CM missing from Wonder 03/22/11??

Status
Not open for further replies.
News this morning says she failed to show up for a shift. This is terrible. Hopefully, she is found ok.

It is becoming painfully obvious why some crew posted earlier yesterday that this is a "private matter" and if you read between the lines of the news reports and postings from CMs, the picture is becoming clearer.

Another website(s) detailed specific information concerning the incident from another CM: this female a) voluntarily jumped and b) did so at 3:00 a.m. on the day in question. The only way that this information could be known is if it were witnessed by another CM or (more likely) DCL did a review of its 24/7 on deck cameras which depicted this tragic event. Of course, this information may be completely fabricated, but it is laced with enough specificity to be plausible - hence the urging for this matter to remain "private."

There is a reason why the FBI has stated in several of the media accounts (including CNN) that there has been no report of "foul play" and why Mexican authorities have taken over the investigation and search, and it has nothing to do with jurisdiction. Obviously, American authorities have been convinced by DCL that no criminal activity has occurred. Jurisdiction notwithstanding, if American authorities were convinced that a criminal act at sea had transpired, they would have remained involved - Disney is an American company, no matter what flag it flies on its cruise ships.

From all reports, DCL acted completely appropriately - contacting both Mexican and American authorities as soon as it confirmed that the CM was not on board (and likely through video verification). Ship-wide announcements and searches are strong evidence that no attempt to hide the truth was occurring.

As sad as this is, the cold reality is that the Wonder, along with every other cruise ship, employs thousands of individuals and each individual CM has his/her own personal issues, challenges and strife - a personal life outside of providing exceptional service to its guests in a sometimes stressful environment. It is a microcosm of what occurs in life on land.

This event is simultaneously troubling, sad and unfortunate, but it is a fact of life. If you search sites such as cruisejunkie.com, CMs on cruise ships all over the world suffer tragic accidents, engage in criminal activity and take their own lives for reasons which have nothing to do with the cruise line in question.

Very sad.

I'm so sad to see this on the news this morning. I'm praying she can still be found. My heart goes out to her co-workers and family.

It is becoming painfully obvious why some crew posted earlier yesterday that this is a "private matter" and if you read between the lines of the news reports and postings from CMs, the picture is becoming clearer.

Another website(s) detailed specific information concerning the incident from another CM: this female a) voluntarily jumped and b) did so at 3:00 a.m. on the day in question. The only way that this information could be known is if it were witnessed by another CM or (more likely) DCL did a review of its 24/7 on deck cameras which depicted this tragic event. Of course, this information may be completely fabricated, but it is laced with enough specificity to be plausible - hence the urging for this matter to remain "private."

There is a reason why the FBI has stated in several of the media accounts (including CNN) that there has been no report of "foul play" and why Mexican authorities have taken over the investigation and search, and it has nothing to do with jurisdiction. Obviously, American authorities have been convinced by DCL that no criminal activity has occurred. Jurisdiction notwithstanding, if American authorities were convinced that a criminal act at sea had transpired, they would have remained involved - Disney is an American company, no matter what flag it flies on its cruise ships.

From all reports, DCL acted completely appropriately - contacting both Mexican and American authorities as soon as it confirmed that the CM was not on board (and likely through video verification). Ship-wide announcements and searches are strong evidence that no attempt to hide the truth was occurring.

As sad as this is, the cold reality is that the Wonder, along with every other cruise ship, employs thousands of individuals and each individual CM has his/her own personal issues, challenges and strife - a personal life outside of providing exceptional service to its guests in a sometimes stressful environment. It is a microcosm of what occurs in life on land.

This event is simultaneously troubling, sad and unfortunate, but it is a fact of life. If you search sites such as cruisejunkie.com, CMs on cruise ships all over the world suffer tragic accidents, engage in criminal activity and take their own lives for reasons which have nothing to do with the cruise line in question.

Very sad.

Well said. thank you.

We are keeping the CM and her family in our prayers. We were on the Wonder for 2 weeks in Jan. and came in contact with a number of CM. Our prayers also go out to the crew on the ship. Lets all say a prayer for her safe return.

This is so sad and scary. I sure hope that they find her alive. There are so many cameras around the ship you would think they would know if someone went overboard? I gather from what i have read that she went missing while at sea not left at any port? I have sailed many times in this ship and cant even imagine how the crew and passengers must be feeling. Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

Very sad.

Well stated, and ITA.

Very sad.

I so agree with this. Very sad.

It's horrible to have a loved one missing. My cousin was lost at sea, off Grand Turk, many years ago. Their fishing boat capsized during a sudden storm. Two were lost, but thankfully, the others survived. They looked for two weeks, the search was called off when the gas can, he was clinging to was found. It was very hard on the family and my aunt NEVER recovered from her loss.

I know, the situation isn't exactly the same, but please, try to understand what the CM's family and friends are going through. I get a pit in my stomach, just thinking about it.

This is such a tragedy. I can't even imagine what the mood is like for the other CMs in the kids clubs right now. They have to put on a brave face to still be with the kids each day, wondering and worrying about their friend.

I really hope this ends up well. Best wishes to everyone.

Well stated. The CMs somehow can always maintain a positive attitude towards the guests and the kids but you can just feel how stressful it must get for 15 hours everyday the club is open. No matter how rushed I may feel to get my kid in or out of the club I always try to be patient with the staff knowing they must carefully follow procedure for the safety of the children.

Question for anyone with an opinion...if the port was in call on the day this crew member was purported to have disappeared, do you think that they would have released more information on the identity of the person such as the person's name?

I completely understand why there is no need whatsoever to release it given the circumstances, but I am curious as to whether they would have released it if the situation was different, and the chances she was in some populated area was more likely.

I would think if it was a different situation and it called for it, her name would be released. But it is what it is, and I think it is appropriate they are keeping her name private. It is very sad and tragic, but none of us know her or her situation (as well as her families) and all we can do is pray for healing for her friends and family and to not point finger or judge her or anything.

People on the CNN discussion board are so mean. Someone wrote

"One can only imagine the horror... of being on a Disney Cruise that is, let alone working for one..":headache:

I'm glad that the voices on the DIS are so much kinder and like the rest of you I pray for this person and their family:grouphug:

From events at sea:
From a crew member: Two days ago one of the youth activities counselors apparently jumped over board. It was at 3 am. They are still searching the ship without any news about her. The disappearance was subsequently reported by News in Orlando. They report the crew member is believed to have gone missing Tuesday from the cruise ship, which is in the middle of a 7-day cruise. On Tuesday the ship was at sea.

Still hoping:grouphug:

I completely understand why there is no need whatsoever to release it given the circumstances

That is absolutely correct. But just so people don't get upset going forward, Disney has no control over eventual release of the CM's identity.

First, the moment U.S. government entities (read: Coast Guard) were brought in, the identity of the missing CM was disclosed to said entities. Notwithstanding the FOI act, that already opened up a whole universe of individuals with knowledge outside of Disney control who could share it outside (intentionally or unintentionally).

More importantly, you have thousands of passengers on the Wonder and by now a huge percentage (especially those were under the care of or who got to know staff in the children's centers and are now painfully aware that the last time a particular CM was there was sometime on Monday) know not only the identity of the missing crewmember, but in all likelihood more than we have heard to this point about the context/circumstances of her disappearance.

And while the damage control elements at DCL may be able to keep hordes of media away from the terminal in CA at debarkation, that isn't going to stop reporters from getting to passengers later, much less other guests sharing information on their own all over the place (incuding here).

This is so very sad and my heart goes out to all who knew and loved her.

I actually applaud the way Disney has handled this situation. They contacted the appropriate authorities when they had confirmed as best they could that the girl was not on board.

As for supposedly telling their employees to keep quiet, this would be standard procedure in any investigation. First, talking about or speculating about details just makes the facts murky. People begin to incorporate speculation among facts, etc. And more than that, even CM's and their families are entitled to their privacy. It's no different then when you are delayed while the ship makes an unscheduled stop at a port for an emergency. If I was the person needing the emergency, I would not want the CM's discussing me with guests over dinner!

It's a very sad situation and an extremely sad time for her family and friends. I can only hope that she is either found or that her family can find peace with the results of the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter