Closing a popular ride??????

I think you guys are conflating TCM and the parent company and older licensing agreements that existed with the opening of the ride.
Yeah, obviously they've had the licensing rights to the movies in it since '89 when the ride opened. The TCM partnership just changed the narration, pre-show and ending movie.

In my opinion.... GMR was done many many years ago!!! Should have been pulled out of there 15 years ago! Way too much is so outdated, so many people have never seen those movies. If they had updated it every few years to keep it more current it may have lived longer. But it's time..... Bye-Bye!!

What about toystory? The muppet movie?

It gets to a point where you look at what a park has to offer and what you want to do again, and then decide its not worth going there. For example, we visited AK last year for the first time. There are a couple of things that we enjoyed and would do again, but to us it doesn't justify burning a day of our non-hopper tickets.

I'm afraid DHS is becoming that way at least for a little while. It will be different when TSL and SWL open up. My daughter loves DHS, but if it was up to me, we would skip DHS on our next trip. There are only four attractions/shows that we really want to do again.

Great American Movie Ride and backlot tour. Now there will be none. Even if it just a few, it's nice to have some to ride.

Add Lights Motors Action to that list. I really enjoyed that show and was glad I got to see it a month before it closed.

If nothing else, attractions like that give you time to rest and help spread out the crowds.

What is sad to me is that parks that have a non-MK theme, like Epcot and DHS, are slowly turning into MK-lite. Its ok to be different. Its ok NOT to be like MK.

With all that Florida land, I just wish they would add rides only and not replace.

Absolutely true! There may be attractions that aren't E Ticket Rides, like Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress, but by keeping them, you allow for rides for folks who either do not want to or can not go on Space Mountain or other rides. Plus, the more attractions you have, the more the ever-growing crowds are spread out!

Last edited:
I welcome a Mickey attraction at DHS. When you think about it, it's kind of amazing that there really are no Mickey themed rides anywhere at WDW. TGMR was fun when it opened, but it has gotten long in the tooth. At least when they did the TCM partnership they finally updated the closing movie a little bit. The animatronics are especially dated, and I look forward to seeing what they put in its place.

My favorite thing about it has always been the Chinese theater theming, so I do hope that remains.

As they say, nothing is forever. When the studios opened it had an animation branch, a functional backlot and active tv and film production. It was as much a working studio as it was theme park. All that has been gone for a while, so it makes sense that the rest of the park changes along with it. In 2015 Iger said they would probably rename it, and I'm wondering what they might call it when all is said and done. I do really like the Hollywood Boulevard theming that the front of the park has through to Sunset Blvd, so I do hope that remains.

...are slowly turning into MK-lite. Its ok to be different. Its ok NOT to be like MK.

Maybe.
But, since MK is the number one theme park in the USA, it does not hurt to be more like MK.

Look at the countless hundreds of posts just on this board over the years of...

"What's there to do for my child, my Mom, my Grandpa, at X (non-MK) park?"
(There's evidence of that on this very thread.)

People want reassurance that the "magic" and broad appeal of MK can be found in other parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter