Class of 2021 Parents

I wanted to do some stocking stuffers/gifts for my DD for Christmas. i want to do a "dorm room" gift. Any ideas? We got a comforter set online black friday for a great deal already.
Mini sewing kit, flashlight (in case power goes out and their phone dies), plugin air fresheners. I can't remember what else I got my DS20 when he was a HS senior but I'll need to remember soon, lol.

Time to toss the cap! DS finished HS today! Without fanfare, pomp, or circumstance, just the final day of online school. And then he went to work a shift at his job. 🤣 He went in to school yesterday to officially ‘check out’ and turn in textbooks, get info about walking at graduation, etc. There are 33 December graduates and the staff made a big deal over them as they went through the process. We surprised him with a cake, balloons, and a graduation sign in the yard. Announcements are addressed and ready to be dropped in the mail after the new year. So it’s in to the workforce for the next year and as a foreigner he’ll have to register for university in person in Buenos Aires in October, then classes will begin in March 2022. He’ll target his move date somewhere in between there. So I will bow out of this thread now, but will definitely be checking in for updates, acceptances, and all of the exciting stuff. It is my most fervent wish that everyone will get an in person graduation this spring! On the sunniest, most beautiful day of the year. Best of luck to all of our students and please know that I can’t wait to hear about your kid’s successes!

Wow, congrats to your DS! We don't have that option here because you need 4 years of Math and English -- so, even if you took 2 math classes your junior year, you still have to take one your senior year. I think DS wishes he would've just taken AP Statistics this year, although he won't admit it. He took AP Calculus last year and then instead of taking AP Stats at school, he took Calculus II via Dual Enrollment. Well, of course as a college class that's just one semester so he has take another one next semester. He thought he'd take it easy by doing Statistics/Probability next semester, but he was informed by his guidance counselor that he can't go out of sequence, so it's Calculus III, Linear Algebra or something else -- so Calc III it is. Ugh.

How exciting for your DS that he'll be living in another country! What does he plan on majoring in?

Wow, congrats to your DS! We don't have that option here because you need 4 years of Math and English -- so, even if you took 2 math classes your junior year, you still have to take one your senior year. I think DS wishes he would've just taken AP Statistics this year, although he won't admit it. He took AP Calculus last year and then instead of taking AP Stats at school, he took Calculus II via Dual Enrollment. Well, of course as a college class that's just one semester so he has take another one next semester. He thought he'd take it easy by doing Statistics/Probability next semester, but he was informed by his guidance counselor that he can't go out of sequence, so it's Calculus III, Linear Algebra or something else -- so Calc III it is. Ugh.

How exciting for your DS that he'll be living in another country! What does he plan on majoring in?
Same here. DS took precalc and AP stats last year and still needed to take one this year so he's taking AP calc. The only class he really needed to graduate was English.

Same here. DS took precalc and AP stats last year and still needed to take one this year so he's taking AP calc. The only class he really needed to graduate was English.
Dd took AP stat and precalculus sophomore year, has AP BC calculus this year, but not only 4 years of English, but my kids need 4 years of PE (even though they have 4 years of 3 season sports).

Dd took AP stat and precalculus sophomore year, has AP BC calculus this year, but not only 4 years of English, but my kids need 4 years of PE (even though they have 4 years of 3 season sports).
Wow, that's something I never heard of (recently - I took gym all through high school because we had to). My kids had to take one semester gym and one health in 9th grade and then were done. Mine were three-season athletes too but this was the requirement for everyone.

Wow, that's something I never heard of (recently - I took gym all through high school because we had to). My kids had to take one semester gym and one health in 9th grade and then were done. Mine were three-season athletes too but this was the requirement for everyone.
It really stinks! Before they switched to block schedules my oldest went years without a lunch to take more classes (although one if my kids didn’t play high school sports, the other four did every year). I think there should be a waiver.

That's nuts. Our school system requires 1.5 years (3 semesters), but the .5 can be waived if they participated in a sport or physical extracurricular like marching band.

I can do this one better. At my older DD's school, she had gym last period. She ran cross country. If she missed gym, due to leaving early to attend a meet, she had to make up the gym class. After school. Before she had to run another 6 miles at cross country practice. Even worse in DD's case, she also took 8 dance classes a week. But, really, let's worry about her making up a gym class!

Wanna wish a Merry Christmas to all and a happy New year!!! Hopefully 2021 will be better, because I'm over 2020!!!
In better news, DD got acceptance letters back from all 6 colleges she applied for and with some great merit money!! We'll take it! now she has to decide. :)

Wanna wish a Merry Christmas to all and a happy New year!!! Hopefully 2021 will be better, because I'm over 2020!!!
In better news, DD got acceptance letters back from all 6 colleges she applied for and with some great merit money!! We'll take it! now she has to decide. :)
Congrats! DS has gotten into three so far and is waiting to hear from the other two. I may be more impatient than he is to know where he’ll decide on!

Well, not much going on with DD still virtual, however they are supposed to go back to a hybrid schedule(2 days in school, 3 virtual) on April 6th, we'll see what happens with that. DD is getting tired of virtual- mentally just resigned that senior year is done. It's so sad. She's just ready to move on to college, and it should NOT be that way. But nothing we can do.
On a another happier note, she has decided on a college, we just have to make the deposit- St. Mary's College of Maryland- this has been her first choice since day 1, kind of knew it would be the one. It's 2 hrs 15min away. She's so excited for it.

Dd recently got into UMD, Clemson, James Madison honors (don’t know about honors for the other two), Pitt gave her $5000 so off of her list, Temple is her best OOS financially but I think she doesn’t want to be in Philadelphia. Unfortunately the majority of colleges haven’t been visited. UMASS is high on her list, I don’t know that much about it.

Dd recently got into UMD, Clemson, James Madison honors (don’t know about honors for the other two), Pitt gave her $5000 so off of her list, Temple is her best OOS financially but I think she doesn’t want to be in Philadelphia. Unfortunately the majority of colleges haven’t been visited. UMASS is high on her list, I don’t know that much about it.
Yes, mine got a lot of merit money for all of them, but her heart is set on St. Mary's. She likes the smaller schools and it's an honors college, and on the bay, perfect for her environmental science/biology major. I'm happy she is so excited about it. :)

I know it's not the same, has she been able to do any virtual tours? Mine visited all the ones she applied for, we were happy she got to do that at least.

Well, not much going on with DD still virtual, however they are supposed to go back to a hybrid schedule(2 days in school, 3 virtual) on April 6th, we'll see what happens with that. DD is getting tired of virtual- mentally just resigned that senior year is done. It's so sad. She's just ready to move on to college, and it should NOT be that way. But nothing we can do.
On a another happier note, she has decided on a college, we just have to make the deposit- St. Mary's College of Maryland- this has been her first choice since day 1, kind of knew it would be the one. It's 2 hrs 15min away. She's so excited for it.

Yep still virtual here, with talks of a hybrid option to begin in March...but with my kids it might be April as I hear it's a phased approach. My 18yo is anxious to get SOME kind of senior year...but we will see what happens...is it worth going back for only a month or two really? I chose to stay virtual for my 16yo HS junior. CONGRATS on the college decision.

Congrats on all of those!

Yes, mine got a lot of merit money for all of them, but her heart is set on St. Mary's. She likes the smaller schools and it's an honors college, and on the bay, perfect for her environmental science/biology major. I'm happy she is so excited about it. :)

This is aweseome!

My dd has applied at a few schools but her top right now is WVU...and happens to be she is dating a guy from there. They have given her all kinds of money based on her GPA and she also applied and got into Honors College there. She applied to Towson for the fun of it...but has no interest. She also applied to UM College Park...and found out Friday she was accepted there also. I already know she has her heart set on WVU and it is the only school she has really visited in person. I guess I just need to wait for her to accept there.

Well, paid the deposit for my daughter for St. Mary's. Her cousin is also going there(I think she is scared so wanted to go with my daughter). We did a little photo shoot for them last weekend. My daughter is the dark haired one. She is so ready. They go back to school for 2 days in person/
3 will be virtual starting April 6, with the senior last day being May 21. So 14 days of a senior year. :( No basketball(winter sports cancelled), they said they will try and have a senior night for winter sports. We'll see. At this point they do have a graduation scheduled. We'll see if that happens too. I don't want to get excited for anything, because this whole year has been horrible.

Attachments

• college pics.jpg
    college pics.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 13
Yep still virtual here, with talks of a hybrid option to begin in March...but with my kids it might be April as I hear it's a phased approach. My 18yo is anxious to get SOME kind of senior year...but we will see what happens...is it worth going back for only a month or two really? I chose to stay virtual for my 16yo HS junior. CONGRATS on the college decision.

Congrats on all of those!

This is aweseome!

My dd has applied at a few schools but her top right now is WVU...and happens to be she is dating a guy from there. They have given her all kinds of money based on her GPA and she also applied and got into Honors College there. She applied to Towson for the fun of it...but has no interest. She also applied to UM College Park...and found out Friday she was accepted there also. I already know she has her heart set on WVU and it is the only school she has really visited in person. I guess I just need to wait for her to accept there.
My daughter got a lot from WVU. She goth nothing from Rutgers (known for giving very little to in state students), but a lot from SUNY Binghamton bringing it below Rutgers, might drive up spring break to walk the campus. Her twin brother is pretty set on Rutgers, dd19 has a few close guy friends there off campus so she’ll bring her siblings there for a weekend to at least check out the party scene. Even with merit the rest are $5000 - $8000 more a year.

Well my daughter has settled on WVU. She did get accepted to UMCP and they gave her the Presidential Scholarship as well ($5K/year) but she really wanted to go to WVU so deposits for tuition and housing are done AND she has a roommate already who lives in MD also!

In our county, hybrid school starts next week for my kids but only one (my senior) is going back. Mon/Tue there is middle school and Thu/Fri is high school since their school has both. We had to attend a MANDATORY zoom call with the school for parents with kids attending hybrid learning. What a cluster that was for sure, 90 minutes I can't get back in my life with all of the ridiculous questions. Sorry but there ARE stupid questions and the principal who was running it really should have taken some of those questions offline. It does not look like a very "fun" experience but my daughter wants to try it so we'll see how that goes.

Well my daughter has settled on WVU. She did get accepted to UMCP and they gave her the Presidential Scholarship as well ($5K/year) but she really wanted to go to WVU so deposits for tuition and housing are done AND she has a roommate already who lives in MD also!

In our county, hybrid school starts next week for my kids but only one (my senior) is going back. Mon/Tue there is middle school and Thu/Fri is high school since their school has both. We had to attend a MANDATORY zoom call with the school for parents with kids attending hybrid learning. What a cluster that was for sure, 90 minutes I can't get back in my life with all of the ridiculous questions. Sorry but there ARE stupid questions and the principal who was running it really should have taken some of those questions offline. It does not look like a very "fun" experience but my daughter wants to try it so we'll see how that goes.
That's great about the school!!!

I'm so over virtual/hybrid/new norm/covid I swear I never want to hear those words again. ughh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter