Class of 2021 Parents

And does your high school allow food deliveries for students? Even last year in middle school, some kids were always collecting Jimmy John’s and pizza deliveries from the security desk for lunch. Apparently Uber Eats does a landslide business at our HS! I will say that these kids have some very generous parents, as I doubt it’s the kid’s credit card saved into the apps! Maybe I’d let my kid do it as a treat, but not everyday.

Does your high school have open campus? For all grades? Ours does, which surprised me. If you have a free period you are allowed to roam (7-11, Dunkin, Burger King real close by and walkable). If you have a car, you may go as far as it can take you round trip to get back in time for your next class. Yesterday was a compressed schedule because of homecoming pep rally and I happened to be running a bunch of errands. There were HS kids in their HS spirit wear everywhere I went. The ones causing trouble in the toy section of Wal-Mart reeked of beer, so I was really wondering how exactly they were getting back into school for the pep rally! I guess it’s good, because it’s kind of like college and you are on your own to get to your classes. They don’t have homeroom, so if first period is your free period, you can come to school later. But then again, it’s bad, because you can be drunk at Wal-Mart at 11:30am!
Yes, has always been open, for over 100 years! Not nearly enough room in the cafeteria. There are literally dozens of restaurants walking distance, including a supermarket with high tables they can stand and eat at. Our elementary schools have open lunch, and all have a couple of places the kids can go and eat (delis, pizzarias). Most places have $5 student lunch specials. Elementary students can also walk home for lunch, they get an hour.

Does your high school have open campus? For all grades? Ours does, which surprised me. If you have a free period you are allowed to roam (7-11, Dunkin, Burger King real close by and walkable). If you have a car, you may go as far as it can take you round trip to get back in time for your next class. Yesterday was a compressed schedule because of homecoming pep rally and I happened to be running a bunch of errands. There were HS kids in their HS spirit wear everywhere I went. The ones causing trouble in the toy section of Wal-Mart reeked of beer, so I was really wondering how exactly they were getting back into school for the pep rally! I guess it’s good, because it’s kind of like college and you are on your own to get to your classes. They don’t have homeroom, so if first period is your free period, you can come to school later. But then again, it’s bad, because you can be drunk at Wal-Mart at 11:30am!

I think they allow seniors to come in late or leave early if they don't have a full schedule, but that's it. There is nothing within walking distance other than the 2nd-3rd grade elementary school and maybe a gas station.

And does your high school allow food deliveries for students? Even last year in middle school, some kids were always collecting Jimmy John’s and pizza deliveries from the security desk for lunch. Apparently Uber Eats does a landslide business at our HS! I will say that these kids have some very generous parents, as I doubt it’s the kid’s credit card saved into the apps! Maybe I’d let my kid do it as a treat, but not everyday.

Apparently, they did before this year. They made a big deal in freshman orientation about not bringing or delivering food - and that if you did, you needed to let the kid know, because they wouldn't be calling them to the office to get their food. I doubt much delivers out to our high school (pizza and chinese are my only options at home), but we might be in trouble when Uber Eats gets started here. Heck, I would have used it for lunch today because I didn't have time to leave work!

No open campus or food deliveries here. It used to be open when I went to school there but I guess they had too much trouble with people coming on to campus (as much if not more than students leaving). So now it is completely closed. But they have multiple food options so they all aren't trying to eat in the cafeterias (there are two) at the same time.

Hi all! I'm joining in a little late, I don't know how I missed this thread earlier. Anyway, my DD14 started her freshman year this fall--she's my third child, but the first to go to HS in North Carolina, so parts of it are new to us. For one thing, there's lots of school choice--she had her pick of 8 public high schools! She chose our "home school"--not a surprise, since we chose to buy a house in this district for a reason, not knowing she could have gone to this HS regardless.

DD is in the IB program, and so far, so good--they warn you that your child won't get straight-A's, but she is. Of course, it's early yet. DD has also been named principle cellist of the school orchestra, which came as a surprise to her--she's good, but we weren't expecting her to get that, right out of the gate. Unfortunately, she'll only do orchestra this year--she won't have room in her schedule in future years. Luckily, there's a Youth Orchestra at the nearby college she'll be able to play in. She's made a bunch of new friends and has joined two clubs, so she seems to be fitting in fine. This school is very big--close to 4000 students, much more than we're used to. And football is king. Unfortunately, DD is a dance girl (when she's not playing cello).

There is no open campus, but then there isn't much by our school anyway except a Moto Mart and a Subway.

They must have been having a huge issue with this at school last year because I remember seeing a message about it that it would no longer be allowed. When we went to Freshman orientation we were also told that there would be no food deliveries at all to the school.

So both ds14 and dd14 were made captains of their soccer teams. Dd almost didn't go out for soccer, but now she's totally into it. I think not having her dad as her travel soccer coach, and having a female coach, have turned things around. Ds has always loved soccer, and usually plays for a couple of teams.

So our school is 2 time champions on our local fox news channel Friday morning pep zone. October 6 they are filming the kids at school for their morning Friday "pep zone" segment. My daughter since she is in marching band needs to be at school at 5:30am. My husband jokingly asked if she could just sleep at school. lol

Has anyone else had homecoming yet? Between the evening parade and pep rally on Thursday and the football game and dance on Friday, I've decided I'm not up for 4 years of this. lol I'm working the concession stand during the game, so I won't see any of the festivities or see the band march. I hear they let the band kids go after half time to get ready for the dance, which may be too bad for DD since I have to stay the whole game (though I'm sure we'll figure something out).

Do any of your kids do indoor percussion? DD is going to play synthesizer this year. I don't know much about it, other than watching a couple of videos online (which look really cool).

So our school is 2 time champions on our local fox news channel Friday morning pep zone. October 6 they are filming the kids at school for their morning Friday "pep zone" segment. My daughter since she is in marching band needs to be at school at 5:30am. My husband jokingly asked if she could just sleep at school. lol

That sounds like lots of fun for the kids!

Has anyone else had homecoming yet? Between the evening parade and pep rally on Thursday and the football game and dance on Friday, I've decided I'm not up for 4 years of this. lol I'm working the concession stand during the game, so I won't see any of the festivities or see the band march. I hear they let the band kids go after half time to get ready for the dance, which may be too bad for DD since I have to stay the whole game (though I'm sure we'll figure something out).

Do any of your kids do indoor percussion? DD is going to play synthesizer this year. I don't know much about it, other than watching a couple of videos online (which look really cool).

That sounds like lots of fun for the kids!

We had homecoming two weekends ago. Our football game is on Friday night with the dance on Saturday night. DD decided two weeks before homecoming dance that she was going to go for sure with her best friend. We had to rush out and find a dress for her. I spent a fortune between the dress, shoes, jewelry, and getting her hair and makeup done but she enjoyed all of it.

Homecoming for our DD is Oct 28, well I'm assuming, as the game is Friday Oct 27. DD is going with her friends, we found a cute dress, earrings, she is wearing her shoes from 8th grade graduation.
She is getting a lot of homework- she went from all standard classes to all honors- so she is getting accustomed to that, but grades look awesome so far.

Our homecoming is in a couple weeks. I'm lucky, in the sense that I have another DD, 8 years older than DD14. So, my younger DD has received many hand-me-down dresses that (a) she loves, and (b) haven't been seen in her HS (since older DD graduated in NH, and we now live in NC). The only thing I have to watch is, younger DD is 4" taller than her sister, and has legs for days--sadly, older DD inherited her mother's Italian hips and thighs. But, I have to make sure the dresses are appropriate on my younger DD. Luckily, the dress she chose for homecoming, I'd had to shorten the spaghetti straps for older DD--I just lengthened them again. It won't always be this easy, but it works for me for now!

There is a homecoming dance? I had no idea! LOL I went to a high school that didn't have a football team so this is all new to me. My DD hasn't mentioned homecoming or a dance so it must not be on her radar. They had an activities fair today so she got to see all the clubs that are offered. She signed up for like 5 of them! 2 of them are community service based so I believe you get to pick what you want to volunteer for so she should hopefully be able to fit most in. As someone else mentioned mine is also getting a lot of homework having gone from standard to honors classes. We were just trying to get something to print that she has to hand in tomorrow!

Our Homecoming was last weekend. Theme outfits all week (Catholic school, so they usually have to wear uniforms), football game Friday and dance Saturday.

DD went to the dance with a group of girlfriends. Their lack of planning about killed me, lol. But several of the girls played in a volleyball tournament, and they didn't know what time they'd be done or how much time they'd need to get ready. It all worked out, and they all looked so grown up and lovely. They had a great time.

I actually got DD's dress on amazon! Great price, and it was just what she wanted. Shoes were on clearance for $7 and earring on clearance for $2! I really lucked out!

Will any of your kids be doing a Disney or Universal trip with their various activities this year? Band is planning one or the other or a combined trip, but we are in October now without solid dates or prices yet. I bought DD tickets to Hamilton in Chicago for Spring Break at a time when I'm sure the band will be back based on the tentative dates (this is a birthday present - the seats I found were too good to pass up), but I'm afraid to buy plane tickets until I know for sure when we can leave.

Last edited:
DS is having Spirit Week this week (today is class color day), ending with Homecoming game tonight and dance tomorrow. He has decided to pass on the dance this year. He didn't have anyone to ask and I'm guessing his friends didn't want to go as a group. He said next year for sure.

Our homecoming was a couple of weeks ago. Game on Friday with the dance on Saturday. DS was at a marching band competition and they knew that they wouldn't be able to go to the dance because of how late they'd be back. DS didn't really care, but I know at least one of his friends was not happy about it.

Will any of your kids be doing a Disney or Universal trip with their various activities this year? Band is planning one or the other or a combined trip, but we are in October now without solid dates or prices yet. I bought DD tickets to Hamilton in Chicago for Spring Break at a time when I'm sure the band will be back based on the tentative dates (this is a birthday present - the seats I found were too good to pass up), but I'm afraid to buy plane tickets until I know for sure when we can leave.

That's frustrating. Last year in middle school, the 7th and 8th grade band members went to Disney during spring break (I chaperoned), but we had set dates and prices in May of the previous year. I don't blame you about not wanting to book flights. Next year (right around Thanksgiving), the marching band is going to southern CA, and I'm hoping we're provided with the info well in advance.

Our first quarter ends next week. So far, so good here grade-wise. Let's just hope all of high school is like this! Oh, and this week the 9th-11th graders took a practice ACT (the seniors took the real one), so it will be interesting to see how he did. He said he didn't finish most of the sections, so I think the practice test will help with time management in the future.

So it has been awhile since the last post. How is every one's kids doing so far with their first year of high school? My daughter finished up her season of Marching band. That was a lot of fun for her and us, as parents cheering them on. Now she has moved on to the winter guard time. She is still doing competition dance at her dance studio so she stays extremely busy. Grades are doing well and she is gearing up for winter finals. I think she will just be happy when those are over. I still can't get her to study for her drivers permit though. She was able to take the test back in October, but she just seems to not care which would normally be fine for me except she needs the permit to enroll her in summer school class for summer of 2018. She will be taking driving lessons at the school.

So it has been awhile since the last post. How is every one's kids doing so far with their first year of high school? My daughter finished up her season of Marching band. That was a lot of fun for her and us, as parents cheering them on. Now she has moved on to the winter guard time. She is still doing competition dance at her dance studio so she stays extremely busy. Grades are doing well and she is gearing up for winter finals. I think she will just be happy when those are over. I still can't get her to study for her drivers permit though. She was able to take the test back in October, but she just seems to not care which would normally be fine for me except she needs the permit to enroll her in summer school class for summer of 2018. She will be taking driving lessons at the school.
DD is doing well. She made high honor roll first term and is still happy with her decision to leave her pre-professional ballet school and be a ‘regular high schooler.’
She is missing the annual Nutcracker rehearsals a little bit though. Her friends of similar ability are all in Waltz of the Flowers this year which is a favorite of both DD and myself. I would have loved seeing her in that number and I know she would have both enjoyed and been challenged by the choreography.
She has auditions for Legally Blonde on Wednesday. Fingers crossed that she gets SOMETHING or I think she will be crushed.
You have to be 16 to get a permit in MA, so we’re a ways out from that, thank goodness. I hate that process.

Both finished out the soccer season, dd is running winter track, ds freshman basketball, dd has hung up her dance shoes after 9 years, so much more free time. High honor roll for dd, ds missed with an 89. Ds still has winter league soccer. Both seem to be struggling a bit with algebra 2, and they are in different classes learning different things. In the past, they worked on math together. Both have a solid C, trying to convince them to ask for a peer tutor (ironically dd16 was asked to be one).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter