Character Interactions

I do think it got worse once people starting posting online that if you complained to a CM they would give you “anything” to make you happy, and it just kept getting worse.

Absolutely. Just like getting "dress coded" became a thing to the point Disney had to set a limit (or maybe it was choose from these shirts) because girls were purposely wearing super skimpy or otherwise inappropriate things then happily getting a spirit jersey or other expensive shirt "because they said we could have any shirt we wanted".

For all the good the internet and social media can do, it can also be not great.

I’m sorry, this was never intended to call out people from different countries. I was speaking of people in general.
But from experience, it doesn’t seem to make a difference where people are from, their common sense and manners are often forgotten at home
It wasnt you i was replying to in that quote. I didnt feel like you were calling anyone out.

It should calm down for the TA. UK schools are back in term now. On my cruise it was the last before term started, there were a high number of people who had only been on the UK Staycation cruises or first time cruisers. This was the first time on a full capacity big ship for 90% of the passengers so as a result there was a high number of people wanting to everything. As it was a 4 night cruise, time on board was short, so everything was high demand. Unfortunately there were also a lot of people wanted the biggest bang for their buck and a "I paid big money for this cruise so I'm entitled to do xyz" attitude. Ive seen in other Disney communities UK people who are Gold and Platinum CastAway Club Members saying this cruise and the other European cruises were not what they have experienced before and that there was a very different vibe and atmosphere compared to their previous cruises.
The 2021 Staycations were a nightmare for the CMs. Fights were common, especially over merch. Drunkenness way over what happens normally. Wholesale smoking across the ship, even in stateroom.
This year has been Staycations 2.0. Reportedly similar behaviour but on a larger ship running at full capacity.
I have no doubt the same will occur next year.

If we see you, can we say hi and that we have spoken to you on these boards?
Unless she's out of costume best not to. It'll destroy the illusion for those around. If for no other reason than it's highly unlikely the princesses would be on the internet and message boards.

Even when you personally know the friend it's much better to react just as you would to any others. And let them lead - they may call you by name (I've had one do this but remained in character while doing it) or have some kind of fun interaction, but the last thing you want to do is destroy the illusion for those around you by making it clear you know them as someone else. (And depending on how they handle it, it could have consequences for them as a character performer in the future.)

The 2021 Staycations were a nightmare for the CMs. Fights were common, especially over merch. Drunkenness way over what happens normally. Wholesale smoking across the ship, even in stateroom.
This year has been Staycations 2.0. Reportedly similar behaviour but on a larger ship running at full capacity.
I have no doubt the same will occur next year.
Having been on the 4 Night Spain cruise, I don't think people on here really understand the cheap package holiday culture of UK and Ireland. Im calling my cruise the Chavtasic P&O Does Disney Cruise. Being a chav is more about the culture, the way of dressing, the accent and language, the behaviour, than being poor. These are the people who will be head to toe in designer clothes, but who will live on fast food. These are the people who devalued the Burberry brand back in the early 2000's.

And just to be clear, I'm describing the people I saw I on my cruise 30th August 2023.

I spoke to a family at the Pirate deck party. I asked them did they get off the ship in Bilbao. They said no, that if they wanted to go to Spain they would do a package holiday.

For Americans, imagine a 4 night Caribbean cruise on The Dream filled with the type of people who usually do the 4 night Carnival cruises. Thats what the Southampton Dream cruises have been like.

Please please please ALWAYS be kind to CM!! It is an unwritten rule to respect them! Don’t be the person and reason DCL will have to make it a written rule!! I know many people ask how to get pixie dust… pixie dust is a PRIVILEGE! You have a better chance of receiving the most amazing pixie dust when you are kind, respectful, and interact appropriately with these amazing characters!

If the line is long and you know that you and/or your child(ren) are not very good at waiting in lines or that it will test you and/or your child(ren)’s patience, please do yourself, your child(ren), and the performer a favor and skip this particular meet and greet! Instead, go to guest services and ask for the next time the meet and greet for this particular character will be and ask what time you should arrive to start the queue so as to have a minimal wait. That way you and your child(ren) will not have your patience tried and your child(ren) will be ready to have a bright smile for the picture!

Also, these performers have worked hard and tirelessly to know their characters inside and out. Playing along with their movie like reciting a favorite line gives the performer an opportunity to give you a magical response and interaction!

Remember that these character performers are people too. They deserve to be treated as such! Treat these performers how you would want someone to treat your child if they were that performer.

Meeting a character is a privilege! Cruising is a privilege! Character performers will go out of their way to make everything magical for you, but they can’t do that when they are put in compromising situations.

Be kind. Be courteous. Be respectful.
Sorry, just a few things as I absolutely agree with the CM and please know your role is magical for the young one.

Motherdaughtercruises, You stated:
It is an unwritten rule to respect them! Don’t be the person and reason DCL will have to make it a written rule!!
You can‘t make rules around respect and force this on people. So this statement is confusing. People either demonstrate this and have it or they don’t. I dont’ know how to Write rules forcing respect on people, perhaps you meant something else?
Also,
Cruising is a privilege!
How is this true? Cruising is a business. We each choose to spend our dollars on this particular cruise line. It would be a privilege is one was chosen but the choice is ours, each of us.

The privilege is truly those who choose to spend their hard earned money on this option. There are many this day and age who are struggling to feed families and pay bills, much less afford any type of vacation,

I imagine any rudeness from a passenger follows that passenger; doesn’t matter if it’s a beach vaca, cruise vacation or wherever they may go. Rudeness will follow. There’s a reason people are choosing DCL over other cruise lines (or for that matter - other types of vacations such as all inclusives, etc.).

Last edited:

Sorry, just a few things as I absolutely agree with the CM and please know your role is magical for the young one. You stated:

You can make rules around respect and force this on people. So this statement is confusing. People either demonstrate and have it or they don’t. I dont’ know how to Write rules forcing respect on people, perhaps you meant something else?
Also,

How is this true? Cruising is a business. We each choose to spend our dollars on this particular cruise line. It would be a privilege is one was chosen but the choice is ours, each of us.

The privilege is truly those who choose to spend their hard earned money on this option. There are many this day and age who are struggling to feed families and pay bills, much less afford any type of vacation,

I imagine any rudeness from a passenger follows that passenger; doesn’t matter if it’s a beach vaca, cruise vacation or wherever they may go. Rudeness will follow. There’s a reason people are choosing DCL over other cruise lines (or for that matter - other types of vacations such as all inclusives, etc.).
It is an unwritten rule because one cruise line actually did have to make it a written rule because guests were not respecting crew members. Which leads to why cruising is a privilege. It is a privilege because you can be banned from cruising with a cruise line. So it doesn’t matter how much money you have if they don’t want you on board you won’t be going. Thus, a privilege. A privilege that can be revoked by a cruise line based on your behavior.

Unless she's out of costume best not to. It'll destroy the illusion for those around. If for no other reason than it's highly unlikely the princesses would be on the internet and message boards.

Even when you personally know the friend it's much better to react just as you would to any others. And let them lead - they may call you by name (I've had one do this but remained in character while doing it) or have some kind of fun interaction, but the last thing you want to do is destroy the illusion for those around you by making it clear you know them as someone else. (And depending on how they handle it, it could have consequences for them as a character performer in the future.)
Yes, this is how we acted with the actor who played "Peter Pan," and may have been friends with other fur characters on last Fall's cruise.

We had met the actor's parents at the sail-away party who were rightly gushing, and we knew way too much too quickly. We were happy for the family reunion, but never confronted "Peter Pan" with all that info. Just not appropriate.

Of course we could talk about Smee and Captain Hook, and Wendy and "Disney Dreams" . . .

I had spider-man basically tell me who he was without telling me who is was. Afterwards I found out, but won’t say who since person is going back. Before I knew it was him. I thought it was my favorite interaction of the tripIMG_4840.jpeg
IMG_4841.jpeg
IMG_4842.jpeg

It is an unwritten rule because one cruise line actually did have to make it a written rule because guests were not respecting crew members. Which leads to why cruising is a privilege. It is a privilege because you can be banned from cruising with a cruise line. So it doesn’t matter how much money you have if they don’t want you on board you won’t be going. Thus, a privilege. A privilege that can be revoked by a cruise line based on your behavior.
Not everyone cruises across the various companies nor follow all the ever changing policies that occur. Of course you can get banned. One can get banned from anywhere but they’ll just move along to another option. So….just saying.

At the end of the day, if a person gets banned they likely deserve it and that’s on them. Good riddance. But this isn’t about “banning’. This is about rude and likely despicable behavior. If you think cruising is a privilege, then 98% of things in life are. You would have to then separate necessities in life vs luxuries now wouldn’t you. So, THAT could be a long list.

The bad behaviour has been an ongoing thing over the Summer it seems. i ve had friends on pretty much each European itinerary since mid July and they all come back with the same stories: stolen stuff, screaming, shouting, cutting in front, drunk behaviour, even fighting… makes me so scared for my TA next week
I just got off the Dream yesterday (Northern Europe and Norwegian Fjords) and I didn't notice any of this bad behavior (except a couple of smokers smoking right in front of no smoking signs).

I did notice that the character lines were LONG! We only got pictures with a couple of characters because the lines were so much longer than I'm used to. I didn't notice any bad behavior or line cutting though.

We also noticed a lot more noisy kids in the theatre, but I think that was because there were a lot of really little kids on the ship. They did say there were only 600 kids on our cruise, which is much less than the rest of the cruises over the summer.

There were also a lot of 1st time cruisers.

The TA shouldn't be a problem because there is just so much more time to do everything. I know our TA was that way. There just wasn't a big rush for anything because there were so many more days to do things.

If we see you, can we say hi and that we have spoken to you on these boards?
Please don’t while I am on set and in character. This has already happened a few times. No character has any idea about the internet or DISboards or who Mags is. It makes it difficult and uncomfortable if you try and get my character to admit they know me, and I will not break character and say yes. Our Managers are always watching and I will not risk my job so please don’t put me in that position.
Instead, send me a DM and tell me about your time with the characters. I also love seeing pics you have taken 💙

Not everyone cruises across the various companies nor follow all the ever changing policies that occur. Of course you can get banned. One can get banned from anywhere but they’ll just move along to another option. So….just saying.

At the end of the day, if a person gets banned they likely deserve it and that’s on them. Good riddance. But this isn’t about “banning’. This is about rude and likely despicable behavior. If you think cruising is a privilege, then 98% of things in life are. You would have to then separate necessities in life vs luxuries now wouldn’t you. So, THAT could be a long list.
I’m not sure what you felt or think you accomplished by saying this…? I’m actually confused by this whole interaction. But anywho my point still stands. Happy sailing!

Last edited:
I wanted to bring up a sensitive topic… behavior during character meet and greets.
As a character performer, I have had some not so nice interactions with Guests recently.
I understand that you have paid a lot of money and have waited a long time to see a character, but please please please treat them with respect!!
Here are my suggestions for having a magical interaction with your favorite character:
-talk about things you have seen and done around the ship/CC.
-talk about the character and their movie.
-the (face) character will keep the conversation going. You never know what will come out of this if you engage enthusiastically!
-think about the character you are meeting. Is there something special you could do with them? (Eg waltzing with Cinderella).
-the character is always happy to sign autographs. Please have an appropriate pen or marker ready.

-please do not touch the character inappropriately. Ever. Yes this has actually happened.
-please do not speak harshly to the character. It is not their fault the line was long or your children were restless or did not smile etc.
-please do not ask questions that a character will not be able to answer. Cinderella does not know Harry Potter or what time the ship will arrive in port.
-please do not try and trick a performer into breaking character. Performers are very well trained and it would take a lot for this to happen. Please just don’t go there.

As a character performer, I LOVE portraying beloved Disney characters, meeting Guests and seeing the magic and joy that these interactions bring. Please help us to help you have a wonderful, successful and magical character interaction 💙

Please do not be afraid to ask me any questions you have regarding character interactions.

*please note all views are my own and are based on my own personal experiences*
We just got off the Dream and had great interactions with the Princess at the Meet and Greet. We talked about Beignets with Tiana (since we were heading to breakfast right after pictures), Rapunzel said Flynn was challenging Pascal to a game of chess and asked who we thought would win (Pascal, of course), Cinderella admired my daughter's rainbow Mickey ears and wondered if she should have the Fairy Godmother make her a rainbow dress (we said of course she should), and Belle didn't say much, but was friendly of course. They all put my daughter in a fabulous mood because she hates to get up, but their interactions made her super happy.

My daughter did suggest that there should be a prince meet and greet too. That would be fun!

I just got off the Dream yesterday (Northern Europe and Norwegian Fjords) and I didn't notice any of this bad behavior (except a couple of smokers smoking right in front of no smoking signs).

I did notice that the character lines were LONG! We only got pictures with a couple of characters because the lines were so much longer than I'm used to. I didn't notice any bad behavior or line cutting though.

We also noticed a lot more noisy kids in the theatre, but I think that was because there were a lot of really little kids on the ship. They did say there were only 600 kids on our cruise, which is much less than the rest of the cruises over the summer.

There were also a lot of 1st time cruisers.

The TA shouldn't be a problem because there is just so much more time to do everything. I know our TA was that way. There just wasn't a big rush for anything because there were so many more days to do things.
Sounds reassuring and teah all my precious TAs were go with the flow but my other European ones were never as bad as from what I heard about this Summer… we ll see on Sunday…

It’s quite fun when people you know come to see you! This pic is when my little niece met Cinderella. She didn’t know I was friends with Cinderella but I think she recognized my voice and was a little confused!! CE9B3143-A49D-4E9F-AA5F-B7B896D9F286.jpeg

It’s quite fun when people you know come to see you! This pic is when my little niece met Cinderella. She didn’t know I was friends with Cinderella but I think she recognized my voice and was a little confused!! View attachment 792931
I wasn't saying don't go see her. Just don't say "I know you from the DisBoards!" Because Cindy isn't ON the DisBoards - and probably doesn't even know what the internet is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter