Cockroaches at Pop Century Resort

Every room we've ever had at Disney has been on an upper floor and we've never had any roach issues. Our last trip was the first time staying ground level and the first time experiencing roaches in the room (along with a few baby lizards :)). It happened twice in the first 2 days over a course of 2 weeks. They sent the bug guy twice and offered to move us, but we stayed put since we loved our location. I started putting a towel in the bottom of the door thinking that's where they we coming in. Not sure if it really made any difference, but we never saw another one after that. I wonder if first floor rooms with outside doors have more issues.

Easy off the sauce...my advice...you've "SEEN" it before.

The impromptu could have been a rehearsal...or a private convention show. Only two things that occur off the regular schedule typically.

Why are you picking on that poster? Or at the very least trying to diminish their enjoyment of a trip? You would spend your money differently, fine.

Can we get back on topic of creepy crawlies please?

Why are you picking on that poster? Or at the very least trying to diminish their enjoyment of a trip? You would spend your money differently, fine.

Consumers habits are part of a bigger issue these days...

And I don't know if you noticed...but I DID get back to the topic(s) at hand

First time we went to WDW was in the summer (August) of 1990. I clearly remember the Palmetto / Roaches all over the streets when we were walking and we were trying not to step on them. They were pretty big too.

Slightly off-topic: In Jamaica, we had the BIGGEST one I've ever seen on our ground floor patio. Housekeeping came in and scooped it up like it was nothing. Ugh.

It's just jealousy. Don't even let it bother you. I sure didn't :flower:

Every room we've ever had at Disney has been on an upper floor and we've never had any roach issues. Our last trip was the first time staying ground level and the first time experiencing roaches in the room (along with a few baby lizards :)). It happened twice in the first 2 days over a course of 2 weeks. They sent the bug guy twice and offered to move us, but we stayed put since we loved our location. I started putting a towel in the bottom of the door thinking that's where they we coming in. Not sure if it really made any difference, but we never saw another one after that. I wonder if first floor rooms with outside doors have more issues.

We always go for an upper floor room for that reason. You are less likely to have an issue if you are not on the ground floor!

I stay at the Pop Century Resort for 3 weeks every year. And every year, I find cockroaches in my room. My record was 4 cockroaches, 3 in my room and one outside the door. When I saw it the one outside, I stepped on it immediately and crushed it. I left it there and when I came back, it was gone. Last summer, I found 2 total. I killed one and caught the other one live and put it in a sack. It was hanging on the shower curtain which is very slippery. I don't know how it can hang there, but it did. I wanted to bring it home and show people, but my DS11 firmed told me NO, and I was forced to put it in the trash.

Cockroaches are ugly but they don't bite or hurt anything. And they are only "filthy" if they are in a filthy environment. Disney World is scrubbed spotless, so the cockroaches there are clean too. So if you find a cockroach in the room, just kill it and throw it away. Don't waste your time freaking out or changing rooms.

I've stayed at Pop a bunch of times and never have seen a cockroach, not at any of the other resorts I've stayed at either. But lets face it, Florida is full of all sorts of critters and creepy crawly things. Apparently they don't like to admit to the cockroaches too much, so they call them palmetto bugs. LOL.

Sorry but if I found a roach in the room, I would be at the front desk asking for a different room.:faint: Then again I'm the kind of person that will see any type of bug and call DH to 'rescue me'. ::yes::

I AGREE !!!! I dont care if they are CLEAN, DIRTY or IN-BETWEEN.....I will not WILLINGLY reside with them. If they are in the room, I guarantee you will NOT find me in the room with them !!!! And yes, I know how to be a DAMSEL in DISTRESS when I see one too!!!! :rotfl:

The theme park view is amazing. We were able to watch Wishes from our balcony. Around midnight of our 3rd night, they had another fireworks show that was not scheduled, and we still are not sure what it was. However, to watch fireworks over the castle from bed is phenomenal. Other than the ants, the room and balcony was worth every penny. We wouldn't hesitate to book again. In fact, we didn't :dogdance:

This! We LOVE the Contemporary TPV. Falling asleep watching fireworks or the castle change color all night was amazing. Had to talk DH into giving the Poly a shot this year - which he reluctantly agreed to! :) :)

I live in Central Florida and even though I see roaches and palmetto bugs every year, I still despise them - I would rather open my door to find an alligator in my kitchen than a roach. Two years ago, I was driving along one day when two roaches just strolled out through my ac vent and started running all over my dashboard. It is a miracle I didn't crash that car! The car was a lease and I didn't drive it again until the lease was up two weeks later.

We were once standing on our balcony at the Contemporary watching the fireworks, when I looked down to see a roach on the balcony rail, apparently watching the fireworks too. We were on the 16th floor so that must have been quite a climb for him, but he had a lovely view. Once the fireworks were done, DH put him in a glass and took him down to the ground floor so he could be on his way.

Stayed at Pop in March 2017 - Didn't see any bugs in the room but we spotted a wild turkey (live with feather not liquid & bottled) in the 50's parking lot.

Thought it was a buzzard at first......

This! We LOVE the Contemporary TPV. Falling asleep watching fireworks or the castle change color all night was amazing. Had to talk DH into giving the Poly a shot this year - which he reluctantly agreed to! :) :)

I hope you enjoy the Poly. I didn't care for it, but that is just my personal opinion!!

Yeah, bugs I can deal with, even if I don't like them. But the rat was a bit too much. Even though he was outside and I fully realize outside it their domain and we'll never control rodent/bug populations outdoors.

My last trip I saw a rat at POFQ and one at Epcot. Florida has a pretty sizeable rat population. My sister worked for one of the local municipalities for her first job, and one of her duties was handing out rat poison to their residents. Some of it is tied to the citrus groves in the area.

Hotels with interior corridors will not save you from the Florida natives. If they don't come through your balcony door they will just boldly walk down the hallway and under that interior door. Oh, and they can climb and some can fly, so upper floors won't work either.

That's the number one reason I pack a box of large ziplock baggies. Any food product gets sealed in a baggie to keep the natives out.

The only time I've seen one in my room was an upper floor at Boardwalk. A friend and I were out on the balcony watching Illuminations. Turned to go back into the room and saw a huge bug walking across the carpet! Yikes! We were chasing it around the room with our shoes until one of us got it on the curtain.

Who told you they don't bite. You bet they do! Its a sharp little pinch, don't ask how I know. Ick.

I saw a small roach in my room in the 80's section of Pop last year. I freaked out as I knew it was not a wood roach that came in from outside, but a smaller one that lives in the walls of buildings that you can Never get rid of once they're there. I didn't want them in my bag coming home with me so I called the front desk and without question, the manager moved me to another building. I've stayed at Pop 6 times in every section except 90's and that is the only time I saw one of those roaches.

I am not concerned with the wood roaches that come in from outside since I've lived in LA & FL for 14 years total now. I have seen rats and rat traps in WS and am not surprised. There is no getting rid of them so no sense in worrying about it.

Head's up: Probably don't step on roaches! If they're carrying fertilized eggs and you crunch a carrier, you will also be carrying fertilized eggs in your shoe bottoms LOL. That's a good way to spread the love! Just use a sheet of paper and scuttle them away so you don't accidentally invite more. :)

its florida. There are roaches, palmetto bugs, water bugs etc. everywhere. ITs the whole tropical climate things. When I lived in New Orleans, the best houses had bugs in and around them.

The worst though are the lovebugs. they are every where.

The last time I was there was 12 years ago September . I remember those love bugs. Are they around all year long?
I know they are harmless but definitely annoying.

The last time I was there was 12 years ago September . I remember those love bugs. Are they around all year long?
I know they are harmless but definitely annoying.

Twice a year - May and September, for the most part. Sometimes they are early and show up in April. They are annoying, but harmless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter