College entrance cheating scandal

I have mixed feeling regarding Felicity's sentence. I agree that an example needs to be made to deter others from doing this. To realize that there is accountability for committing fraud. And dare I say it, that rich white people don't walk off scotch free. I'm glad that her punishment was not too outrageous, in terms of length serviced too long or too short. That she didn't get away with just community service.

The other side of me questions her sentence. There are people in jail with longer sentences who committed less serious crimes.

Unlike Laurie, Felicity owned up to what she did. So I'm curious to see how Laurie's will differ? Also curious about what the other parents involved will receive.

I don’t know If the punishment fits the crime here. This woman already lost jobs, her reputation, suffered national humiliation, must do community service and also received a hefty fine. Not to mention what happened to her kids’ future. Jail seems like overkill and she is being made an example of. Jail is absolute hell and should be reserved for serious criminals.
I think Felicity will come out of this stronger then ever. I think her guilty plea earned her much respect. Kudos to her for doing the right thing.

I wonder if she will even be there for two weeks with all the overcrowding. Don’t they release low risk offenders early due to that. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was home within a week.

At least she owned up to it.

I think Felicity will come out of this stronger then ever. I think her guilty plea earned her much respect. Kudos to her for doing the right thing.

I’ve worked with people who have done prison time. It’s a horriic, traumatizing and demeaning experience. No one comes out of prison a better person.

If you found out one of your kids cheated on a test would you be ok with prison time?

I’ve worked with people who have done prison time. It’s a horriic, traumatizing and demeaning experience. No one comes out of prison a better person.

I just think a bit of prison time sends a message to people with wealth that you can’t always buy your way out. We all know a $30 000 fine is meaningless to the rich. Anyways, Martha Stewart did okay in prison. What was her sentence. Four or five months? Like I said, I’m surprised Felicity got time.

If you found out one of your kids cheated on a test would you be ok with prison time?
That’s not what happened here.

I just think a bit of prison time sends a message to people with wealth that you can’t always buy your way out. We all know a $30 000 fine is meaningless to the rich. Anyways, Martha Stewart did okay in prison. What was her sentence. Four or five months? Like I said, I’m surprised Felicity got time.

That’s not what happened here.

The rich are always going to buy their way into schools. There’s just a non criminal way of doing it. Straight up cash donations to schools work every time.

https://www.today.com/home/martha-s...ifying-prison-stay-nothing-good-about-t117171

Agreed. Though some people may think twice in how they go about it.

Did you read the article where Martha Stewards calls her experience horrifying and that nothing good came from it? People are human and they make mistakes. I’m sure many people will think twice based on the fact that this actor already lost her and her daughter’s reputations and future jobs/income. That family has been living a nightmare since she’s been caught. Why do we need to strip them of all dignity?

What blows my mind is that Felicity Huffman got 14 days in jail, and Skylar Richardson got time served at 7 days (plus 3 years probation) for abuse of a corpse. (anyone not familiar with the Richardson case, look it up)

Mind blown that test cheating is TWICE as much jail time as what Skylar Richardson did. Our judicial system is twisted!

I think the prison sentence is a fair amount of time. Actually, she'll go to jail, not prison--prison is for terms longer than 365 days. She may even be able to have minimum security and some creature comforts in there. She's not going to be bunking with hardened criminals. I think overall, her sentence seems considered and fair, and I hope she gets through this with dignity and grace.

Lori Loughlin, OTOH--I hope she gets a much harsher sentence. She doesn't seem to grasp that the rules apply to her.

Did you read the article where Martha Stewards calls her experience horrifying and that nothing good came from it? People are human and they make mistakes. I’m sure many people will think twice based on the fact that this actor already lost her and her daughter’s reputations and future jobs/income. That family has been living a nightmare since she’s been caught. Why do we need to strip them of all dignity?
I’m sure prison is horrible. But I think Felicity and her career will be just fine. Yes. People make mistakes, sure, but she knew she was doing something illegal. She just got caught. I feel badly for her daughter.

I actually think the jail time will benefit her in the long run. People won’t see her as someone who got off. She’ll get some respect for doing time.

I think the prison sentence is a fair amount of time. Actually, she'll go to jail, not prison--prison is for terms longer than 365 days. She may even be able to have minimum security and some creature comforts in there. She's not going to be bunking with hardened criminals. I think overall, her sentence seems considered and fair, and I hope she gets through this with dignity and grace.

Lori Loughlin, OTOH--I hope she gets a much harsher sentence. She doesn't seem to grasp that the rules apply to her.
It doesn’t help that Lori’s daughter comes across as an entitled brat.

The sentence was fine. To be honest, she probably only got the jail sentence because she is famous. Usually non violent first time offenders don't go to jail. Fines, probation and community service. Obviously what she did was wrong and illegal so she got an appropriate sentence. I think people see other non famous people getting harsher sentences for doing similar things or less and they get upset about it and I get that.

The federal system doesn't really differentiate between jails and prisons, although the feds often house those awaiting trial in county jails (under contract) that are closer to courthouses. In my state a lot of state crime felonies have been served in county jails under a law designed to reduce costs and reduce overcrowding in state prisons.

I've heard that a lot of shorter term sentences happen at places like the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan (where Jeffery Epstein committed suicide) because they're used to handling short term detentions. That place doesn't have a terribly good reputation. Also - there's the possibility that Huffman gets sent for 14 days in a minimum security facility like the one where Martha Stewart did time.

Strangely enough, Huffman requested her sentence be served at Federal Correctional Facility, Dublin in Alameda County.

https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/dub/
DUB_lrg.jpg

It's across the street from Alameda County's Santa Rita Jail and it's a women's only prison. It's also about a mile away from the Alameda County Sheriff's bomb disposal range where Mythbusters used to do a lot of their experiements. It's kind of a nondescript town. I've dined and shopped there before. And even next to a county jail and prison homes can sell for up to $1 million.

Last edited:
I want to let everyone go, pay back, fines, I know this is a bad ideal but this is how I feel

Lost her reputation and jobs? Living a nightmare? Honestly, is that a joke?

It doesn’t help that Lori’s daughter comes across as an entitled brat.

It's pretty clear that she gets that attitude from her parents. When you grow up with everything you ever wanted handed to you, this kind of attitude is pretty inevitable.

I want to let everyone go, pay back, fines, I know this is a bad ideal but this is how I feel

Huffman was fined as well, a whopping $30,000. How will she and William Macy ever come up with that kind of cash? It's such a staggering sum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter