Class of 2023 Parents

It's weird to think that scheduling for next year is already taking place, but it looks like next year's schedule is now complete for my son. Looks like 4 honors classes for next year - Chemistry, Analysis (basically Trig/Pre-Calc), Spanish 3 and AP Computer Science. He debated taking APUSH, but thought it would be too much.

Parent scheduling meeting already occurred, and we signed off on form. Students meet with guidance counsellors next week, so we aren’t much behind you.

Just finding this thread - my youngest is a freshman and class of 2023 (My oldest is 2022)

Scrolled back through a little but skimmed, and will save the thread now.

Our high school did scheduling for next year a couple weeks ago. This year feels like it has gone incredibly fast! He adjusted to high school well, maintained his primary friend group since 7th grade (I don't know how - his class is near 500 kids and that didn't even happen in my tiny one of 240something) He's found things he likes to do, and I'm proud of how he's worked at keeping his grades up. He puts in way more effort than my oldest, the king of coasting, LOL!

He took an A/V Tech class this year and LOVES it. They make videos, learn to green screen, edit, etc...He'll be continuing that next year and I can see him choosing it as a career path. Before high school he was set on getting a business degree (he just liked the idea of it, lol) but this has opened him up to other things. He's not outgoing at all, but this has at least pushed him out of his comfort zone, and he's good at it.

He also had his first appointment with a therapist yesterday. It took a while to get him to agree, but his anxiety is off the charts. His depression isn’t quite as severe, but he deserves to be happy. I often wonder how much different my life would be if my own issues had been addressed in high school. I hate that he has seen me struggle and thinks that is just the way life is. We have tried since 1st grade to take away the toxicity and fear of medical terms (cancer and depression especially) to keep his life as normal as possible. We just let this part go a little too long. Sorry. Probably over sharing, but this stay at home mom of an only child spends a lot of time thinking about said child.

My oldest is diagnosed with depression and anxiety and spent a week last year in inpatient care. The past year has been rough, he barely passed his freshman year, but after regular therapy and finally getting his prescription right (third try was the charm), he's doing great! Grades are good and he's participating in life again. Just wanted to share and let you know you're not alone - it's one of the hardest things to deal with as a parent, not being able to "fix" things. He's one of those outgoing, everybody is his friend kind of kids, and no one could believe he was struggling so much. I hope your son is continuing therapy and that it works well for him :hug:

Just finding this thread - my youngest is a freshman and class of 2023 (My oldest is 2022)

Scrolled back through a little but skimmed, and will save the thread now.

Our high school did scheduling for next year a couple weeks ago. This year feels like it has gone incredibly fast! He adjusted to high school well, maintained his primary friend group since 7th grade (I don't know how - his class is near 500 kids and that didn't even happen in my tiny one of 240something) He's found things he likes to do, and I'm proud of how he's worked at keeping his grades up. He puts in way more effort than my oldest, the king of coasting, LOL!

He took an A/V Tech class this year and LOVES it. They make videos, learn to green screen, edit, etc...He'll be continuing that next year and I can see him choosing it as a career path. Before high school he was set on getting a business degree (he just liked the idea of it, lol) but this has opened him up to other things. He's not outgoing at all, but this has at least pushed him out of his comfort zone, and he's good at it.

My oldest is diagnosed with depression and anxiety and spent a week last year in inpatient care. The past year has been rough, he barely passed his freshman year, but after regular therapy and finally getting his prescription right (third try was the charm), he's doing great! Grades are good and he's participating in life again. Just wanted to share and let you know you're not alone - it's one of the hardest things to deal with as a parent, not being able to "fix" things. He's one of those outgoing, everybody is his friend kind of kids, and no one could believe he was struggling so much. I hope your son is continuing therapy and that it works well for him :hug:
Thank you, @xlsm. I am glad your son is doing better. I can’t imagine how scary that was for you.

It is just so hard watching him spiral and think he doesn’t deserve better. We knew from an early age that he was very empathetic with a much higher emotional intelligence than his peers. He always hides his mess pretty well, too. The teachers and counselors we told were surprised because he is doing so well all around in HS, but not surprised because they are with teens all day lol.

Big morning in our household - the braces finally come off! :yay::yay: The appointment got pushed back twice now, so the anticipation has been killing my son - but after about 4 years, he's finally done.

That is a big day.

Yesterday DD was to get a crown but the dentists office called to say that he was out sick and needed to reschedule. Not 15 minutes later DD texts me to say that her temporary crown cracked :sad2: His assistant got her in and seen, all is good until it can be replaced next week.

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before. My 2nd oldest of four is class of 2023 (her older sister being class of 2022 and two younger siblings still in elementary school). I can't believe we're already staring down the final months of their freshman year! I can't be the only one who thinks this year went extremely fast?!

High has been good for her. Her grades improved from Jr. High. She's happy and enjoying her classes. They signed up for next year's classes last month and seems happy with her choices. She's a classically trained ballerina and dances about 15-20 hours a week so that takes much of her free time. But her real passion is art - drawing/sketching mostly and she's amazing at it. Currently thinking of going to art school after graduation, but she has time.

How did your kids do in the distant learning?

One of my girls loved it, other one hated it. They have 3 instructional days.

Distance learning has been a pretty big fail in my house—at times even gut wrenching. Football and classroom learning are a priority for us for fall. We will consider all reasonable options if distance learning becomes the status quo.

What a school year! Distance learning was tough. My son ended up getting getting an incomplete in one class and he has no idea why so he is virtual summer school for an elective. The other classes he did okay but he really missed going to school. I am happy it is summer time.

Distance learning has been a pretty big fail in my house—at times even gut wrenching. Football and classroom learning are a priority for us for fall. We will consider all reasonable options if distance learning becomes the status quo.
What options would you consider reasonable? Genuinely curious. Distance learning was challenging for us as well. He had one class on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday and 4 classes on Wednesday. Two overlapped. It was super stressful for me to make sure he was awake and ready to go because he was fighting to stay on a school schedule when it felt like summer. We don’t know what the fall is going to look like.

Online learning was a little rough at times. Fortunately, our son managed through it and maintained a 4.0 for the year, so he was pretty pleased. No official word on the plans for the fall, beyond the school mentioning that they were installing video cameras in all the classrooms in order to either stream and/or record lectures throughout the year. I'm not sure if that means they are going to some sort of flex schedule or just have it in place in case they have students become ill during the year.

Son is looking forward to soccer starting up - as of right now, they seem to still be on track to begin practices in mid-July, but we'll see.

Distance learning was a failure at all grade levels in our house. Once they found out that everything was optional nothing was done. Our high schooler pulled out decent grades. Our middle schooler was hurt the most. Her grades were just starting to rebound when everything shut down March 13th, so all grades with the exception of orchestra are Cs. Our two in elementary school have A-C grades, but that can be attributed to not putting in effort or not turning in assignments. I wish that there had been an option to improve grades in our district but there wasn't. Basing grades on Jan-mid-March wasn't fair.

No word on next year. Parent surveys were sent out. Possible hybrid learning. My, I'm continuing to work from home until at least mid-August but no clue how I'll balance work and kid school if that's what fall brings.

What options would you consider reasonable? Genuinely curious. Distance learning was challenging for us as well. He had one class on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday and 4 classes on Wednesday. Two overlapped. It was super stressful for me to make sure he was awake and ready to go because he was fighting to stay on a school schedule when it felt like summer. We don’t know what the fall is going to look like.
We expect to find out in the next week if we move to a state with fewer restrictions. Our baseline for an acceptable offer has lowered due to concerns for school. DH and I have discussed amongst ourselves letting ds live with my parents. Even my sister’s state has fewer restrictions than we do, and they were part of the “epicenter.” We never would have considered my son living with family before, but his needs are a priority. We cannot have an entire year like the last 3 months. Depending on the details, an alternating schedule may work if extracurriculars aren’t cancelled. Homeschooling is not reasonable for us for a bunch of reasons that don’t really matter to others.

I am sorry your family is still struggling to complete the school year, and the unknowns for fall are heart wrenching as a parent.

My girls did very well in school. I'm upset about one of my daughters grades. She had a B first and second quarter, A 3rd and 4th quarter yet final grade in the class is a B. Teacher basically said have her come see her in August when school starts to try and see why.

Right now it is kind of scary in Southern Florida. My girls restarted soccer. Their team is great. All the girls wear mask to get on the field. Their coach is not having the girls clean up the cones, no more pinnies given out at practice.
Yet there is another club that practices at the same park. They are not social distancing. Not having a check in with temp check like my girls club.

HI, I just found this thread and wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I am Tammy and the mama to a rising sophmore this coming fall. My daughter B is homeschooled and takes a number of online courses and is involved in different groups including writing groups with people all over the world. She is studying Japanese as her primary foreign language along with some American Sign Language and French as secondary languages.
She is currently involved in 4-H club but due to problems we have had with one of the other parents in the club (to put it mildly this person verbally attacked my child in front of everyone both adults and children over B stating that she choose to talk about a topic for her requirements because there were some who felt that issue was too hard and complicated and she wanted to show that it was easy and simple-btw it had to do with a style of cooking and this adult felt that B was attacking adult). At this point I do not know for certain but there is a chance of some of us including the family of one of her good friends starting another smaller group.
If B who is my first had her way she would not be in anything except the online groups but I have made a rule that she has to be in at least one activity outside the home and not just the week of theater that our homeschool group does. This year she is not too keen on the title we have been assigned by the group that comes in and assists the kids with pulling off a musical from casting on Monday to a non make up dress rehersal on Friday with a full dress rehersal including make up and performance on Saturday. As a freshman B had the only solo in the production which she has performed in since her 1st grade year (out of all those years there has only been a solo in one other production and a duet in one all the rest have either been small ensambles or the full cast of 50-60 kids).
We are in a holding pattern to see if we are going to be able to have the kids perform this fall or if it is waiting till Spring as well as if there is going to be a full cast or a cast of half the numbers. This will cut more of the younger ages in the group as those tend to be more ensamble roles and the individual roles tend to go to the older ones due mainly to the sizing of the costumes. (The organization leaves after our group is done and is at the next location the following week usually arriving at a host family or hotel provided by the sponsoring organization on Sunday to start with the next group on Monday). We have had some stay over till Sunday but that was on years that the schedule had them only going a few hours away and our host family told them to stay another night with us instead of getting a hotel room since you can make the drive in such a short time.
B is an awesome older sister to to her younger sister S who is a rising 7th grader but technically due to disabilities is on level of a 2nd grader. B provides a lot of the tech support when updates put in changes on S's communication app that we don't want like autofill on the keyboard when S is supposed to be using the keyboard to type out spelling words (S is non verbal with motor delays as well so hand writing the 10 words a week is not an option thus needing to type them out).
We have a small acerage in MT that is neighbored by my parents and siblings. It is what is remaining of land homesteaded by my great grandfather (my dad's grandpa on his father's side). B is learning to help with some of the upkeep of having land though we are looking at having to get a smaller weed eater than my dad's huge gas powered one so she can operate it. We did a couple of day trips in May this year to a nearby resort town about an hour away and a drive into WY on one of them. B and I are hoping that we can pull off a trip over the pass and into Yellowstone over a weekend in September. I need to find out we are having my dad's birthday party on the weekend before or the weekend after his birthday since it falls in the middle of the week. Either that or just plan for the weekend that is not one of those and not over labor day. Nice thing about homeschooling is we can travel when prices are lower in the off season.

My DS‘s distance learning was a lot of work. They had virtual classes everyday. He did well but likes in person learning better. Even being able to sleep more didn’t make home learning more appealing.He signed up for the SAT science test so we will see how well he learned.His school is not sure what will happen in the fall.

How is everyone doing? Are you Sophomore's virtual or in person?

My girls are still virtual ( e-learning) but today was the first day back in class for 10, 11 &12th graders. Students who went in were going to be doing the same thing they would be doing at home, just at school including bring in their own device.

DD1 broke her big toe over the summer, so spent most of the summer in a boot. She is back to running track/ cross country. But we have no clue how meets will work. Our county and the 2 next to us are not participating in the fall sports through the Florida High school sports so they will do something between the 3 counties. Not sure how soccer tryouts will work, especially since the school had to temporarily stop cheerleading. A girl who was at tryouts on Monday tested positive for Covid. Rumour is that she went to tryouts while waiting for test results since her boyfriend was positive.

It's been an interesting start to 10th grade, that's for sure!

DD has been back partially in-person (hybrid) since 9/8. It's going fairly well. They split the schedule and are only doing 4 classes this fall, and will do the other 4 in the spring. So a full-year course will be done in 1 semester; 1 semester classes will be done in a quarter. They essentially have their block schedule every day, with remote doing the same as in-person. It's odd to think she's almost half-through a year's worth of math and science!

She's also on the volleyball team. Fall sports were condensed into 3-4 weeks for most, and no post-season. We don't yet have guidance for winter sports. That's expected at the end of the month, with practices to start after Thanksgiving and no games until January.

Son started the year (a week or so late) hybrid, going two days a week, virtual (live lectures) two days and Wednesdays off.

This week, they started back to full 5-day in person. So far, it seems to be going ok. They did have a couple positive cases last week and they have some others quarantining due to those positives.

We actually played a full regular soccer season (16 games). Playoffs start next Tuesday. Would have liked a few more wins, but just the fact that they played a whole season was pretty amazing. Son started and played just about every minute of every game (except when he had to come off for yellow cards :o ). He's hoping to be named a captain next year - coach usually has two seniors and one junior as his captains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter