Character Interactions

Belle didn't say much, but was friendly of course.
I typically lead with "What are you reading these days?" with Belle and it always leads to conversation.

In fact, just before the live action movie came out (about a month before) her answer was "Romeo and Juliet" - so when I saw the live action movie and the plot Belle described was Romeo and Juliet my jaw dropped! Not only was the character bible already updated, her friend had already learned it well enough to bring it into the conversation.

I typically lead with "What are you reading these days?" with Belle and it always leads to conversation.

In fact, just before the live action movie came out (about a month before) her answer was "Romeo and Juliet" - so when I saw the live action movie and the plot Belle described was Romeo and Juliet my jaw dropped! Not only was the character bible already updated, her friend had already learned it well enough to bring it into the conversation.
We are definitely experts in our stories!

So if we meet Tiana, we can ask about her company and seeking ingredients in the Louisiana salt mines? Or does that need to wait until the new ride opens?
They may have already updated the character bible - but it may be too far out. Like I referenced above, Belle's had been updated at least a month before the live action movie, but I don't know how far out it was or if the friends were required to know the new info prior to the movie coming out. So I might wait.

You could ask her about her restaurant and if she has any place she gets her secret ingredients. That way IF she knows the ride story already SHE can take that lead, and if not, she can ad lib something and it doesn't look or make her feel awkward.

Another addition to the original post. Please be aware that some characters have extremely limited visibility. They may not see a young child standing beside them and can’t turn their head to look behind them.
If your child is going to approach them, particularly when it is unexpected for the character such as on a stroll, have the child approach from the front to avoid a potentially upsetting situation for all involved

Hey Mags, I have a few questions on the subject of gifts.

I've been meeting characters for years and the idea of giving a gift has never really occurred to me because... the character is busy working. They don't have time to accept letters, hand made crafts or even toys for that matter. And yet, I recently watched a former CM vlogger who said they loved getting things as a character, and have saved everything they got from years of working. Hearing this gave me the idea of perhaps I should treat my favorite character(s) to something small but nice.

So, what is exactly is the etiquette for gifts?
Can you actually accept them? Do you even want them? If so, is it too cliche to give, say, Pluto something Pluto related?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

I've been meeting characters for years and the idea of giving a gift has never really occurred to me because... the character is busy working. They don't have time to accept letters, hand made crafts or even toys for that matter. And yet, I recently watched a former CM vlogger who said they loved getting things as a character, and have saved everything they got from years of working. Hearing this gave me the idea of perhaps I should treat my favorite character(s) to something small but nice.

Can you actually accept them? Do you even want them? If so, is it too cliche to give, say, Pluto something Pluto related?

On the cruise I do similar to CM Compliments in the parks. If I see some amazing CM action or behavior or if I experience something amazing on the cruise, I write a Pixie Dust note and attach it to a gift. I give as much info as possible, Character or CM name, location, day, time details about what I saw or experienced and then hand it to guest services. I always have a notepad and pen in my bag. I buy sharing bags chocolates and candy for Pixie Dust gifts before my cruise.

Belle didn't say much, but was friendly of course.
I once was wearing a Gaston shirt when meeting Belle in Epcot, it said: 'Run like Gaston has just proposed to you', I got it for one of the Disney marathon events.

And Belle had 0 response to it. She saw my shirt, her expression went totally blank and then replied with "oh that's nice, let's take a picture". I don't remember what I expected, but this was definitely not it :p so yes, not very talkative, but friendly.

I once was wearing a Gaston shirt when meeting Belle in Epcot, it said: 'Run like Gaston has just proposed to you', I got it for one of the Disney marathon events.

And Belle had 0 response to it. She saw my shirt, her expression went totally blank and then replied with "oh that's nice, let's take a picture". I don't remember what I expected, but this was definitely not it :p so yes, not very talkative, but friendly.
Maybe they just weren’t have a great day?

Maybe they just weren’t have a great day?
Probably. Interesting thought. Can a character actor have an off-day while on stage?

Of course they are humans and not robots. You can never give 100% every moment of the day, that's not feasible for anyone. However, if a guest gets a lesser experience than possible, then what?

Just to clarify, it wasn't a bad character experience, it was just very bland. In my memories of that trip it stands out because of its blandness. The actress could have been performing any character with this sentence.

I have received a number of gifts over the years, typically drawings and letters from people. I have also received some cute little figurines, pins, a coffee mug, handmade bracelets (made by kids), collectors cards, small plushies etc. When I spent a lot of time with Anna, I got A LOT of chocolate!! I have kept most things I have received. All of them depict/relate to whichever character I was hanging out with at the time. I share a cabin with Belle’s friend and we have artwork hanging from everywhere!!!
That being said, there is no need to give any gifts at all! I have said previously that writing a nice comment on your comment card is gift enough ☺️

Last edited:

Oh wow. A shirt that relates to my character is usually a huge talking point for me!! I’m sorry it didn’t go as expected

Probably. Interesting thought. Can a character actor have an off-day while on stage?

Of course they are humans and not robots. You can never give 100% every moment of the day, that's not feasible for anyone. However, if a guest gets a lesser experience than possible, then what?

Just to clarify, it wasn't a bad character experience, it was just very bland. In my memories of that trip it stands out because of its blandness. The actress could have been performing any character with this sentence.
Of course character performers can have an off day. Everyone does. And of course you will always get performers who love their role and will be more enthusiastic and animated than others. I myself have watched YouTube videos of some of my character friends and have thought “what on Earth are they doing/saying?”
If a Guest feels that they don’t have a great experience, they usually complain. Which is why sharing positive comments about characters you meet goes a long way in helping Management determine if the performer is indeed having an off day or it is becoming the norm for them

That's basically what she said to us. She said let's take a portrait. I was a little disappointed because Belle is one of my favorite characters and my daughter and I were going to ask her some questions about the Beast and favorite books. She just quickly went to taking a portrait though so we didn't get an opportunity to say anything. She wasn't unfriendly, just quick to get the picture and move on. I think it stood out more because she was the 4th princess and we had just had some fun interactions with the other 3.

That's basically what she said to us. She said let's take a portrait. I was a little disappointed because Belle is one of my favorite characters and my daughter and I were going to ask her some questions about the Beast and favorite books. She just quickly went to taking a portrait though so we didn't get an opportunity to say anything. She wasn't unfriendly, just quick to get the picture and move on. I think it stood out more because she was the 4th princess and we had just had some fun interactions with the other 3.
I get that! I hate meets like that cause basically its a photo not a meet. Im also not a fan of princesses that always ask you the same question each meet during the same cruise

I get that! I hate meets like that cause basically its a photo not a meet. Im also not a fan of princesses that always ask you the same question each meet during the same cruise
Characters are not supposed to just go straight to a photo. The whole point is to have an interaction with the Guest.
Lol what kind of questions? Princesses are somewhat limited in what they can say

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter