cheapest or weirdest thing you have ever seen in disney restaurant or food court.

Can't we just have a good time and laugh at ourselves? We all do things other people think are silly! Nobody is trying to be elitist or suggest some people don't belong at Disney. If you have to sacrifice your health (i.e. eating a warm egg salad sandwich), maybe you should wait until you have more sense--or can afford ham.
My comment was not in reaction to the stories people were telling (some of which are amusing in a 'people-are-funny' kind of way). It was in direct reaction to the statements made by ro80 and sotoalf that were not anecdotes:
"If you have to count every little penny, they WDW is not the place to go."
Bingo! That's the problem. If you can't afford to go, you shouldn't. Common sense.
Those are two judgemental statements about who should or shouldn't go to WDW. I'm having a hard time understanding how anybody could interpret them another way.

My point was that eating in WDW is expensive, and there are families that must be frugal to be able to afford the trip. The point is to visit the happiest place on Earth. Just because they're not eating the same way or in the same places that others are eating doesn't mean they shouldn't have come to WDW.

Don't worry -- I'll drop the subject now. I'm not trying to derail the thread.

David

Can't we just have a good time and laugh at ourselves? We all do things other people think are silly! Nobody is trying to be elitist or suggest some people don't belong at Disney. If you have to sacrifice your health (i.e. eating a warm egg salad sandwich), maybe you should wait until you have more sense--or can afford ham.

**I am not trying to be a pork-elitist. I am merely making a pathetic attempt at humor to lighten the mood.

But we're not laughing at ourselves --we're laughing at others. Which in fine, but it's odd that people will get morally outraged at the thought of people helping themselves to jelly packets or eating a packed lunch on a bench meant for restaurant customers, but its okay to eavesdrop on other's conversations, make wild judgments about them, laugh about them behind their back etc. :confused3

As for health concerns, check out the thread about buffets here. Many people think you are endangering your health by eating at Chef Mickey's. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1483026

One situation I was on a boat coming from WL just talking with my mom, making plans for the day, and this woman was just staring a hole right into me. I looked at her and we basically had a staring contest, she only looked away when I refused to. Geez! Get a life and engage in some conversation with your husband. Or look at the pretty bird over there. Just quit staring! It's impolite!

I'm a southerner, Georgia to be exact. I've heard that Europeans will stare like that.

Keep this one going. It's fun! :rotfl: :laughing:

I agree with previous poster - Let's keep the thread going. I don't think this is making moral judgements on anyone - just sharing funny stories. DIS is the place for sharing the Disney experience, all aspects.

I agree with previous poster - Let's keep the thread going. I don't think this is making moral judgements on anyone - just sharing funny stories. DIS is the place for sharing the Disney experience, all aspects.

You're right. Last time I was at WDW I saw a family eat a packed lunch.:rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

I'm really shocked that there are so many overly sensitive people on this thread.
Everyone's weird in their own ways--I was not offended by that at all. And cheap? Eh, who cares if someone implies that someone else is "cheap"?
I don't think one person made fun of someone who was sharing food--about the Dole Whip--I believe it was the father's comment, "that hit the spot!" that was more amusing to the poster than anything else.
Relax people!
im not so sure sensitivity has anything to do with it. i have found over the years here that some aggravate a thread just to aggravate a thread.

I have been enjoying reading this thread so much - the hot dog people are my favorite. I will share what we did last year on our trip...

So, it's the last day and we are getting ready to leave Pop and I suggested to my husband that, instead of eating at the Food Court, we use our last two CS credits and get sandwiches to eat while we are waiting at the airport ( we would be waiting a few hours). He goes to check us out and we have about 15 minutes till we have to be outside for the bus to take us back to the airport.

I look over all the sandwich selections and finally decide on the ones we want. I go to check out and the CM tells me I have ANOTHER CS credit. OK, so I hurry back to get another selection. Then, as I try to check out again, I have 3 snack credits!!! I am rushing around, trying to use these up and I only have a couple minutes left.

We end up at Olando airport with a grocery bag full - two HUGE sandwiches, a cheese plate, a family size bag of BBQ potato chips, a piece of tie-dye cheese cake, two bottled waters and a bag of goofy Make your own burger candies! We spread out a virtual buffet and chowed down at the airport.

I guess you could argue it was "cheap", but I didn't want to waste my credits. BTW, while we were on the bus, a family from Canada said they had 10 LEFTOVER meal credits!!!
it would be sinfull to leave any DDP credits unused. we always end up with a bag full of rice crispie treats and apples and such for the planeride home.

I'm sorry, but this statement is absolutely ridiculous (and elitist). They can afford to go, if they're frugal with their meals. Food is one of the most expensive parts of any vacation away from home, especially at WDW.

David
aaahhhh it took a little longer for the dreaded elitist accusation than usual.:)

But we're not laughing at ourselves --we're laughing at others. Which in fine, but it's odd that people will get morally outraged at the thought of people helping themselves to jelly packets or eating a packed lunch on a bench meant for restaurant customers, but its okay to eavesdrop on other's conversations, make wild judgments about them, laugh about them behind their back etc.[/url]

I agree with you. Nothing gets me more irritated in life than those that think they are high and mighty and deserve to be at Disney because they can afford to be there. Put yourselves in some others shoes, and think that it's great that they saved enough to get themselves into the park. We are from Pittsburgh. Our local amusement park is great to go and snack at, but one of the best things is being able to go there and have a picnic.

I plan on taking koolaid mixes and my own bottled water into the park. One, because I'm self-professed cheap :lmao:, but two because I have a problem with my stomach and I know that I can drink room temperature koolaid. Weird, maybe, but it's better than me spending the day in the florida heat not being able to drink cold beverages.

Also, we are having a informal picnic at one of the quiet pools there. I ordered some fried chicken and salads to be delivered to the resort from Walmart. There are 35 of us going, and thought a little unstructured time at the pool could be a nice bonding time to celebrate my grandparents anniversary. We will be buying our own paper plates and utensils, though. I wouldn't expect Disney to provide them if we aren't buying there food.

If you see us, point and laugh. The pool party will be the kids best memory though, because they treasure the family playtime more than the how much can we spend in the parks time.

Disney is about kids, and if the kids are at the right age, but the parents can only afford to take them if they cut costs on the food, I say go ahead split a sundae or bring in your lunch.

You're right. Last time I was at WDW I saw a family eat a packed lunch.:rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

When we were little, my granparents would take us to Disney. My grandmother would pack sandwiches, etc. She would get up every morning on the drive down, and pack the sandwiches. She would cook us breakfast before we went to the parks, and get our sandwiches ready. We rarely went out to eat on our vacation. We would rent a condo, and she would cook.

Now, my grandparents are worth a mint. Disney was part of a month long trip we would spend in Florida. Do I remember ever feeling like I wanted on that trip. No. But man, those were the best vacations in my life. A week in Disney followed by three weeks on the Gulf Coast. Ah, and a life long love of Jimmy Buffett is born....

That is just the way my grandmother was. She was offended if I wanted spagetti-os or kraft mac and cheese, because she loved to cook for us. She liked knowing what we were eating. It wasn't a trip with her if we didn't have a cooler loaded down with everything, including individual wrapped sandwiches made to each of our liking.

It's starting to sound like she may have spoiled us. I do miss that woman. But cheap is not a word I would ever use to describe her.

aaahhhh it took a little longer for the dreaded elitist accusation than usual.:)

Well, it is quite a stretch to say it elitist to make fun of people who pack a lunch or share a snack at WDW.

When we were little, my granparents would take us to Disney. My grandmother would pack sandwiches, etc. She would get up every morning on the drive down, and pack the sandwiches. She would cook us breakfast before we went to the parks, and get our sandwiches ready. We rarely went out to eat on our vacation. We would rent a condo, and she would cook.

Now, my grandparents are worth a mint. Disney was part of a month long trip we would spend in Florida. Do I remember ever feeling like I wanted on that trip. No. But man, those were the best vacations in my life. A week in Disney followed by three weeks on the Gulf Coast. Ah, and a life long love of Jimmy Buffett is born....

That is just the way my grandmother was. She was offended if I wanted spagetti-os or kraft mac and cheese, because she loved to cook for us. She liked knowing what we were eating. It wasn't a trip with her if we didn't have a cooler loaded down with everything, including individual wrapped sandwiches made to each of our liking.

It's starting to sound like she may have spoiled us. I do miss that woman. But cheap is not a word I would ever use to describe her.

MY family of 8 camped at Fort Wilderness for a week when I was a kid. My Dad asked me if I remembered how hot it was in the camper and how we ate fried spam for several meals. All I remember is having the time of my life at WDW. It's not my idea of a vacation now, but back then...

Well, it is quite a stretch to say it elitist to make fun of people who pack a lunch or share a snack at WDW.
What is it about what I wrote that is so difficult for some readers to understand? I never said the stories/anecdotes were elitist. I said the specific comments made by ro80 and sotoalf were elitist. Go back, re-read what they said and my response, and make sure you understand it before you respond, please.

David

All I remember is having the time of my life at WDW. It's not my idea of a vacation now, but back then...

Exactly. It seems that a lot of people are losing sight that Disney is geared to kids, and most parents would do anything to be able to get there kids there even once. Look at what they are forking over just to get into the parks, but add in souviners, snacks, full sit down meals.

Come on. Pay attention to your own kids while your on vacation so they don't grow up to be so judgemental. Live your life how you need to, and let everyone else live they way they do.

8 in a camper. Wow.:hug:

I'm not okay with knowing people may be scrutinizing every bite I take and listening in to my family's conversation while eating, and frankly I'm surprised other people think that is just fine.

I think it is human nature to watch others espcially when you are packed like sardines. I don't think people actually scrutinize others. We don't like to eavesdrop on others either but at the same time sometimes it is impossible not to overhear the table that is .5 foot fom you.[/QUOTE]

True. I did my first solo trip in May '05. I had a great time and had planned to try to spread a little pixie dust before I even left home. One day I was standing in line to get a Dole Whip float, when I overheard the dad behind me telling his two kids that all they could get was a dole whip in a cup, because they couldn't afford the float. The little boy was really upset saying he really wanted a dole whip float and asking if they couldn't cut down somewhere else. The dad had to tell him no. When I finally got to order, I ordered five Dole whip floats and whispered to the CM to give four to the family behind me. As I was walking away I heard the little boy ask, "why did she do that dad?" and the dad said he didn't know. I started to just keep walking, but instead turned back, winked, smiled, and said 'because my grandaughter is your age and loves dole whip floats, but couldn't come with me this trip. I'm missing her, so do me a big favor and eat it for her." I then laughed and left, with the dad looking at me in a puzzled way. I honestly didn't mean to eavesdrop, but if I hadn't overheard them I wouldn't have gotten to spread a little bit of pixie dust that day. It made me feel good and I hope that family too.

I would hope though that we would never watch people just to make fun of them. We all do things that others may consider strange.

what a sweet thing to do Aubriee. Unsolicited kindness is the nicest thing anyone could do, sure hope they paid it forward in some way.

Also, we are having a informal picnic at one of the quiet pools there. I ordered some fried chicken and salads to be delivered to the resort from Walmart.

[off topic!]
tell me more about having food delivered from walmart... can you order it in advance? online? is there a menu somewhere? info would be appreciated as we're planning to do a "pool party" at our resort w/our grand gathering too, but we were figuring we'd get disney pizza!

What is it about what I wrote that is so difficult for some readers to understand? I never said the stories/anecdotes were elitist. I said the specific comments made by ro80 and sotoalf were elitist. Go back, re-read what they said and my response, and make sure you understand it before you respond, please.

David

I was responding to dalto1 taking a dig at someone daring to use the word elitist. Personally, I agree with you that the comment about not being able to afford WDW was elitist.

I just placed the order, and I'm having the lady from wegoshop pick it up. I had a heck of a time ordering from their deli, but if you ask to talk to the bakery, they will get someone from the deli for you (found out the deli doesn't have a phone). I think it is working out to be $3/person instead of the 30-40 it would be for a formal disney event that the kids would have to sit through.

We did the Luau once, which was great, but everything on this vacation is already so planned out, why not have one night of freedom? We did a pizza party last time, but I figured if I could logistically figure it out, why not plan a bit of a picnic. I have fried chicken, a couple of salads, dinner rolls and a 1/2 sheet cake set to be delivered. Plus, a night of swimming and family fun. Priceless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter