Come Pack With Me (Pre Trip Report)

jsmla

DIS Veteran
The last time we were at Ft. Wilderness it was 2010 and we still had our 1966 Airstream. A LOT of people proclaimed their undying admiration for our vintage rig but we didn't get any takers until last year when we sold it to a young family of old-school Airstream enthusiasts. So far they seem happy with it and I'm thrilled with our "new" 2003 fifth wheel. Call me shallow but no amount of retro charm compensates for a flush toilet and a shower that you can actually stand up in. The way I see it it was a win-win situation.

Here's ole Dino the Dinosaur from a 2010 thread:

Outside
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2458298&highlight=ratty&page=3

Interior
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2458298&highlight=ratty&page=5

And here's our new digs-The Miss Beth
imagejpg1_zps0417b4fa.jpg
[/URL]

The Miss Beth is named for her previous owner, a house-proud lady in her late 70s who purchased the trailer new and only used it for (I swear I'm not making this up) attending church retreats. In the 10 years that Miss Beth owned the Miss Beth it was used a total of six times by a non-smoking, tee-totaling, pet-free retired couple. It gets even better-they kept it under cover and maintained everything beautifully down to running the HVAC on a schedule to keep everything fresh and mildew free. The protective plastic was still on the carpet when we bought it!

It has a working oven (I said a prayer every time I lit the stove in Dino), a modern bath and a real bed. I LOVE The Miss Beth, right down to her shiny gold fixtures and flowery decor. We sleep at night now, free of worry over what will leak, short-out or fall off of little our home on wheels while we slumber.

Anywho, our trip will be October 3-10. DH is not a big Disney guy so we only have three trips to the parks planned. Here's a tentative itinerary:

Thursday (evening)
Drive to Gulf Pines KOA in Milton, FL

Friday (Drive day/set-up/grocery shop)
Breakfast-CAMPER
Lunch-Out (Sweet Tomatoes?)
Dinner-Trail's End

Saturday
Brunch-CAMPER
Dinner-BBQ at campsite with Bob and Gill

Sunday (Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party)
Brunch-Cracker Barrel
Dinner-Liberty Tree Tavern (5:20)

Monday
Brunch-CAMPER
Lunch-snacks at pool
Dinner-dinner/movie at DTD (restaurant.com House of Blues/mycokerewards AMC reward)

Tuesday (Hollywood Studios)
Breakfast-CAMPER
Lunch-3:05 PM lunch at Sci Fi Dine In
Dinner-CAMPER

Wednesday (Clearwater Beach)
Breakfast-CAMPER
Lunch-beach picnic
Dinner-out

Thursday (Epcot)
Breakfast-CAMPER
Lunch/Dinner-Epcot Food and Wine Festival

Friday
Brunch-The Wave at the Contemporary Resort
Dinner-Clean out fridge

(This is actually my food planning itinerary-too lazy to write a real one I'm afraid. We're spending Saturday and Sunday with friends who will be just finishing up their own Disney vacation.)

Right now Miss Beth is empty, fresh from a tune up and waiting to be loaded down. I'm definitely not a light traveler so much junk will be brought aboard before we leave. I'll post pix once we put the slide-out out.

T-13 Days Till We Leave!

That's an awesome find for a used camper!

Food itinerary looks good to me...........so jealous, I wish I was packing right now. I would especially love to go to F&W!

I for one would love to see more pics and if you get the time on your trip or after you get back I'd love to see pics of what you eat and drink at F&W.

You crack mw up with "call me shallow..." :rotfl2: And yes, there are a lot of us admirers out there, but when it comes down to it, maintenance, cost, and creature comforts often win out over aesthetics and classic charm.

And I like that you have Sweet Tomatoes on your itinerary! My parents live in FL and we always have to hit Sweet Tomatoes when we visit them!

Thanks for replying:)

I love Sweet Tomatoes and we don't have them here. I'm hoping for a coupon in my email before we go! I like to semi-plan out our meals before we leave-it keeps us from over doing it at the grocery store once we arrive.

We were very lucky to get this camper-there's no way we'd spend the 35K a new one would cost! It really is in almost new condition. The decor isn't exactly to my taste but that's a small, small thing in the scheme of things. Dino was definitely unique but the Miss Beth is a lot more comfortable. So far we've taken her to the beach and Great Smoky Mountains and every trip convinces me more that we've made a great decision.

Hopefully, DH will extend the slide-out tonight and I can get some interior pix. Then, let the over packing begin!

Oooh Ooooh, a pre-trip report. From Red Stick no less. Hurray!:cool1:

I just popped some popcorn so I'm going to settle in and follow along.

Bama Ed

We are going to be at the Fort the same time. We are coming in on Sunday the 5th. One big difference - we will be in a tent. This will be our second time there. Should've been our third, but I chickened out a couple of years ago with hurricane Sandy, and we ended up changing to another resort. But so looking forward to coming back this time rain or shine! We also are starting our vacation with MNSSHP on Sunday night. I'll keep tabs on your pre-trip report and pack right along with you. Have a safe trip down!

We're having issues with our electrics here at home so, instead of planning and packing I'm hoeing out our Master BR closet (AKA the junk repository) so I won't die of embarrassment when the electrician goes in there to mess with the fuse box. Here are a few pictures instead.

Here we are at the Grand Canyon last month.
imagejpg2_zps90a170bb.jpg

"We" are Scott (58) and Jenny (54). We've been married for 33 years and have two kids (who were practically raised at Ft Wilderness but) are now empty nesters. Well, not completely empty, these days we live with Molly the Mop and Iggy the Devil Cat.

Iggy will be staying home-he has issues (bat-crap crazy) that preclude travel of any kind. Also seems to have a rather unhealthy bag fixation. Every picture of him that I had on hand involved a bag.
imagejpg2_zps9520ad56.jpg

Molly the Mop will be coming along. She just turned one and is already a seasoned traveler with at least half a dozen trips under her harness. This picture is from July. She's a bit hairier now.
imagejpg3_zps499e595a.jpg

And here's the inside of the Miss Beth:
Kitchen and Living Area
imagejpg5_zps744c431e.jpg

imagejpg8_zps9a62f3e4.jpg

imagejpg1_zps52a396cc.jpg

imagejpg2_zps1cd4e1ee.jpg

Bedroom
imagejpg12_zps2c83bdf6.jpg

Bath (My favorite part!)
imagejpg13_zps61aae4eb.jpg

imagejpg15_zps63f381fb.jpg

Now THAT is what I call STORAGE! You could feed an army out of that kitchen! My camper's kitchen only has 3 tiny little cabinets so on longer trips I have to stuff food in random places all over the camper, feeling a little jealous of your cabinets there.

I see what you mean about the flowery décor, but at least it is muted colors and nothing garish or bright. I think your camper is quite pretty.

After you get done packing we need a pic of all the cabinets opened up. I'll be quite impressed if you actually fill all those...............

Now THAT is what I call STORAGE! You could feed an army out of that kitchen! My camper's kitchen only has 3 tiny little cabinets so on longer trips I have to stuff food in random places all over the camper, feeling a little jealous of your cabinets there.

I see what you mean about the flowery décor, but at least it is muted colors and nothing garish or bright. I think your camper is quite pretty.

After you get done packing we need a pic of all the cabinets opened up. I'll be quite impressed if you actually fill all those...............

I think you'll be surprised, I have quite the reputation for over packing! Miss Beth has a lot of kitchen storage but not much in the bed and bath. I foresee a bin of undies in one of those kitchen cabinets!

We are going to be at the Fort the same time. We are coming in on Sunday the 5th. One big difference - we will be in a tent. This will be our second time there. Should've been our third, but I chickened out a couple of years ago with hurricane Sandy, and we ended up changing to another resort. But so looking forward to coming back this time rain or shine! We also are starting our vacation with MNSSHP on Sunday night. I'll keep tabs on your pre-trip report and pack right along with you. Have a safe trip down!

You're braver than I am! I grew up camping in a big green canvas tent and swore never again! Scott likes roughing it but I prefer my AC and private bath :)

Looks like MNSSHP on that Sunday is a popular one! We will be there too :cool1: This is our first trip to the Fort and we are tent camping. Seeing Miss. Beth as I am trying to organize the "Disney" pile of stuff I've been accumulating over the past six months, makes me super jealous!

Aww, your babies Molly and Iggy are adorable! Love all the photos. Wow, what a kitchen on Miss Beth! She is a lovely camper. Hope you have a great trip and lots of fun at WDW and at the Fort.

Packing right along with you! We are also tent camping -- arriving 10/3. It will be our 5th time at the fort, but our first time in a tent loop and I can't wait. Would love to meet up! We are bringing a projector to show our own outdoor movie or tvs, so please grab a chair and come say hi!!

ABitDistracted said:
Packing right along with you! We are also tent camping -- arriving 10/3. It will be our 5th time at the fort, but our first time in a tent loop and I can't wait. Would love to meet up! We are bringing a projector to show our own outdoor movie or tvs, so please grab a chair and come say hi!!

Now that sounds cool...

Scott's Mickey lamp survived four years in the barn :)

imagejpg1_zps11051e87.jpg

Oh, and I have crazy respect for all of you tent campers, especially with little ones. We had a little dome tent and did a bit of camping in the early years but that went by the way once the kiddos arrived.

I think Scott has rigged an outdoors TV set-up on the Miss Beth for the Auburn game. TV is VERY important at our house during football season!

Scott's Mickey lamp survived four years in the barn :)

imagejpg1_zps11051e87.jpg

Oh, and I have crazy respect for all of you tent campers, especially with little ones. We had a little dome tent and did a bit of camping in the early years but that went by the way once the kiddos arrived.

I think Scott has rigged an outdoors TV set-up on the Miss Beth for the Auburn game. TV is VERY important at our house during football season!

I will admit that I am a little jealous of Miss Beth! Although I love the idea of an Airstream, the maintenance would do us in...

We rented an RV at the Fort a couple years ago and that is what really hooked us on WDW. Tent camping will be an adventure! We are driving down from MA (and taking our time...4 nights, 5 days) camping for 2 weeks and then driving back (even more slowly, haha, 6 nights, 7 days!). We leave a week from Monday :cool1::cool1:

I will admit that I am a little jealous of Miss Beth! Although I love the idea of an Airstream, the maintenance would do us in...

We rented an RV at the Fort a couple years ago and that is what really hooked us on WDW. Tent camping will be an adventure! We are driving down from MA (and taking our time...4 nights, 5 days) camping for 2 weeks and then driving back (even more slowly, haha, 6 nights, 7 days!). We leave a week from Monday :cool1::cool1:

Have a great trip!

We camped at Ft. Wilderness with our kids for years (never in a tent though) and loved it. We only switched to the hotels after Scott dropped out of our annual trips. One of our daughter's fondest memories was of riding her bike to the Settlement Trading Post and buying a Popsicle "all by herself". She didn't realize until she was an adult (and asked me what in the heck were we thinking) that her Dad was following her the whole time :)

Have a great trip!

We camped at Ft. Wilderness with our kids for years (never in a tent though) and loved it. We only switched to the hotels after Scott dropped out of our annual trips. One of our daughter's fondest memories was of riding her bike to the Settlement Trading Post and buying a Popsicle "all by herself". She didn't realize until she was an adult (and asked me what in the heck were we thinking) that her Dad was following her the whole time :)

That is sooooo sweet! I could totally see my DH doing that for our daughters.

Really looking forward to your trip report, hope you will have time to do it live! Can you include a pic of your campsite too please? I still have 432 days til my trip :sad: and I'm trying to live vicariously through you right now........

Wow, the early 2000s were really fond of the honey oak cabinets and bright gold. My 2004 Crossroads has exactly the same interior.

The "kids" tell me the bright gold will be back in style soon. I know you can still buy it at Home Depot.

Sadly, my 5'er has lived outside all it's life. The interior still looks like yours, but the exterior is showing it's age.

Have a great time next month and post lots of pictures.

j

Wow, the early 2000s were really fond of the honey oak cabinets and bright gold. My 2004 Crossroads has exactly the same interior.

The "kids" tell me the bright gold will be back in style soon. I know you can still buy it at Home Depot.

Sadly, my 5'er has lived outside all it's life. The interior still looks like yours, but the exterior is showing it's age.

Have a great time next month and post lots of pictures.

j

We still have the circa 1996 polished brass hardware on our doors at home so I think we'll be able to live with it in Miss Beth. We did replace the like-new carpet though. It was a pale cream plush and we would have trashed that in a week.

The couple we bought her from is letting us store Miss Beth in her former home until we build a covered area that will hold her-there's no way she'll fit in Dino's old shed. We've been very lucky with the previous owners.

We did replace the like-new carpet though.
Ours had cream carpet too. We put in laminate 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not sure who though light colored carpet was a good thing in a camper.

We've been very lucky with the previous owners.
You got a fantastic deal. Regardless of what you paid, to find one that has been taken care of like that is very rare.

Enjoy.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter