up a couple of items at whatever point in the day it is easy to do so. This allows us to be flexible (DS19 decides he will be out with friends---that is half as much food needed for that evening! It'S hot and no one wants a cooked entree---salad and summer sausage to the rescue! etc) and go with what sounds good/appealing at the time or is fresh or on sale at the store or farm stand , which results in a lot less waste and tastier food.

For me it is stressful to have to cook huge batches at once, or to plan today what I want to eat next wednesday---so having shifted my mindset to not having to plan or shop for a week or more at once really took away a lot of stress.

Last edited:
For me, it's all about the bread. I hate soggy bread or bread that's been sitting in the fridge for a few days. I might still eat a sandwich that has been refrigerated a day or two. It might taste okay, depending on what's on it, but it would taste so much better freshly made.

I guess if you slather a sandwich in mayo or oil, that could become an issue. But we don't. If anything, a turkey and cheese sandwich may have a light coat of mustard...our kids really aren't into condiments. For my lunches, I don't pre-make it completely. I weigh out my turkey or chicken and wrap it in plastic wrap. I then grab one of my wraps in the morning and then put them together in the afternoon at work.

Each to their own, but it really doesn't taste any different (again, assuming you aren't covering it in sloppy stuff). For us, the time it saves is invaluable. Instead of having to go into the fridge each day to take the ingredients out, assemble everything, put everything away, pack the sandwich in bags, etc...it's so much more efficient to do it assembly line style. Same with dinner. Most of our weekdays literally go from 4am to 9pm non-stop...there are many days when I'm in the house a total of 45 minutes or less in a 24 hour period when I'm actually awake. The rest of the time we're out, or sleeping. It's a necessity to do what we can to save time.

Besides, IMO, a lot of it is perception anyway. Unless you buy bread fresh from a bakery, it's probably a week old...or more...before you made the sandwich. Same with lunch meat and peanut butter. That peanut butter jar wasn't packed this morning, it could literally be a few months old. We keep it all in the fridge, just like it is kept before it's assembled. Except the peanut butter. I think people just get weirded out by having the ingredients touching each other for a few days. If the sandwich is basically dry, it doesn't change any taste from when it was in its own packaging.

I hired someone to clean up the dog poop in my backyard (I have two big dogs). She comes once a week and I so appreciate not having to clean it up myself.
No top sheets ever: all beds have a fitted sheet and a duvet in a washable duvet cover.
Having duplicates of some things: I have scissors in my office, in the kitchen and in my bedroom; combs in every bathroom; tape in several rooms, etc. I was always running up and down stairs trying to find where I last used the scissors.
This one might sound silly but: I have a little plastic cup in my car door with change in it. Now that I don't carry as much cash, I'd often find myself without any change when I needed to pay for a grocery cart or a parking meter. It's helped so much to have that little cup of change!

My biggest thing was hiring a cleaning person last fall. I hated cleaning and I never did the whole house at once (unless we were having company), so it never really felt clean. Our lady comes every other week and does a whole house cleaning for $75. The best money I ever spent.

I do groceries once a week only. I don't ever just stop in Kroger to pick up a couple things during the week. If we run out of something - it waits until Saturday or Sunday when I go to the store to be replaced.

I guess if you slather a sandwich in mayo or oil, that could become an issue. But we don't. If anything, a turkey and cheese sandwich may have a light coat of mustard...our kids really aren't into condiments. For my lunches, I don't pre-make it completely. I weigh out my turkey or chicken and wrap it in plastic wrap. I then grab one of my wraps in the morning and then put them together in the afternoon at work.

Each to their own, but it really doesn't taste any different (again, assuming you aren't covering it in sloppy stuff). For us, the time it saves is invaluable. Instead of having to go into the fridge each day to take the ingredients out, assemble everything, put everything away, pack the sandwich in bags, etc...it's so much more efficient to do it assembly line style. Same with dinner. Most of our weekdays literally go from 4am to 9pm non-stop...there are many days when I'm in the house a total of 45 minutes or less in a 24 hour period when I'm actually awake. The rest of the time we're out, or sleeping. It's a necessity to do what we can to save time.

Besides, IMO, a lot of it is perception anyway. Unless you buy bread fresh from a bakery, it's probably a week old...or more...before you made the sandwich. Same with lunch meat and peanut butter. That peanut butter jar wasn't packed this morning, it could literally be a few months old. We keep it all in the fridge, just like it is kept before it's assembled. Except the peanut butter. I think people just get weirded out by having the ingredients touching each other for a few days. If the sandwich is basically dry, it doesn't change any taste from when it was in its own packaging.
it's great that the taste is the same to you and it helps.
Me? I am one of those who finds that once even the meat is touching the bread the bread absorbs moisture and gets gummy and I dislike it. I pack a roll, lunch meat, cheese and veggies in their own compartments and assemble them at lunch time---I don't like what it does to taste and texture to even assemble it an hour or two ahead.

I hired someone to clean up the dog poop in my backyard (I have two big dogs). She comes once a week and I so appreciate not having to clean it up myself.
No top sheets ever: all beds have a fitted sheet and a duvet in a washable duvet cover.
Having duplicates of some things: I have scissors in my office, in the kitchen and in my bedroom; combs in every bathroom; tape in several rooms, etc. I was always running up and down stairs trying to find where I last used the scissors.
This one might sound silly but: I have a little plastic cup in my car door with change in it. Now that I don't carry as much cash, I'd often find myself without any change when I needed to pay for a grocery cart or a parking meter. It's helped so much to have that little cup of change!
We keep a change purse in the glove box for carts, rest stop bathrooms, etc. Not silly at all, IMO

I totally get why you do it, and if it saves you time, money, etc....and everyone enjoys it, awesome! :)

I was just responding to why some people don't like premade sandwiches. It doesn't taste different to you. But to me it does.

That's great that it works for you, but I can't quite figure out why you keep trying to convince others who have different opinions. It's just personal preference.

At one time we did the assembly-line thing on weekends, but that got too stressful! We need to relax on the weekends (if I'm not actually working, which I sometimes am). But I agree that when kids are little, you have to find what works for your family. DH and I often make decisions now from day to day what we want to eat or cook, and one of us will pick things up for that meal on the way home, depending on our schedules and who's near what store, etc. I also sometimes do online ordering and curbside pickup, which I prefer to delivery, as times are much more flexible.

I am envious of all of you who have completely decluttered and have everything organized! I am not there yet. I do like to keep things neat, though, which makes frequent light cleaning easier.

My contribution here will be my camera equipment. I still keep my d-SLR and all that goes along with it, mainly for sports. But for everyday photography, my go-to is my iPhone. The cameras just keep getting better and better. I am using an 8Plus and I just love the camera on it. Lugging my heavy bag around is a pain.

That's great that it works for you, but I can't quite figure out why you keep trying to convince others who have different opinions. It's just personal preference.

I'm not, I don't recall ever saying that anyone else needs to do it. It's called a discussion. YMMV.

Actually, what I think some people are having a problem with is called subtle shading. i.e. "I guess if you slather a sandwich in mayo or oil . . . "

I tend to be as subtle as a bull in a china shop. :teeth: No slight intended, those were the first things that came to mind when I think of something turning bread nasty after a few hours.

I am envious of all of you who have completely decluttered and have everything organized! I am not there yet. I do like to keep things neat, though, which makes frequent light cleaning easier.

we are not entirely decluttered by any stretch of the imagination but i have been working my way through stuff to purge and rid ourselves of it. to this end i recently went through a bunch of old paperwork. i pulled the vital information and have it at the ready in the event of need while anything else that is a rare and largely 'just in case' need (something i know there's no way to get from another source) i put into banker boxes which i labeled w/a category (for quick reference) and then adhered a 2"x 2" sticker of a flame to. my adult kids know that these boxes have nothing they need to keep beyond mine/dh's death-just take it to a shredding facility. we spend WEEKS going through late family members papers to determine if anything was important-i want to save my kids from that.

along the same lines-we have an old metal filing cabinet in the garage. inside are gallon ziplock bags w/the instruction manuals and such for all of our tools, large appliances and equipment. the bags are labeled for quick locating of individual items of need. if we get rid of something, the paperwork goes as well. w/kitchen appliances the similar paperwork is in a zippered binder w/my cookbooks-if anyone gets a hand me down appliance from me they also get the original paperwork.

I tend to be as subtle as a bull in a china shop. :teeth: No slight intended, those were the first things that came to mind when I think of something turning bread nasty after a few hours.

Noted. You have your ideas about what you think of as healthy eating and nutrition, blended with ease and convenience. What you describe doesn't tick the boxes for me. I'll respectfully leave it at that.

OK- so I got remarried a couple years ago and my husband hates the top sheet, as do my two kids (who are products of my first marriage, so no blood relationship there). I thought THEY were weird for not wanting to use a top sheet, but judging by the number of people who liked your post, maybe I am the weird one! What's not to like about the top sheet???
I’m with you. I like the top sheet. Sometimes on hot days, it’s enough.

Darn, all I've got is what you mentioned, well in my case, grocery curb side pickup. They just added delivery and I haven't tried it yet.

There are a lot of other things that have changed in my life recently to make it easier but they aren't things you can just do lol. We moved to a larger house with more storage and a much better laid out kitchen. Brand new appliances, and an attached garage. But it took years and you can't just move whenever you want. The PTB finally added another lane on my commute to work. Actually it's a flex lane but in either case it helps but obviously that was out of my control!

Two years ago I was able to convince my employer to let me work from home a couple of days a week. That is a HUGE help and if anyone has that option, I highly recommend it. It took some time and convincing but I'm glad I didn't give up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter