• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CLOSED (I'm going solo) Should I cancel or go solo???

Paddy Pat

Earning My Ears
I have split from a relationship (which was somewhat mutual). The issue I have is a booked reservation 8/21-8/27. It's a split stay between AKL & BRV. We had just got back from WDW last month. I am a huge Disney fan for various reasons. But, I am having a hard time thinking of going alone, or just being alone. I've thought of a solo trip. Also thought of shorting the trip as well. I just can't convince myself to doing it. I really don't know if I'll have a good time solo, (not being lonely). I know I have 30 days prior to cancel without loosing my points, but that's not the issue. Thoughts if any???

Go solo. You'll still have a blast and you can always find people to meet with in the Solo section of these boards. Disney seems to be accommodating to everyone, in my limited experience.

I agree. You can have a great time on your own. More depressing to cancel. Vacation will do wonders!

Not exactly the same but back in 2007 DH bailed on me after he made it into a rodeo-type (team penning) finals. We had rented DVC points so our reservation was non-refundable. At first I couldn't even imagine going on my own but after a lot of back and forth I sucked it up and did it.

I won't say I was 100% comfortable 100% of the time (Table service is still a challenge.) but it was actually pretty great. I did what I liked when I wanted to do it. I even stepped waaaay outside of my comfort zone and met up with another Disser.

That was ten years ago and I now have dozens of solo adventures under my belt and am still friends with my first DIS meet up pal :-)

I ended up going solo last year after ending a relationship and it ended up being a great trip and exactly what I needed. I would recommend you go.

Go solo! And then do a trip report about all the restaurants, attractions, character meet-n-greets, etc that you were able to do :sunny:

Go solo! I did a solo trip back in 2015 and it turned out to be a very positive eye opening experience, I had way more fun than I thought I would, go have fun!

I think the key question is can you afford the trip solo? The hotel will be the same price for one or two. The other expenses are significantly less for one than two. My DW passed away last October as we were returning from Florida (beach, not Disney). I am looking forward to a solo trip this November. I actually think it will be healing to have a good vacation by myself. Have a magical trip.

Could you bring a friend or family member? I agree with all the "go solo" votes too, but personally I think I might feel lonely there alone. My cousin went alone once when she was down there for work and she called us a bunch that day from MK saying how she missed us and how sad it felt to not have anyone to talk to or joke with. She still talks about how lonely she felt there by herself. I think I'd be like my cousin in that way. Sounds like plenty of other people love going alone and have amazing trips. You have to know yourself to know if it will be a hit or a miss to go alone for you.

My recommendation is to keep the trip and go solo, but try to meet someone off DIS if you could and/or participate in hotel activities to meet others.

I have a similar situation, was supposed to go in 10 days with my best friend but now she won't go. So I know the dilemma. I have done solo trips before and people are right they are great, but not the same when you were expecting to do it with someone. I will do the trip solo, I think sometimes I will not enjoy as much as I could because they're things I wanted to share with my best friend that won't happen. But there is also this community of people, I already talk to someone here who will spend the first weekend I'm here with me in the parks, so that will help.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions. Maybe I was on the fence about going, but I think everyone is right about venturing solo. It's not a financial issue at all. Everyone knows the comfort level traveling with another. I have never traveled solo. Thank you to everyone for their input. Guess I can start the count down, lol...

PLEASE DO GO SOLO!!! my alone time at WDW is sometimes my favorite. I can actually sit on Main Street and people watch for a few hours. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter