Class of 2021 Parents

GOOD NEWS for a change. My DS was informed today that they WILL be having in-person commencement (YEA!). They are doing a survey now to decide if it will be 4 smaller groups but up to 6 guests, or the whole class of '21 but only 4 guests. I told him it is about them; whole class and no guests would be fine by me. Call me a cynic, I still only 1/2 believe this will happen.

It’s so great to see everyone’s updates! It hurts to hear of no graduations/celebrations for some though. DS decided to walk at graduation and just this week the ticket limit increased from 2 to 4, so his brother can now attend. Prom will be in the gym, strictly seniors only, no outside dates. The guys are going to get tuxes tomorrow. The school is also having a diploma car parade in the school parking lot where they are encouraged to decorate their cars. He was accepted at our state’s flagship and we paid the deposit and then deferred for a year. This is just the backup in case something goes wrong with his foreign plans. He is happily working his warehouse job, saving money up like a crazy person, and just got promoted to full-time with a raise. And I’m busy figuring out the best way to make a ‘money cake’ for graduation day!

Ok so they are going back to school next week, 5 days a week from 9 - 1:30! The senior celebration run by the school will be in June at a soccer field with food trucks, games and a DJ, the faux prom is at a banquet hall, might have close to 200 people, dinner, dj, formal, nothing to do with school, prom weekend is after, they hosted their own decision day, met in a parking lot and drove around, soccer pizza parties were Monday for girls, Tuesday for boys, a skeleton event compared to the normal end of season combined catered dinner. Outdoor gatherings are now unlimited so hoping for a normal graduation.

So, DD was invited to a prom party by one of her friends(her school is not having one), it's a small party with about 35 kids, but at a hall. So she will get to wear her dress, take pics and dance with some friends. I'll take it. She's so excited.

I wish my daughter and her friends had done something like this. There is no prom and they are bummed that they didn't get one.

There will be no parents allowed at their graduation this year :( Dd heads to her University for summer term on 5/14. She was going to skip high school graduation since no one can be there, but she's one of the top 16 students in her class of 500 and they pick graduation speakers from those 16. If she's picked, she'll come back. Otherwise, she'll stay at her university. Is anyone on this thread getting a "normal" graduation this year?

I wish my daughter and her friends had done something like this. There is no prom and they are bummed that they didn't get one.

There will be no parents allowed at their graduation this year :( Dd heads to her University for summer term on 5/14. She was going to skip high school graduation since no one can be there, but she's one of the top 16 students in her class of 500 and they pick graduation speakers from those 16. If she's picked, she'll come back. Otherwise, she'll stay at her university. Is anyone on this thread getting a "normal" graduation this year?
I was completly shocked, she's not that close with the girls- school friends (they're twins), but she said she don't care she's going.

Ughhhh, sorry to hear that.
They divided DD's senior class into 2 part(420 total- so about 210ish each graduation ceremony), and they are having at a local university's event arena(5200 seating), they each get 2 tickets.

My DD turned 18 today, and she celebrated by making cookies for the entire IB class (25 kids--I may have said 35 earlier). She can't give them out in school, so she sent out a group text saying, "meet me at my car after English". IB is having their own prom--I joked with her that she was shamelessly buying votes for prom queen! (Technically, she's nominated, but she has no illusions that she would actually get it. Which is fine--she's a great kid, regardless.)

Ds18 is having an in-person graduation too, at a minor league ballpark we have in town. Unless it rains and then they have a rain date for a virtual/drive up thing, so please cross your fingers for no rain! Only three tickets per kid which is fine for us because extended family isn’t coming and it’s just me, DH and DS20.

He’s got two more weeks of classes left and two more AP tests to go. They delivered yard signs this week so it’s all feeling very real. He committed to a college and one of his friends who he’s known since pre-K is also going there and got into the same living and learning community so they’re going to plan to request each other as roommates. A bunch of DS’s friends are going there too (it’s a large state school about an hour away), including one of his best friends.

He is fully vaccinated and most of his friend group is on their way to that too, so they’ve started planning some small, outdoor 18th birthday parties and “alternative prom” activities since there is no prom or senior picnic this year. About time for them to safely be able to have some fun.

Our school is having "Senior Skip Day", where all the seniors hang out at a pier. My DD has opted to...go to school, because they're doing forensics in her Bio class, and she doesn't want to miss it. Do kids get any geekier than that?:rotfl2:
Nope, my kid is a geek too. He had senior skip day last week. He’s still doing virtual school but skipped that....and instead took his two-hour college math placement exam. Lol.

Last edited:
My daughter at the little parent planned senior prom. All of our county proms were cancelled, so a lot of parents planned them on their own. This was her junior prom dress we had from last year that got cancelled too, so she was able to actually wear it!
She said there was about 30 kids there, but had a great time.

Attachments

• prom2.jpg
    prom2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 18
Your DD looks great!

Our mini-prom is Wed. My poor DD is recovering from getting her wisdom teeth removed last Friday, I hope she's in good shape for Wed. The prom is just the IB kids and dates, it's being held at a classy barn/wedding venue that is very open and has outdoor space, as well. It sounds very nice.

Your DD looks great!

Our mini-prom is Wed. My poor DD is recovering from getting her wisdom teeth removed last Friday, I hope she's in good shape for Wed. The prom is just the IB kids and dates, it's being held at a classy barn/wedding venue that is very open and has outdoor space, as well. It sounds very nice.

That’s smart to schedule her wisdom teeth out before she leaves for college. We ran out of time. We moved DD in for summer term on campus last weekend and she’s scheduled for her wisdom teeth removal over Christmas break. Terrible way to spend the holiday.

Your DD looks great!

Thanks so much!!!

Hopefully she'll feel better soon! And hope she has a good time!!!!

That’s smart to schedule her wisdom teeth out before she leaves for college. We ran out of time. We moved DD in for summer term on campus last weekend and she’s scheduled for her wisdom teeth removal over Christmas break. Terrible way to spend the holiday.
Yeah, that sucks. I hope it's after actual Christmas, so she can enjoy the feast and cookies and stuff. FWIW, 3 days out, my DD is off the pain meds and more interested in regular food.

DD was supposed to be done in March, but then they postponed. Luckily, it was after IB exams, and before her AP exam (which is June 6--after graduation!). She's up to eating pancakes, but she still has a huge yellow bruise on the side of her face.

Yeah, that sucks. I hope it's after actual Christmas, so she can enjoy the feast and cookies and stuff. FWIW, 3 days out, my DD is off the pain meds and more interested in regular food.

DD was supposed to be done in March, but then they postponed. Luckily, it was after IB exams, and before her AP exam (which is June 6--after graduation!). She's up to eating pancakes, but she still has a huge yellow bruise on the side of her face.
My son was planning on getting it done over Christmas break. He went for his consult, and comes home and tells me it’s scheduled for 12/23. I’m guessing no one else wanted that day! I made him call and reschedule.

My son was planning on getting it done over Christmas break. He went for his consult, and comes home and tells me it’s scheduled for 12/23. I’m guessing no one else wanted that day! I made him call and reschedule.

Lol. My daughter is scheduled for 12/23.

Prom tonight, and my DD can eat real food again! She's very excited.

DD wrote a note to each of the kids in her IB cohort, telling each one how much he/she means to her. Many of them cried, they were so touched. On a related note, the IB kids did their own "senior superlatives", and my DD got "nicest" and "most outgoing".

On Sat., IB has a luncheon/awards ceremony that will be held at a local resort, partly outdoors. Luckily, most will be inside--it's supposed to be close to 90 degrees, I do NOT want to be outside for 3 hours!

We are missing DD like crazy. We moved her in for summer term since she's a student athlete and needs to train with the team. We spent a small fortune getting her room set up the way she wanted it. She says her room is the hang out room for the first floor bedrooms in her house :) We made sure she had a big TV, her Xbox, and lots and lots of candy. Dd didn't get voted to give the graduation speech for her high school so she won't make the trip home for graduation. We'll fly out to see her at the end of July when she turns 18. The coaches thought she might have a week break in August so she'll hopefully get to come home for a few days. We are empty nesters now and I am NOT liking it. I am trying to only text or call DD once a day. It's so hard not having her close by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter