"Civilians" living in WDW

tlotgg

Mouseketeer
Quite a while ago I seem to recall reading that WDW/Reedy Creek needed to have a certain number of "civilian" (non Disney employed) people/families living within the borders of WDW to satisfy some legal/zoning requirements. Can anyone shed some light on this subject or is this another urban legend?

tlotgg said:
Quite a while ago I seem to recall reading that WDW/Reedy Creek needed to have a certain number of "civilian" (non Disney employed) people/families living within the borders of WDW to satisfy some legal/zoning requirements.
Actually, the residents of the town within the Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) — Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake — are all Disney employees. The residents are hand-picked by The Walt Disney Company. This assures that Disney does not lose control of the RCID. There are only around 47 permanent residents in the RCID.

If you are hoping to move into Lake Buena Vista or Bay Lake as an outsider, you're out of luck.

Which also does not include Celebration which is connected directly to the Walt Disney World parks and resorts, but doesn't constitute permanent residency.

rodkenrich said:
Which also does not include Celebration which is connected directly to the Walt Disney World parks and resorts, but doesn't constitute permanent residency.

Disney sold Celebration about a year or two ago.

rodkenrich said:
Even when Disney owned Celebration, it was de-annexed from the Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) so that Celebration residents (who are permanent residents) would not have voting rights in the RCID.

All I can tell you is that I've lived in Celebration since 2002 when Disney still owned the town. They sold it to Lexin in 2004 and I'm not alone when I tell you it is NOT the same. Downtown Celebration was alive with activities every weekend. It felt Disney. Not so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to live, but it's just not the same.

Don't forget the family that lives on bay lake that never sold out to WDW.

Lexin Capital’s purchase encompasses 18 acres containing 16 retail shops, six full-service restaurants, more than 94,000 square feet of commercial office space, 105 private apartments, and three land parcels.
Lexin only bought a portion, not all of Celebration.

Don't know their name but we were on a wishes cruise and the driver drove us right by their house. They are by the water way that all the boats take to get in back for over nights and repairs. He said that they would not sell out to WDW when they were buying everyone out. So now they are the only private house on the lake. Go to Google maps and follow Bay Ct. to the end of the road and you can partially see the house in the trees and their dock.

Don't know their name but we were on a wishes cruise and the driver drove us right by their house. They are by the water way that all the boats take to get in back for over nights and repairs. He said that they would not sell out to WDW when they were buying everyone out. So now they are the only private house on the lake. Go to Google maps and follow Bay Ct. to the end of the road and you can partially see the house in the trees and their dock.

Me thinks me smells an urban legend........???:confused3
I ain't done never heard of Disney buying or trying to buy out anyone. No one lived on the land in Orlando. At least that is how I remember it.
Anyone??

According to the orange county property appraiser's records, there are no owners of property on Bay Court other than Walt Disney World Company. In fact the parcels are called collectively, WDW BAY COURT MOBILE HOME PARK. Here is the map. As you can see there are no other parcels on Bay Ct. We have heard some tall tails from CM's. It's probably a running joke to see how wide spread they can make a rumor. http://paims.ocpafl.org/webmap/main.htm?cmd=ZOOMPIN&pin=272401000000020

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter