Christmas 2017

I found the best prices after Christmas. I got a 9 ft tree that looks so real (I didn’t even want to decorate it) for like $150. It was originally over $600. We have a 2 story foyer that is looks beautiful in.

Thats a great deal! I can't wait til after Christmas of course, so I will have to be on the hunt for a tree now. But good tip for anyone else who can wait!

It and other stock cards were hanging with the gift cards at Target. It’s for $50 + $6.95 activation fee. On the back it tells you to go online and provide your info and card number. I googled it for you, this is it:
https://stockpilegifts.com/products/gift-card-for-disney-stock
If you go up to the menu it explains how it works.

Also, in a previous post you mentioned buying a framed certificate of Disney stock. Do you know where you buy that from? I am unfamiliar with buying stocks, so I want to make sure its legit.

Also, in a previous post you mentioned buying a framed certificate of Disney stock. Do you know where you buy that from? I am unfamiliar with buying stocks, so I want to make sure its legit.
You can buy it through the Disney Store. You have to have the stock first. Or you could. I can’t seem to find it now. I hate this new shopDisney set up.

We've always traveled for Christmas, but always stayed at either my brother's or my parent's house, who would have a tree and lots of other decorations.

But now that both of my parents have passed away, we are still traveling but staying in a hotel this year (other siblings have claimed the available space at my brother's and honestly, I'm good not being with that much family 24 hours a day!). I promised DD we would decorate the room a bit to make it more Christmas-y, so I got this tree from Kohl's last week to bring with us:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2334886/3-ft-pre-lit-led-snowy-concolor-fir-christmas-tree-in-burlap.jsp?skuId=3-ft. Pre-Lit LED Snowy Concolor Fir Christmas Tree in Burlap&search=2334886&submit-search=web-recentsearch

I ended up only paying $21+tax when I stacked the sale price at the time, Kohl's 10 off 50 in home code, Discover 10 off 30 code and Kohl's 30% Chargeholders code. I'm really happy I pulled the trigger early and got it - it's a pretty nice tree, a lot better than anything else I could get in that price range! A bit bigger than I expected but I can still get the box into a duffle-sized suitcase (yay free bag check with credit card!). I'll store it at my brother's for use in future years.

I want to get a few other decorations that I can also put up without destroying hotel property :santa: I'm looking at sticking with a natural theme to go with the tree - I have a burlap "Be Merry" banner in my cart on Amazon that I'll probably get, although I may just make one myself copying the design. Then I still need to find a few more things that are relatively flat and easy to pack!
How about rolls of fabric ribbon? You could even string it on the tree. Maybe stockings? Maybe Santa could fill your stockings at the hotel? Window clings are flat and can go on mirrors as well as windows. What about take Christmas or winter themed flannel pillowcases?

I bought my husband's framed Disney stock certificate one year thru the link in mousesavers newsletter. I didn't have to buy stock first, you just ordered it all at once. It was a great gift!

Thats a great deal! I can't wait til after Christmas of course, so I will have to be on the hunt for a tree now. But good tip for anyone else who can wait!
We bought our tree at Michaels craft store years ago. It's gorgeous and I had my eye on it for a while. I thought it was way out of our price range at the time. I asked the manager if he thought they'd put them on sale and when. Then I asked what they were doing with the display model. He said they'd have to take them down. I made an offer to buy the display model ( discounted) and he accepted.he told me what day to come pick it up and that was that. I love that tree.....

I made an offer to buy the display model ( discounted) and he accepted.he told me what day to come pick it up and that was that. I love that tree.....

this is awesome! It definitely never hurts to ask! We did the same thing with our tree from Big Lots in 2013. I had my heart set on a white tree, but being two poor college kids at the time living on minimum wage there was no way DH and I could have afforded it back in the day when we were dating. Ended up settling for a teeny tiny tree in our school colors. The day after Christmas that year we went out and got a beautiful white tree display model and they gave me 20% extra off the already discounted after Christmas price since it was the display. We love it.

My daughter's school had an event at Barnes and Noble this week and the kids were interested in a few of the books ("The Book with no Pictures" was one my son wanted) so now I have a few more ideas. I may have Santa bring those!

I'm getting excited for the sales coming up, especially Kohl's veterans day sale if it's the same as last year!

Can you tell me more about the disney stock you bought? Where did you buy it? How much was it? This could be an awesome gift idea for my DD, but I am clueless about it. TIA! :)
you can also look at all of the stocks they offer on their website. google stockpile. Last year I got Disney for my DD21 Google for my DS18 and Tesla for my DH. And I got them each a gift card to choose their own as well. They all loved it. The kids are into investing and this is a fun way to learn about the stock market. My DD is actually setting up an IRA this year! Her idea not mine. She has just learned the magic of compounding interest! :)

How about rolls of fabric ribbon? You could even string it on the tree. Maybe stockings? Maybe Santa could fill your stockings at the hotel? Window clings are flat and can go on mirrors as well as windows. What about take Christmas or winter themed flannel pillowcases?

Great minds think alike! I have a roll of really nice, tapestry-type ribbon that I got at an after-Christmas clearance many years ago that I've never found a use for. But it seems to fit well with the type of decorating I have in mind so I am trying to figure out how to use it. I was thinking of wrapping a straw wreath or wire wreath frame with burlap ribbon, then using the tapestry ribbon for a bow on it, but that might be a bit much to pack. So I'm still noodling that.

While we open under-the-tree-gifts before we leave, Santa Mom does fill DDs stocking for Christmas Day, so that will definitely be coming with us and will become part of the decor. I ordered a special wood hook that will be easy to pack, but allow me to hang the stocking without damaging hotel property:
https://www.sturbridgeyankee.com/wooden-stocking-hook-2.html
My SIL uses these types of hooks, and they are great at holding pretty heavy stockings. It's all about using the weight to balance itself!

I'll have to look at window clings. I got some nice snowflake ones a few years back that I used on a mirror in the living room - they looked really nice, not childlike. Good idea!

We are staying at a Hyatt Place, so the room is a bit more homey and has some surfaces that give me a bit more flexibility in decorating than a normal hotel room. I ordered a custom banner last night on etsy that says "Be Merry" in distressed lettering on individual blocks that I will string somewhere, probably on the bookshelf/TV area they have. Spent more than I probably should have on it, but I liked it and the seller worked with me on customizing it to make it even better :)

Last edited:
Great minds think alike! I have a roll of really nice, tapestry-type ribbon that I got at an after-Christmas clearance many years ago that I've never found a use for. But it seems to fit well with the type of decorating I have in mind so I am trying to figure out how to use it. I was thinking of wrapping a straw wreath or wire wreath frame with burlap ribbon, then using the tapestry ribbon for a bow on it, but that might be a bit much to pack. So I'm still noodling that.

While we open under-the-tree-gifts before we leave, Santa Mom does fill DDs stocking for Christmas Day, so that will definitely be coming with us and will become part of the decor. I ordered a special wood hook that will be easy to pack, but allow me to hang the stocking without damaging hotel property:
My SIL uses these types of hooks, and they are great at holding pretty heavy stockings. It's all about using the weight to balance itself!

I'll have to look at window clings. I got some nice snowflake ones a few years back that I used on a mirror in the living room - they looked really nice, not childlike. Good idea!

We are staying at a Hyatt Place, so the room is a bit more homey and has some surfaces that give me a bit more flexibility in decorating than a normal hotel room. I ordered a custom banner last night on etsy that says "Be Merry" in distressed lettering on individual blocks that I will string somewhere, probably on the bookshelf/TV area they have. Spent more than I probably should have on it, but I liked it and the seller worked with me on customizing it to make it even better :)
Hey! How about packing some 3M HOOKS to use for hanging up banners? They won't hurt the paint. Easily removable. Fun holiday paper plates, napkins, and of course holiday pjs are fun! How about a few marshmallow santas?

Hey! How about packing some 3M HOOKS to use for hanging up banners? They won't hurt the paint. Easily removable. Fun holiday paper plates, napkins, and of course holiday pjs are fun! How about a few marshmallow santas?

I have a feeling they would take issue with the 3M hooks - I have managed to tear off paint with those in the past. But I have lots of creative ideas on how to use clear fishing line to hang things in ways that requires no permanent or even semi-permanent attachments. It's all about what you can loop it around :thumbsup2

And of course holiday pjs will be involved. Always. For both DD and I! The only question is do I attempt to make them match the decor :rotfl:

I found some large (10+ inches tall) glitter star ornaments at DollarTree today. I picked up some to put across the top of the headboards. The headboards have a flat strip at the top (significantly above sleeping head level), attached to the wall - I should be able to just set the stars on that strip, leaning against the wall. I guess the stars are supposed to be silver, but they are really more of a light beige color that reminds me somewhat of a burlap color, and the glitter is slightly worn in places, giving them a hint of "rustic". They even nestle together nicely for packing!

Last edited:
My daughter's school had an event at Barnes and Noble this week and the kids were interested in a few of the books ("The Book with no Pictures" was one my son wanted) so now I have a few more ideas. I may have Santa bring those!

I'm getting excited for the sales coming up, especially Kohl's veterans day sale if it's the same as last year!

We looooove that book, it's so much fun to read.

Well the Echo I got for dh's garage won't be given to him afterall. It turns out he has pretty good speakers hooked up to his computer down there so he won't really like/need the Echo. I will keep it and just use it in our camper.
I did see a sneak peak of Kohl's BF ad and saw they will have the Echo Dot for $30 as a doorbuster. I'm going to get him that instead.

Well the Echo I got for dh's garage won't be given to him afterall. It turns out he has pretty good speakers hooked up to his computer down there so he won't really like/need the Echo. I will keep it and just use it in our camper.
I did see a sneak peak of Kohl's BF ad and saw they will have the Echo Dot for $30 as a doorbuster. I'm going to get him that instead.

Thanks for posting about the kohls BF ad! I looked quickly and couldn't find my go-to blanket for teacher gifts but I'm gonna take a closer look tomorrow and see if they offer it at a decent price. If not, I'll cross my fingers for the veterans day deal.

Thanks for posting about the kohls BF ad! I looked quickly and couldn't find my go-to blanket for teacher gifts but I'm gonna take a closer look tomorrow and see if they offer it at a decent price. If not, I'll cross my fingers for the veterans day deal.

Check page 30 if you are looking for the Big One throw. $8.99 :)

One year when I was a kid we spent Christmas in Colorado. For decorations my mom brought a big pack of origami paper, a book of Christmas origami instructions, scissors and tape. We had fun making paper chains and origami ornaments from the paper. It was a very lovely tree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter