Christmas Shopping '09

Disney Mommy 3

DIS Veteran
Hello everybody!!! Well, this year is officially half over...and for some of us that means we need to start thinking about Christmas shopping!!! I did a thread last year and I really enjoyed it, so here is #2!!!!:santa:

I haven't actually started shopping yet, but my two younger kids have started a list!!! We had to run to Toys R Us last week and had some time to kill. My older son (Saylor)is 13 and he loves his PSP, Nintendo DS, and his Ipod. He also likes to read,so sometimes I throw in a really great book. I am sure this is part of what he's gonna ask for. The problem is that his birthday is Dec 4!!!So, he has started getting more $$ for his bday, and gifts for Christmas. This works out very well!!!

My middle son(Kipper) is 10, will be 10 1/2 at Christmas and is soooo easy to buy for!!! He is a Lego maniac!!!!! Truly. He gave me a ton of Legos to list. So, the family will not have any trouble finding something he likes. He likes the psp and all that too, but building stuff much better. He does have a DS and likes it pretty well, so he may get a game or two. He is also a big reader, so....

My daughter (Gracie) is 6. She'll be 6 1/2 at Christmas this year. She got an Am.Girl doll last christmas--Elizabeth, and a Bitty Baby for her 6th birthday.So, she may get a couple of outfits for those. When we were at TRU, she fell in love with the Loving Family doll house!!! And lots of 'rooms' so our family will have plenty to pick from! She will be getting some great books as well.

We are going back to Disney world on Dec 5--the day after my sons 14th bday. So, I know we are going to be getting some nifty souvies while we are there. I am always an early shopper and with going to Disney in Dec instead of Jan this next time, I will feel pressure (from myself) to get it done super early!!!!!!! I usually try to have it all done by some time early in Oct anyway..but we'll see how I do!!!

This thread will hopefully inspire all of you wait-til-the-last-minute-shoppers to get out there and shop early and shop smart!!! With the economy like it is, Christmas may be smaller for lots of families this year. If that is true for you, then you really need to start thinking about who you really need to shop for this year. We can toss ideas back and forth and maybe come up with some good ideas for cheaper, or different gifts for friends and family. Christmas should not be a time for stress and panic...lets keep our focus on the real reason we even have Christmas!!!! Jesus truly is the reason! He has blessed us tremendously with every day He has given us! The purpose of this thread is not for religious debate or to exclude anyone. We all love the season and we all need to enjoy it!!! So...lets start listing anything we already have bought &/or made or are planning for!!!

I haven't started shopping or even thinking about it yet, but this sounds like a great thread, so I'm subscribing. Can't wait to hear ideas!!!:santa:

Not an idea for children, but here is an adult idea that we started last year.

After 8 years of exchanging gifts with SIL, I finally asked her if we could do a "tacky gift exchange". I figured it would be LOADS of laughs and it would be lots of fun to shop for.

The whole point is to find the tackiest gift you can - for $10 or less :rotfl:
Last year, I recieved a BEAUTIFUL monkey candlestick that is spray painted gold. The candle holder was the hands of the monkey - with 2 half burnt candles :lmao:

I gave my SIL a long sleeved shirt with an apliqued penguin loaded down with glitter and puff paint. It also had a battery operated set of lights woven on it and jingle bells attached to it. As a sid bonus, I also found her a fushia cableknit purse -- :rotfl::lmao::rotfl:

Anyway, the whole point of this is that you can find ways to have fun at Christmas without spending loads of money on adult gifts too. :thumbsup2

:welcome: I am so glad you both found me so soon!!!! That does sound like a fun idea---the tacky gift. Hilarious!! Can ya'll believe half this year is over? I must admit, I am amazed....how did this creep up on us so quickly?!?!?! It'll be Oct before we know it and all the stores will be Christmas to the hilt!!!

I've been listening to my kids for ideas, but some of them are hard. I do always get them each a new book and pjs and 3 of them need alarm clocks for their rooms. Our family doesn't really buy much for them so the brunt of the shopping is on me so I like to start early.

DD13--she'll be the hardest, so far I've gotten her a Vera Bradley purse, she'll probably get an itunes GC, maybe a couple ds or wii games.

DS11 (then 12)--he'll get an ipod nano if he doesn't for his bday, if not maybe a digital camera. And probably some Reds stuff, I'm thinking a sweatshirt.

DS10--he's the easiest, he always wants everything, lol. Probably an ipod shuffle, maybe a digital camera and toys will have to wait and see. I'll probably get him something for camping, too, he does that lot with cub scouts.

DS8--he always asks for all the new toys out, but doesn't actually play with much besides video games so he'll get some new wii and ds games and a couple new toys, I'm not sure what yet.

DS5--probably a Ripstick. My oldest DS says he's not big enough for it, but he's wanted it since last Christmas and he's really balanced and athletic, I think he could handle it. I don't know what else, he really prefers playing outside.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas!

The tacky gift was fun ... ite fact I have already started collecting items for next year - $10 goes far at Garage sales :lmao::rotfl::lmao:

Anyway, here are my ideas so far for Christmas. All of my boys have Nov birthdays, so Christmas is hard since they get stuff for birthdays too.

DS10 - I think I'm going to get him a stereo for his room - I got my first one in 4th grade and it was SO COOL - of course, it had a record player and dual cassette tape player on it .... :laughing: or should I go for an IPod with speakers?
We aren't really a techie/electronic family though - and DS really doesn't listen to that much music yet. I don't think he'd know what to program on the IPod yet.

DS5a -He LOVES anything Mickey Mouse so if tht holds up I am going to sneak in some nifty things tht he wants from WDW. We're headed there the day after his birthday, so I'll shop then for him. He also LOVES trucks and John Deere tractors, so maybe a new one of those as well.

DS5b - Yes - they're twins :laughing: - He loves to read, so definately some cool books. I also may pick up some more games for the Leapster, since he loves that too. I need to get a fe more puzzles for him, since we outgrew most of the ones we had

That's what I'm thinking so far - we'll see what else I come up withv:woohoo:

I'll be watching this thread for ideas!

Just wanted to say I love, love, love your signature!!!!!!:thumbsup2 Tell your hubby we appreciate him!:flower3:
DS10 - I think I'm going to get him a stereo for his room - I got my first one in 4th grade and it was SO COOL - of course, it had a record player and dual cassette tape player on it .... :laughing: or should I go for an IPod with speakers?
We aren't really a techie/electronic family though - and DS really doesn't listen to that much music yet. I don't think he'd know what to program on the IPod yet.

My 10yo son got a cd player/radio for his room last year and he was soooo excited!! He doesn't listen to it all the time, but he was proud of it. At that age thats a great idea!

I started shopping two months ago. everyone made fun of me! I found some steals on the disney shopping website in the outlet section. I am updating her room from Princess to tastefully done Hannah. I found a cool lamp, guitar pillow, and a few accesories all for under $20!! Bought some nice fabric from Joann to make a new comforter that is HM colors but does not have her face plastered all over it. We are getting a Wii from Santa. I usually hold back some of the budget for the week before bc I usually get a last minute gotta have it item or two.

Yeah Shawna!!!! You're going to keep me organized again this year! :cool1:

You know I've already got a start after hitting the Disney outlets this week.

Here's my list:
We're going light again this year so we can take a trip to the World in Jan.

The big gift for the kids is surprising them with the trip to Disney.
I plan on wrapping a large box with Disney paper and putting balloons and a countdown calendar in it. :santa: I can't wait to see their faces!

DS (5) is a Lego fanatic like your little guy. He's into the Star Wars kind so that's all I'm going to tell family to get. He got a Darth Vader costume for his 5th birthday and has been begging for a Storm Trooper costume ever since so I told him to put it on his Christmas list. I have no idea where I'm going to find one of those :confused:

DD (2) is into princesses and Tink so she's easy. I love her age because you can get whatever and she's happy and usually not spend too much.

DH...I'm clueless as always. Last year we didn't exchange because of the upcoming trip and we may just do the same again this year.

Here's a site that has a countdown for us!
http://www.christmassantaclaus.com/clock.asp

Only 173 Days Left! And it says Christmas is on a Friday this year! Woo Hoo for a 3 day Holiday Weekend!

Our kids are getting the WDW trip and 3 day cruise over Christmas break from Dh and I. Santa will come while we are vacationing and bring a few items.

DS will be get the Magnetix ICoaster (already in my closet, purchased at Targets toy clearance in Jan), a book, a new Wii game(yet to be determined), anything else I can dig up that would be super cheap since we are spending a fortune on this trip.

DD will be getting a large real makeup kit (her first one) from a dept store. A book and the Toy Story Mania Wii game, anything else cheap- maybe a craft kit.

I did really well at Amazon last year. My kids got so much cool stuff that cost so little. Can't wait to see what Amazon has this year!

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you guys are thinking about Christmas already! I usually don't even start until all the birthdays I have to contend with have passed (early November). This is such a great idea!

I have started. I never charge anything, so I NEED to buy throughout the year. I got DD15 sims 3 for her new computer so far. I plan on getting her a new printer, clothes and some other things. DD12 I got rock star game for her psp. She love all things glittery and shiny so jewelry is always good, along with clothes and shoes (it does start early!). DD 8 will have a birthday on Dec 13h so I have a harder time with her. I did get the tinkerbelle ds game on ebay for really cheap. I also got her a steamer trunk (pink of course) to take to sleep away camp next summer. My girls all have one and they collect stickers from our travels to put on them. I try to keep an eye out for deals and i will wrap the things as I get them. The family gift will be a wii and the things we"ll need for that, so it should be easy to come up with games and accessories for this too!! Happy Shopping!:santa:

I'm glad I found this link. I've put some early lists together and will see if anything changes. My kids tend to change their minds easily.

Bonniehttp://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/cool1.gif

1994 All Star Sports
2004 All Star Sports
2005 Coronado Springs
2007 POR
2009 POR (Sept) Free Dining and MNSSHP

Our kids are getting the WDW trip and 3 day cruise over Christmas break from Dh and I. Santa will come while we are vacationing and bring a few items.

DS will be get the Magnetix ICoaster (already in my closet, purchased at Targets toy clearance in Jan), a book, a new Wii game(yet to be determined), anything else I can dig up that would be super cheap since we are spending a fortune on this trip.

DD will be getting a large real makeup kit (her first one) from a dept store. A book and the Toy Story Mania Wii game, anything else cheap- maybe a craft kit.

I did really well at Amazon last year. My kids got so much cool stuff that cost so little. Can't wait to see what Amazon has this year!

Where did you get Toy Story Mania for Wii?? Is it in 3-D???
TIA

Hey Shawna! I'm here! My parents got Madison the Loving Family Doll House last Christmas. It is awesome! She got a few rooms from my sisters for Christmas too. Then, for Easter, my parents got her the rest of the rooms! My mom actually bought her the deluxe doll house, so it came with 4 rooms I think. Madison used her own money to buy the family their van!

I remember my first makeup set :love: I felt so grown up. Although I remember it had lots of blue eyeshadow but then again I was a product of the 80's and the blue went well with my jams. :rotfl: C'mon don't act like you don't remember jams. :laughing:

On the topic of Wii- that's really what DH would love for Christmas and the kids would adore a Toy Story Mania game. I didn't know they had one for it! Perhaps we'll see what the budget looks like closer to Christmas. :teacher:

Hi Disney Mommy 3, I want to start my shopping early this year too. Black friday is usually when I get most of my shopping done, but i'd like to start, maybe in september this year. We have a lot of summer bdays in the family, so that's enough to buy for.

I love the tacky gift idea, I think i'm going to suggest that to my family this year, it will be fun and we have 10 kids all together, so that will probably be a welcome idea:thumbsup2

I usually start my shopping early too, I don't charge for presents either and starting early helps me get through everyone. We only have one DS - 11 on Wednesday actually. We are actually toying around with the idea of buying a trip for Christmas, has anyone ever New Years in WDW and the first week of January (adding a 3rd week to the break) - as far as crowds and festivities?
We've done a surprise visit, where we didn't tell DS until we were on the way. This would be different as he would be openning the gift on Christmas, obviously we would need token gift any ideas?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter