China adventure

yes i know we need a passport and a visa...but there are different kinds of visa...single entry good 3 months, double entry good 6 months, multientry gooe 6 or 12 months....

I think the unlimited one is what is recommended on the ABD site link.

Yes, I think it will be hot - guess will have to have one of the hotels do laundry. 44# is not very much and I can't stand sweaty, moldy clothes in my luggage:faint:

Hi Y'all!
Hot does not begin to describe the heat possibilities for China in July. Both of our trips have been in July, and the heat and humidity are both very high. My DH wears glasses and every time he would leave an air-conditioned building his glasses would fog up. I guess in an effort to combat the heat they turn the air conditioning up really high inside. So you end up with two extremes.

I know you have probably already handled this, but if anyone is traveling with small children, it might be important to have a discussion about poverty. I am a girl from the comfortable suburbs and I know that the poverty level struck me hard in China. We saw hard-working people living in what some Americans would consider impossible situations. We saw people washing clothes in the river, eating some interesting things, and living in places that looked like they should be quarantined. The difficult thing for me was that several of people living that way are children. It is a case of extremes. We will see extreme wealth and extreme poverty. The highest level of poverty was in rurual areas. I know you have probably considered this topic, and I don't mean to be preachy. I just wanted to mention it.

we were there in early June 2008 and the heat/humidity was really something in Guilin and Hong Kong.

Regarding poverty and haggling, just remember that one yuan is less than .25USD.

I just got back from Houston with our Visas a couple of hours ago. Woohoo! We have everything we need to go on our great adventure!

Hope you get your Visas soon, smores!

My ABD package arrived Friday when I was on my way out of town! There were 2 nice backpacks, 2 luggage handle covers (in place of luggage tags), a cute countdown calendar and a personalized brochure with itinerary, packing tips, etc. Please let me know if I can answer any specific questions about info in the brochure.

are the packing tips something you can post....i'm having trouble trying to decide what i should bring....wondering if anyone know how expensive laundry will be (someone who went to ireland said $80 for just a few items)....

Here are the pages from the booklet:

ABDChinapkg001.jpg

ABDChinapkg002.jpg

got my Visa...called numbers in to disney! they said we are ready to go! can not wait....

My family went on the China Adventure last June. We were told by disney that short were not ok to wear. As it turned out shorts were just fine. Pack what ever you are most comfortable in. I was happy with my capris. As for laundry it either done in the hotel or the guides took those on free time to the local shop. We opted for the hotel. It was fairly cheap and same day service. And YES TV does lie. There is no ancient Chinese secert!

pandafan...what were tempertures like...day? night? hotels? i get cold very easily so was planning on bringing a jacket even though i suspect it will be hot during the day.....how much walking do you think you did in an average day? maybe a couple miles or more like 5-10 miles? how was the food? i hear they have kid friendly food choices....my family doesnt much care for sea food--we will try it but prefer landluber options....how many converters did you bring (charge camera, laptop,phones etc) thanks for the help planning.

I'm way interested in the sea food question too. Not that most of us don't like sea food... in fact my DS and I are looking forward to that part of it a lot... but DD is SEVERELY allergic to shell fish and mollusks and mildly allergic to fin fish (bony fish).

We are even carrying a paper in traditional chinese that says severely allergic to sea food... just to be on the safe side (and 4 epipens... ).

figment

We were on the ABD China trip last year in June. The weather for the most part was great (not too hot or too cold). It only rained in Hong Kong. We never had to put on a jacket or sweater. Our daily walking was not long at all except for climbing the Great Wall. It was not too long, just straight uphill.:scared1: Even our personal ventures out during free times were not long walks. The taxis were so cheap that we enjoyed the adventures of traveling throughout the cities in the taxis. Just remember to always take your hotel card with you to show the driver your home location when heading back to the hotel.

The food was mostly meat for our travel group. Maybe because one of our traveling members in the group was very allergic to seafood, Disney made sure that the meals did not include seafood. On free time adventures, you were free to eat and order what ever you wanted. Overall, we had many eating experiences that bring back a lot of great memories for us. The breakfast meals at the hotels had many different food selections. There were always Western food choices at breakfast time.

Good luck with your trip and if Daisy is one of your guides, please say hello for the family in Georgia. She is a great guide.

How I envy those of you going to China with Disney! I just got back from China and Hong Kong (4/9 through 4/23/2009) on a Return Trip to China provided by our adoption agency. Twelve families from the Boston area returned to China with our daughters, aged between 8 and 12, for a heritage tour. The highlights of a 2 week trip were the Hutong walking tour in Beijing - pedicab rides, lunch with a local family, visit to an elementary classroom. Just a terrific day for the kids.

Then we went to Xi'an to visit the terra cotta warriors. The warriors were great and so was the Tang Dynasty Dinner show.

Next, my 9 1/2 year old daughter and I visited her orphanage and smaller city (a town of 68,000 people). Then to Guangzhou to stay at the White Swan Hotel again, a great visit to the safari zoo in the Panyu district of Guangzhou and an afternoon fast ferry into the Hong Kong Harbor. And, yes, then 4 nights at Hong Kong Disneyland. Fabulous.

Having been in China in July on my first trip, I can tell you that it will be HOT, HOT, HOT! The south of China will redefine HOT for you, no matter where you live in the States. For this two week trip in April, I took 9 tee tops and 6 capris. I took a pair of sneakers and Keen sandals. I took a carry-on bag and I checked one bag for the two of us. If you are in Guangzhou, do laundry in any one of the shops located on Shamian Island outside the White Swan hotel for a fraction of the cost of a western hotel's laundry services. But if that isn't possible, just do laundry at the hotel.

Food Rule #1. Do not eat anything that is not pealed or cooked. Seriously. Do not drink any water that is not boiled. To brush your teeth, take water from the tap, boiled it in the kettle in your hotel room, pour the boiled water to cool in the glasses in the bathroom and brush your teeth with that.

Be sure to visit a travel clinic before you to and get a prescription for Cipro or a Z-pack to take with you as well. And take immodium with you just in case. Carry a bottle of water with you at all times in the summer. At meals, you will be offered Coke, Sprite, beer and bottled water most likely.

Have a great trip and let me know if you want more information about Hong Kong Disneyland.

Cheers,

JeanBean

Hi 2GirlsMama!

We too are on the June 28-July 10 trip, but we added 2 days in Hong Kong on the tail end. Looking forward to meeting you!

This will be my first trip to China, but have had many friends go there before (but not with ABD). Besides the heat, we've been warned to bring bug spray. I appreciate all the tips I've read so far. Like many others, I tend to overpack. I also take 1,000s of photos! Keep the travel tips coming!

I replied on the other thread before reading this one. I am so glad you joined our discussions.

We got a message from our travel agent that she got our ABD box yesterday. We have to make arrangements to pick it up.

I know "Briar Rose" & her DD are on the trip right before our trip, so hopefully she will share some tips while she is in China.

I can't believe how fast the trip is approaching.

I purchased a small 8 1/2 inch notebook computer to take on the trip. I hope to be able to post every day with what we have done and maybe post a few pictures. I can't believe how fast the trip is approaching! I am a little sad too because that means my baby will have graduated from high school!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter