Christmas or August

TammyLynn33

DIS Veteran
We are debating between going between August 2020 (mid August) or Christmas 2020? ( leave prior to NYE)
Thoughts ? Crowds? Costs? Air right now looks almost the same using 2019 dates)

Thanks

Personal preference. They are very different experiences, relatively speaking. August is summer. Very hot, less crowded, frequent (not necessarily daily) t-storms. Christmas is the busiest time of the year at WDW. Weather is cooler, sometimes cold...sometimes very warm (it was 84 in 2015 but only 55 in 2017), lots of decorations.

Which one appeals to you?

Frankly we love both, summer and Xmas at Disney. They're fun in their own way, but if I had to pick one I'd pick summer by only by a 51/49% margin.

As Klayfish posted, there are enormous differences in the weather. We saw sleet in early January a few years ago, so winter months can be very cold. August is invariably hot and humid and can make even strolling midday in the parks unpleasant.

And a minor (maybe) point. If you aren't a frequent visitor, the Christmas decorations (while absolutely delightful to many of us) might actually dilute the Disney experience for those looking for that. I think it's way cool to see the parks decorated for the holidays, but some guests may miss seeing the parks in their "normal state."

(All that said, I'll take a hot humid or cold day at WDW over a pleasant day anywhere else...)

Last edited:
And a minor (maybe) point. If you aren't a frequent visitor, the Christmas decorations (while absolutely delightful to many of us) might actually dilute the Disney experience for those looking for that. I think it's way cool to see the parks decorated for the holidays, but some guests may miss seeing the parks in their "normal state."

Keep in mind that the MNSSHP has usually started mid-August so if your trip is after mid-August you're likely to have the Halloween decorations up....as you note your trip would be mid-August. The MNSSHP is my favorite event at WDW so I highly recommend it. I'll admit it feels too early to celebrate Halloween in August though - haha!

I also think the parks are going to be less crowded in August vs between Christmas and New Year's. If you go in August you'll have less crowds, you can plan to attend the MNSSHP or plan to avoid it by going early August, more likely to have thunderstorms in the afternoons, a hurricane is possible but unlikely. The weather is reliably hot. The later you go in August the less crowded it should be as more and more kids go back to school.

Christmas will be significantly more crowded most likely. Lots of great Christmas stuff to see - iffy weather but probably not hot hot as you get in August.This could be a bummer if you have family who like the pools.

Just hard my options are as we are new to dvc Hilton head in aug followed by Christmas is Disney
Or just a longer trip in August
I think one Christmas in Disney would be a bucket list thing as big kid will be starting college that year sigh so vacations him will be harder to come by

Another thing to keep in mind is August is hurricane season so there is always that slight chance that your vacation would be interrupted. However, I would pick that over Christmas any day. I would not want to deal with the Christmas crowds...often times on Christmas MK will reach capacity...I've been there on crowded days where you have long lines for every ride and people everywhere and on those days the parks were not near capacity.

August would be my pick due to lower crowds (mid to late in the month). The weather is not optimal (although some folks tolerate it better than others), but you learn how to cope sensibly with it. Christmas is the busiest time at WDW and the crowds are daunting. The parks and resorts are beautifully decorated. But there are long waits for everything. And the weather can be glorious or downright freezing.

Another alternative might be to visit after Thanksgiving through mid-December. It is a very, very busy time for DVC so you would have to book as soon as you can (for a 2020 trip). The parks and resorts are decorated for the holidays and there are tons of events to make the trip magical.

I agree with the poster who said personal preference. We went in August and had a blast, but it gets really hot where we live. We have been to WDW in August before so knew what to expect. If I lived in a climate with cooler summers I think I would have been miserable. The crowds were not bad at all. We had family plans for Christmas or would have considered it. Either way, you can plan for the crowd level/climate for when you plan to go.

We’ve done both, and hands down August. Going over Christmas it is insanely busy. Don’t ever want to do it again.

I say Christmas based strictly on atmosphere alone!!! IMO it’s the best of Disney. You are totally submerged in everything Christmas, and I love it! Good luck deciding!!!

Definitely Christmas, if you plan well and know how to manage the crowds. We visit every Christmas thru NYE and have a great time. Summer is a very different experience. The Christmas magic makes for a special experience. Only once have we encountered really cold weather at Christmas. Last visit we rented Sea Raycers and enjoyed days at the pool.

We love our annual Christmas trip. It is our favorite time to go. However, we go often so we don't feel the need to do and see everything on one trip. If it is a one time only trip for a limited number of days, I might not suggest Christmas. If you can stay for more than a week, adjust your touring pace because of crowds, and / or will go again - Christmas is the most magical time of the year.

Thanks everyone just looking for why each visit is special . Undoubtedly as new DVC owner we will do both eventually
Just a lot of variables as my big kid will be starting post secondary school sept 2020 and I’m not sure when his breaks will be .. I def don’t mind taking littles out if school but I’m not ready to vacation without him yet ..:(
Single mom 4 kiddos (1 special needs) he’s my right hand man lol
I want to look at air too. Just a lot to think about

We go every Christmas and just love it. The atmosphere is so festive and the weather is more comfortable, however it can get quite chilly in the evening so layer up. I would pick Christmas over any other time, just prepare and you'll have a wonderful time.

Christmas means insane crowds. Would I go then? Absolutely not. We travel in early May. Crowds are very very low. August will be busier. But nothing like Christmas. It’s no fun when it’s that busy.

I have gone both. I like August because it is much cheaper (tickets are expensive at Christmas!) and much less crowded. I like Christmas because it is festive and the weather is cooler (freezing aometimes though). The crowds are batty at Christmas though. Even with my crazy planning, we get far less done.

I am doing Christmas 2019 and August 2020 ;)

Christmas is better with the decorations but the crowds will be worse depending on WHEN - the week of Christmas will be a zoo regardless if you're leaving before NYE.

If this is a once-in-a-lifetime type trip - August. If you go every once or two years, Christmas.

Christmas at WDW is beautiful and I will NEVER do it again. The crowds were insane, to the point of it not of not being fun. We couldn’t even walk from one side of the MK to the other. On the other hand we almost always go in August and, yes, it’s hot, but if you strategize you day and plan for afternoon pool or water park breaks, you’ll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter