Christmas Resort Hopping Strategy?

Yujailec

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

My family and I will be at Disney in early December (7-10). We will only be going to Magic Kingdom during our stay, one of the days will be spent exploring Disney Springs and another I would like go resort hopping to check out Christmas decorations.

This being my first time resort hopping, do you have any strategies you can share?

I also plan to have dinner while touring the resorts, any recommendations for resort dining?

Thank you all in advance!

We usually do it in batches.

So Group 1 is: Wilderness Lodge, Ft. Wilderness, Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian. We'll, park at WL because it's the one I love most. Then take the boat to the Contemporary, ride the monorail, and then take a boat from either MK or Contemporary to Ft. Wilderness and then the boat back to WL.

Group 2: Epcot resorts. Yacht & Beach, Swan & Dolphin, Boardwalk. Usually, this is part of an Epcot or DHS day. So we've parked at the park, and then use the boat.

Group 3: Before my parents moved to FL, we always stayed at Port Orleans. So we go and have beignets at French Quarter, and drive over to Riverside. If we are feeling particularly ambitious, we will tack on Old Key West and Saratoga Springs.

We also pin trade. So we are used to going to the All-Stars and then Pop Century and Art of Animation.

Both Port Orleans and Pop/AoA you can drive between both without having to stop at a 2nd guard gate. Speaking of the gates: We just tell them we are getting something to eat, show a license, and they let us through. But this is mostly for the non-monorail, non-Epcot hotels. The monorails and Epcot hotels are way pickier who they let park. Sometimes on a Tuesday at like noon, it's no big deal, but weekend are usually no-gos, so we rely on Disney transport.

This leaves AKL, Caribbean Beach and Coronado. We usually still make AKL because we like the theming and we'll get Zebra Domes, Coronado Springs, is a hit or a miss, but I usually like their decor. But we have to make a concerted effort to make it to Caribbean Beach and it's been a few years.

I think monorail hopping is the most convenient - and such fun! Note that if driving you may not be able to park at a MK resort without a resort or restaurant reservation and will be asked to park at the TTC. If feasible, I'd recommend a taxi/lyft/uber to one of the MK resorts rather than trying to drive. Once on the monorail loop, plenty to see, plus a boat over to Wilderness Lodge.

The Epcot resorts present another potential "crawl": Yacht Club, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin.

We play a "game" on our rest day where we bus hop to resorts to pin trade and explore. We go to our bus stop and take the first bus that arrives and then hop onto a resort bus at the destination. We go back and forth all day doing this and plan to use the same strategy for seeing the Christmas decorations.

DH and I have a tradition of WDW resort hopping during the holidays. We are older, poky, and take lots of breaks so we make a whole day of it. We take Disney transportation from where ever we are staying to MK. Next we take the boat over to the Polynesian and have breakfast at Kona Cafe. Enjoy the decorations, look through the shops then monorail to the GF. Love this lobby, too, so we take some time to enjoy the tree and the gingerbread house. Next monorail over to the Contemporary and take the boat at the back of Contemporary over to Wilderness Lodge. WL is one of my favorite resorts at Christmas so we take a break here, grab a lobby chair and take it all in for a while. Back on the boat to the MK then take a bus to one of the EPCOT resorts. We tour all these lobbies and shops. By the time we get to The Dolphin I am probably ready for a glass of wine. The lobby bar at The Dolphin is wonderful and a great place to take a break. After wine and rest, we catch the boat to The Studios then take a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Another beautiful lobby tree with the extra perk of viewing the animals along the trails at the back of the lobby. Next we take a bus to Disney Springs for an early dinner. There are so many good places to eat at DS without a reservation that arrival time is not an issue. After dinner we tour the Christmas Tree Trail with all the beautiful Disney themed trees, the snow machines are blasting, the Christmas music is playing and Santa is in his hut. I hope Disney keeps this attraction; it is a lovely addition to the holidays. Finally a drink at Dockside Margaritas. They make a killer rum runner and the live music is always good. Then back to which ever resort we are staying at that year. It is a great day that we look forward to. It is a nice break from the parks but still pure Disney.

Can anyone provide me an estimate of how long it typically takes to tour the resorts during the holidays?

I want to try and give you useful info, but it's hard not knowing your itinerary with dining and etc.
First, I don't think you can feasibly try to do EVERY resort without ruining your experience. I would skip all the Moderate and Value Resorts. You can take the boats to Port Orleans on your Disney Springs day for a nice break midday though.

So, if I had to choose an order for this, I would choose Boardwalk resorts first and start early, so you can have time to tour the Boardwalk and bit and then leave after lunch midday. If you want to do Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'd get there around 2pm-3pm and then I'd drive to WL to park or park at the ticket and transportation center to start on the Monorail.

The Monorail order is (Ive added activity considerations) as follows: CLOCKWISE with Magic Kingdom at 12 o'clock, the Contemporary is at 3 o'clock (a great place to watch the fireworks from the roof top if you head up to California Grill Lounge you wont need a reservation) then the Polynesian is at the 6 o'clock mark (a great place to eat and pin trade with many great food and drink options and a fun atmosphere). Try Trader Sams Grog Grotto with kids before 8pm and also watch fireworks/water pageant from beach and docks here. Next up is The Grand Floridian, which I'd suggest at sundown for the live music in the usually busy lobby. Then take a boat from Magic Kingdom to either Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge.

Fort Wilderness has a stables for the kids and great buffet, as well as the Hoop Dee Do Revue.

The question is really when to take the boats to FW and WL. If I had to choose, WL is the best of the bunch for Xmas decorations and the boats are nice rides. They leave from the Magic Kingdom, Fort Wilderness and Contemporary to get there.

Id wage you need an hour at each resort from stepping your foot on property. Whichever you choose to watch the Fireworks from give 1.5 hours (Id chose the Polynesian if I had kids with me), and consider that the boats will take you a half hour each way with the waits. Do not take the internal transportation inside Fort Wilderness. The Monorail will save you a lot of time between the 3 resorts on the loop. I don't recommend driving from resort to resort.

I also recommend figuring out your dining ahead of time. The best Counter Service restaurant IMO, at these resorts, is Capt. Cooks at the Polynesian. There are great Table service options at all of them. For a Buffet and value, I'd choose Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge, or better yet, Trail's End at Fort Wilderness.

For myself, this is what Id do:

Breakfast at your home resort.
10AM Head to Boardwalk resorts. Tour around and grab ice cream from either Ample Hills or better yet BEACHES and CREAM at the Beach Club.
1PM Either grab lunch at the Boardwalk resort restaurants or better yet head to
2PM Animal Kingdom Lodge for Lunch at BOMA and tour resort.
3PM - 4PM Drive to Monorail Loop. Head to Contemporary. Look around for a bit, pin trade etc. and leave for NOT the POLYNESIAN, skip over that and go straight to
4:30-5PM Grand Floridian. Take in the sights and music in the Lobby. Not a lot for kids here but a great Lounge "Mizner's" for a cocktail, if you like.
5:30 Monorail to Magic Kingdom and then boat to Fort Wilderness.
6PM Tour Fort Wilderness. Do not leave the main area near the lake or take internal busses. Possibly eat at TRAIL'S END.
7-7:30PM Boat the Wilderness Lodge. Geiser Point, Xmas decorations in Lobby, watch Geiser erupt, take in ambience. It's really quite nice for Xmas.
8:30 Boat to Magic Kingdom then Boat to Polynesian
9PM Trader Sams, Great Pin Trading, Watch fireworks at Polynesian Beach. Eat at Capt Cooks. Water Pageant.
10-10:30Pm - ? Then Monorail back to car.

Last edited:
I'm headed down in November for only 2 nights and 1 day. I'm planning on doing Disney Springs to do some shopping and do the Christmas tree trail after dark and do only the monorail resorts. I've got no ADRs. Is this doable in a day?

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions, specially the really detailed ones! This has truly helped me put it all in perspective.

I plan to arrive at Disney Spring at about 10:30AM and catch the first bus to the Epcot resort area, then my plan goes a little like this...

11:00-11:30 AM - tour Yacht Club and walk over to
11:30-12:30 PM - Beach Club, stop for ice cream at Beaches & Cream, walk over to
12:30-1:00 PM - Boardwalk
1:00-1:30 PM - Bus to Monorail Loop
1:30-2:00 PM - Grand Floridian
2:00-2:30 PM - Monorail to
2:30-3:00 PM - Contemporary
3:00-3:30 PM - Boat (blue flag launch) to
3:30-4:30 PM - Wilderness Lodge / watch geyser erupt @ 4:00PM
4:30-5:00 PM - Boat (blue flag launch) to
5:00-8:00 PM - Fort Wilderness / Dinner Trails End (allowing 2-2.5 hrs for dinner with Chef TJ)
8:00-9:00 PM - Boat (green flag launch) to MK > Monorail to Poly
9:00 PM - Polynesian / Electrical Water Pageant
9:30-10:00 PM - Bus back to Disney Springs

Does this timing seem doable and sufficient to enjoy the Christmas decorations throughout?

Again, thank you so much for all your help!

Last edited:
For myself, this is what Id do:

Breakfast at your home resort.
10AM Head to Boardwalk resorts. Tour around and grab ice cream from either Ample Hills or better yet BEACHES and CREAM at the Beach Club.
1PM Either grab lunch at the Boardwalk resort restaurants or better yet head to
2PM Animal Kingdom Lodge for Lunch at BOMA and tour resort.
3PM - 4PM Drive to Monorail Loop. Head to Contemporary. Look around for a bit, pin trade etc. and leave for NOT the POLYNESIAN, skip over that and go straight to
4:30-5PM Grand Floridian. Take in the sights and music in the Lobby. Not a lot for kids here but a great Lounge "Mizner's" for a cocktail, if you like.
5:30 Monorail to Magic Kingdom and then boat to Fort Wilderness.
6PM Tour Fort Wilderness. Do not leave the main area near the lake or take internal busses. Possibly eat at TRAIL'S END.
7-7:30PM Boat the Wilderness Lodge. Geiser Point, Xmas decorations in Lobby, watch Geiser erupt, take in ambience. It's really quite nice for Xmas.
8:30 Boat to Magic Kingdom then Boat to Polynesian
9PM Trader Sams, Great Pin Trading, Watch fireworks at Polynesian Beach. Eat at Capt Cooks. Water Pageant.
10-10:30Pm - ? Then Monorail back to car.

I've taken your suggestion and sort of personalized it. In your opinion, considering past experiences, which of the two would make more sense?

11:00-11:45 AM - tour Yacht Club and walk over to
11:45-12:45 PM - Beach Club, stop for ice cream at Beaches & Cream, walk over to
12:45-1:30 PM - Boardwalk
1:30-2:00 PM - Bus to Monorail Loop
2:00-2:45 PM - Grand Floridian
2:45-3:15 PM - Monorail to
3:15-4:00 PM - Contemporary
4:00-4:30 PM - Boat (blue flag launch) to
4:30-5:30 PM - Wilderness Lodge / watch geyser erupt @ 5:00PM
5:30-6:00 PM - Boat (blue flag launch) to
6:00-6:30 PM - Fort Wilderness
6:45-7:45 PM - Boat (green flag launch) to MK > Monorail to Polynesian
7:45-8:45 PM - Dinner at Kona Cafe
9:00 PM - Electrical Water Pageant + tour Poly

OR

11:00-11:30 AM - tour Yacht Club and walk over to
11:30-12:30 PM - Beach Club, stop for ice cream at Beaches & Cream, walk over to
12:30-1:00 PM - Boardwalk
1:00-1:30 PM - Bus to Monorail Loop
1:30-2:00 PM - Grand Floridian
2:00-2:30 PM - Monorail to
2:30-3:00 PM - Contemporary
3:00-3:30 PM - Boat (blue flag launch) to
3:30-4:30 PM - Wilderness Lodge / watch geyser erupt @ 4:00PM
4:30-5:00 PM - Boat (blue flag launch) to
5:00-8:00 PM - Fort Wilderness / Dinner Trails End (allowing 2-2.5 hrs for dinner with Chef TJ)
8:00-9:00 PM - Boat (green flag launch) to MK > Monorail to Poly
9:00 PM - Polynesian / Electrical Water Pageant

I appreciate your feedback!

I think the first option is best. Spot on, in fact! The only thing I'd alter a bit is I'd add some time at Fort Wilderness and choose eating at Trail's End over Kona Cafe - especially if you have kids with you. Kona Cafe is not great for kids but the sushi is good. Overall, I'd rate Trail's End as having better food and a much higher value for the money. At Fort Wilderness, the area where your boat will dock in is called "The Settlement" and there are horse stables, recreation and a kid friendly food options at Trails End.
On the second list you had Fort Wilderness for 3 hours,.. Since Trails End is a buffet, I dont think you will need quite 2.5 hours there. You could probably comfortably see all of the Settlement and eat at Trails End in about 1.5 hours. Maybe give yourself some time to digest on the porch with a drink (this will be nice with or without a drink), on one of those rocking chairs while your kids run around. You are not missing much around the rest of the resort, unless you wanna take your kids to outdoor movie with Chip N Dale, deeper in Fort Wilderness. In which case, well, that's gonna take a lot more of your resort hopping time. Its a good time for them, but it also requires you to use the internal bus service at FW and I dont recommend getting on those internal buses. I'd stay at the Settlement.

Hope this helps!

:)

I did not read all the prior posts but want to provide a word of caution.
Sometimes during the holiday season, WL has not allowed non WL guests to park there.
The bus from MK to WL is very quick and the trip back is also short if you want to try that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter