Christmas or August

The crowds would kill it for me, making Christmas it a no go. We've done early - mid August in 2016 and 2018 and loved it both times. Crowds were moderate at most. (typically 3-6 out of 10) Weather is hot, but we like that. Typically 88-90F. Makes the pools enjoyable, even at night.

During Christmas you need to jungle your MK schedule around MVMCP party days too.

Just my input.

Dan

Well luckily I’m taking my kids not you but so sorry you won’t be joining us :) ha ha

Time is limited . I will have a kid starting college and one starting high school fall 2020 and 2 littles so it’s either Summer or Christmas as college breaks don’t coincide with elementary breaks much.

Also we don’t do Disney that much and just got back last month from Disney. I have points coming in Dec 2019 and will bank those and will have more points Dec 2020 ao I’m guessing 2020 would be the logical choice to book as I can borrow from 2021 and hopefully have a really nice vacation. Every three years is probably most do-able for us with airfare etc

QUOTE="FastPasser., post: 60618925, member: 600555"]If those are my only choices, I select neither.[/QUOTE]

I would also add that while Christmas is the busiest time of year, I think there's some exaggeration about just how bad it is that happens. Everyone handles and judges crowd size differently, but in our experience with two different Xmas weeks, only once did we actually get "stuck" where we couldn't move. It was in MK in Liberty Square just as a parade was ending. There was a bottle neck trying to get to where that little walkway that goes toward Splash is. Beyond that, we were never literally stuck. MK is a madhouse at times and moving around is slower than normal, but you can still get around. The other parks, while also very packed, are better. You can get around them just fine.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are long lines for QS places, and even womens' bathrooms...never a line for mens, I always wound up waiting for DW and DD11.

What about Thanksgiving break? It is busy, but not nearly as bad as Christmas week. And Christmas decorations are up. And the weather is much better than August.

We go every August and Christmas week. I love both times of the year.
It’s hard for me to choose, but I’ll give a slight edge to Christmas week. I would never recommend Christmas week for first timers but I honestly don’t find crowds to be too bad.

We are debating between going between August 2020 (mid August) or Christmas 2020? ( leave prior to NYE)
Thoughts ? Crowds? Costs? Air right now looks almost the same using 2019 dates)

Thanks

I have never been either time and will more than likely not go because I'm a teacher and we start school in mid August here. Teachers start the week before in planning, so that would limit trip time. My family celebrates Hanukkah, so going during Christmas just wouldn't "work".

Now, speaking as a resident who has seen those annoying hurricanes come through, peak season is September, but one can swing through in August. The panhandle, where I live and south Florida seem to get more of them. Being that Orlando is in central FL, it isn't "as often" they are hit by hurricanes. Now if they form in the Gulf, that's a whole different bag of chips for Central Florida. :eek: Last year Alberto came through on Memorial Day. He hit the panhandle, but was pretty mild. I don't think Central FL saw much from him.

YOU pick which one you want to experience. Some great advice was given about crowds in December. It IS one of THE BUSIEST times in Disney. I believe this year though, SWGE will make the holidays look like the BEST time to go! :lmao:

August. Last trip before your DS goes off to school? No brainer.

Christmas is special, but not as special as sending your DS off to school with the entire family. I've done both a number of times. I love both times, but prefer going earlier in December to enjoy Christmas.

Last edited:
Agree that it's personal preference. I've done both August and Christmas and there are good things about each. BUT Christmas in Disney World is just better than anywhere else! Haha so I would probably pick that.

We are debating between going between August 2020 (mid August) or Christmas 2020? ( leave prior to NYE)

Thanks

You couldn't pay me enough to be there over the actual Christmas week (Christmas to New Years). I would go mid-August if those were truly my only two choices.

We go every Christmas and just love it. The atmosphere is so festive and the weather is more comfortable, however it can get quite chilly in the evening so layer up. I would pick Christmas over any other time, just prepare and you'll have a wonderful time.

I don't consider being packed in like a sardine to be a "wonderful time" by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks
Depends. August has lower crowds and is pretty hot with frequent storms. Christmas is SUPER crowded but quite beautiful and the weather is normally mild.

Thanks
August is way too hot and kids always complain. Parks not as busy in summer. We like Christmas time at Disney but more crowded. If I was picking it would be Christmas time.

Thanks

100% would choose Aug. The weather will be hot and probably a little rainy, however while I'd love to visit WDW during the holidays one day (I've visited DL during the holidays), for us it really did take away from the Disney feel. Instead of Disney music we were bombarded by Christmas music everywhere. Throw in the fact that crowds will be MUCH worse during Christmas as oppose to Aug. and it'd be cheaper pricing, I'd 100% go with Aug. I'm also not a fan of having to pack a bunch of extra clothes (coats, long pants, sweatshirts etc.) In Aug. there's not guessing the weather it's shorts and t-shirts and ponchos lol.

I would choose August primarily for lesser crowds. Christmas crowds are the busiest time of the entire year at WDW.

The weather in August is crazy hot, lots of downpours during the day and it's hurricane season, but at least you know what you're getting. December weather in Florida is a crap shoot, you may freeze one day and be hot the next. Planning and packing for that uncertainty makes me a bit bonkers.

So very different!
I have done Christmas (12/26-1/2) and it was so crowded that it was a bit annoying and the weather is not good enough to go and enjoy the pool thoroughly. I would not go back then despite loving the decorations.
We did mid-August in 2017 and the heat was really hard. We got up super early and did the parks and then did a sit down for lunch at like 2pm then went back and did the pool. I did not like the Beach Club inside, but the pool was great for a summer stay. We are going back this July and split staying BWI and WL to get tow different pools. We rarely went back to the parks at night. We were so tired from the heat. This was fine because we had been several times before so there was nothing we had to do. The crowds were great after mid August, too! October/Nov is our favorite time.

Christmas. August is too hot and rainy. We've done NYE week twice. Crowded but fun.

Well luckily I’m taking my kids not you but so sorry you won’t be joining us :) ha ha
Don't be sorry, I've been there during those two times and also every other time during the year for decades. I'll probably be there again this year, but for the first time in forever, only as a Guest. You'll have a great time.

Last edited:

Thanks

We have gone several times in both seasons and here is what I would ask you.

1) How often do you go to Disney, and are you looking to do a ton of rides/attractions?
2) How flexible are you on daily planning (ie if crowds are busier than expected will you be okay skipping a few things here and there?)
3) Are you an all day in the park person, or a few hours a day in a park is fine for me?

If you have gone to Disney a lot or riding a ton of rides is not important then December is a good choice. Sure it is crowded, but if you go into it not expecting to ride a ton of rides you may end up finding yourself pleasantly surprised. If rides are super important to you then just do August, no amount of planning can help you a ton with the crowds.

August is hot, and it can suck. We live in Houston and we avoid the parks in the middle of the day. The sun just really wears us out with the kids. We have actually just started going to the parks starting around 6pm and staying late, but we have gone to WDW 30+ times so we really don't care if we only do 3-5 rides a day. That being said the crowds are manageable in August, and even taking breaks during the day you can get a lot more done rides wise than you can do in December.

One thing about December though is since the weather is cooler we find we can spend a lot more time in the park if we want to. Pretty easy to just do a full day in December without getting run down by the heat. I just can't do that in August. And I am fairly fit, 38 years old, and run 2-4 times a week 8-10 miles at a time but the heat still whips me there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter