Come to the Dark Side...4 Weekends of Fun with the Force(Updated 11/12)

I think part of the problem with the car seat was that she'd never seen one until she was almost a year old. When babies come home from the hospital in car seats, they get used to them and find them comforting like JJ did. When babies spend the first year or so of their lives in an orphange and then two weeks riding around China in their new parent's laps, a car seat is a huge and unwelcome change.

With her sensory issues she still complains about the seat belt, but we've found that if we get get her reading or watching a movie on her IPAD, she gets distracted and the trips are better.

We've only done the one family trip to China (in the summer of 2012). Grace wants to go back, but Megan doesn't. I would like to take them back again sometime in the next 5 or 6 years, though. I think one more trip to China with them before Megan goes to university would be good. (She's in Grade 7 now, so we have a little while to save for it and get organized.)

Totally understandable about your dd. She has been through so much and so many changes in such a short lifetime. How are her seizures doing?

I think you hit the nail on the head, distraction. It's not so much entertaining JJ now as it is distracting him.

That's the issue we have too (double stroller). Plus Jeremy walks most of the time now (I still bring a really cheap umbrella stroller for him at night because it's just to scary to think of him wandering away in the dark and not being able to find him quickly).

We're still looking at school breaks for the kids so probably spring break (March/April) or depending on when New Year's falls we could do a quick trip where we drive down on the 1st and home on whatever that Sunday is. I really don't want to do June because of the heat. (I know and here we're going to go to WDW in June and the heat/humidity. :rotfl2:)

That's good that Grumpy is still close with his cousin's. I'm still close with a couple of mine but the younger one's I don't see at all.

It is a shame but we do what we can when we can. Hopefully as the kids get older they realize we at least tried and for my kids at least they have started making some really good friendships that I hope are able to last.

Glad you guys had a good time at the MK.

Breaks are understandable. While I don't advocate taking kids out of school, it is much easier to do in the early grades. It gets more difficult as they get older and work load increases. 2nd grade was the last time we took Grumpy out of school. That was for a Disney cruise.

We had a good weekend. Ended up at MK on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Monday was so nice and empty that we decided to stay and buy tickets for MVMCP!! It was an awesome party. The Halloween one is still my favorite though. Pictures to come. :)

I cannot wait to see the Osborne lights in a few weeks.

I cannot wait to see the Osborne lights in a few weeks.

Woohoo!! Have you seen them before?

We did not make it to the Osborne Lights last night. JJ wanted to play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom so we stopped by the MK. The park was empty. We didn't realize it was a party night. I texted back and forth with moodyzblu and while she and the boys went early to DHS, we ended up staying all night at MK and buying party tickets. MVMCP rocks!!

ETA: This was our first MVMCP in possibly a decade. It was the perfect night with such low crowd levels and perfect weather.

Busy day on tap. Happy Veteran's Day! A Special thanks for all those who have served our country.

Today we are off to voice lessons and DHS. It's the Oborne Lights on tap for tonight.

This weekend we went to MK both Saturday and Sunday and had a great time both. Met up with friends from home on Saturday. And totally by chance, bumped into Moodyzblu and the boys!! I knew they were going to MK. But certainly didn't expect to walk right by them on Main St. After all, MK is a big place. We exchanged numbers and hope to meet up again tonight for the lights. :)

I'll be back later for more replys. We are off to JJ's class.

Oh I hope there are pictures. I love seeing the pictures.:flower3:

I sent mail JJ's way earlier today.

Day 12: Best Day Ever

Here we are the last day of mine and JJ’s SWW. I was ready for SWW to be over, but JJ was not. In fact, he told Moodyzblu just the other day that Star Wars is his favorite season at Disney. Not mine, Christmas time at Disney is mine.

DH got up really early and got a FP/Wrist band for Tom Kane. We had met him at C6 and he is a fantastic guy. JJ loves talking in his Yoda voice and at C6 he learned from Star Wars in 60 Minutes how to walk around on stage like Yoda. So JJ was very excited for this M&G. It was an early M&G so we had to get to the park early.

Crowds must have been expected because there were three security guards at bag check.

Almost as soon as we entered the park, JJ was asked if he was going to be in the parade again. I said no. Cue the Mother Knows Best song from Rapunzel. It was hot. I mean it was HOT. I knew it was going to make him sick. Dh said no too. JJ pleaded his case, “but Mama, it’s the last weekend. Please…please?” Then those eyes. So I push it off on Dad. He says if mom goes with you. So it’s back in my court. I want to say yes. You just never know what will happen from one day to the next. But did I mention it was hot out? So the deal was, he could do it, but if he felt anything wrong he got pulled immediately. Agreed.

We went over to Echo Lake. It was M&G time! This was the same picture from the beginning that Grumpy took on my camera during a show at C6 that had the Clone Wars voice actors. Tom Kane smiled when he saw the picture.

From here, there was just enough time to visit the restroom, drink some water, and head over to Sounds Dangerous for the parade meet. I mean just enough time. JJ was the last child there. They were given instructions and JJ met a boy. Recently, we saw this boy on a Disney XD commercial for Star Wars Weekends. JJ thinks it was for a Club Penguin commercial? Also in that video is a very quick shot of the parade and you can see JJ and dh from a previous weekend. It goes by so fast that even after seeing that commercial a half dozen times I have only spotted them once. But there is a nice interview question with the boy he met on the commercial.

We turn about face, and we are now in the front instead of the back. Trev’s guide is there with another child. The kids get robes and are sent to stand under a roof tent. There is water there and the cm offer it to the kids. While we are standing in the shade, the 501st is out in the direct sunlight in full costume.

Ashley saw JJ and asked in a surprise what he was doing there. She thought he was at play practice. He told her that was for the next day. She told him to break a leg and have to have fun at the play. They said goodbyes and hugged. This made his day. He was so up high in cloud nine.

Tom Kane stopped by all the kids to say hello. None of the other kids seemed to know who he was. JJ answered back in his best Yoda voice. He was congratulated on a voice well done Yoda style. Is there a cloud 10 because he was at a new time high? Another boy caught on. As he left, the other boy said, “that man sounded like Yoda.” JJ said, “that man IS Yoda.”

They moved the kids out of their spot. I had always assumed there was some type of order to the kids. It always looks like they are in rows. Guess what? There isn’t. The kids walk and that just happens! Pretty cool, huh?

We got to the bottom of the stage. It was so different seeing things from this perspective. I parked JJ, angled the air conditioner and backed away.

A few minutes later, Dianne asked JJ if he was ok. He said he was doing great!

BAM! All of the sudden JJ didn’t feel well. He motioned for Dianne and we got him right out of there. He was the second child to have to leave. We got the robe off and I quickly wheeled him to One Man’s Dream. Dh met up with on the way. We spent a long time in there. From here we went to First Aid. He wanted to say good bye to his cm friends at the information booth at the entrance. He said goodbye to them and we headed to the car. His day was done. He said it was by far the best day ever!

He rested and night came. SWW events were over. He wanted to go back to DHS and say goodbye to the rest of SWW. We went into the park. Rode the Great Movie Ride and saw Muppet Vision. Along the way he said goodbye to everything he saw that was Star Wars related. It was raining. He was using the same umbrella Grumpy used as a child. It was bittersweet. He posed for one last Photopass picture and we bid farewell to Star Wars Weekends 2013.

Breaks are understandable. While I don't advocate taking kids out of school, it is much easier to do in the early grades. It gets more difficult as they get older and work load increases. 2nd grade was the last time we took Grumpy out of school. That was for a Disney cruise.

We had a good weekend. Ended up at MK on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Monday was so nice and empty that we decided to stay and buy tickets for MVMCP!! It was an awesome party. The Halloween one is still my favorite though. Pictures to come. :)

I don't have an issue pulling them out if I need to but right now with the schools changing to the Common Core Standard I figure this is not the year to take either of them out since everything is so new.

How fun that you got to stay for MVMCP!! That had to have been a great time!! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Ahhh sad that SWW is over. But I'm soooo happy to hear that JJ had a great last day.

Sounds like a great last day--except for JJ getting overheated. At least he recognized that he was feeling "off" and you could get him somewhere cooler before things got worse. I'm sure that he can't wait until next year!

Oh I hope there are pictures. I love seeing the pictures.:flower3:

I sent mail JJ's way earlier today.

I have MNSSHP and MVMCP pictures. :)

Thanks so much!

I don't have an issue pulling them out if I need to but right now with the schools changing to the Common Core Standard I figure this is not the year to take either of them out since everything is so new.

How fun that you got to stay for MVMCP!! That had to have been a great time!! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Ahhh sad that SWW is over. But I'm soooo happy to hear that JJ had a great last day.

MVMCP was better than I expected. Never did a party that spur of the moment. There was one Halloween party we booked the morning of the party because JJ was having such a good day. But this was literally moments before the party. While eating supper we went over the map and planned our strategy. It worked!

I know. It's been so nice reliving all those fun moments. Before I know it, dates will be announced for 2014 (anytime between Dec and Feb). I know we aren't going every weekend.

Sounds like a great last day--except for JJ getting overheated. At least he recognized that he was feeling "off" and you could get him somewhere cooler before things got worse. I'm sure that he can't wait until next year!

Great last day, despite the overheating. As soon as he saw the flashing lights, the aura for his seizures he told someone.

Every morning, and I mean every, he asked me if Grandma and Grandpa are coming today. When I say no, he asks if it's Star Wars Weekends. I tell him May, and he counts the months on his fingers. Yesterday he asked or a countdown calendar.

so happy JJ's last SWW day was so special...sorry he got overheated :(

fun you guys did MVMCP on the spur of the moment! we can't wait to go, wish you guys could come on our day too...are we still planning on meeting up on 12/1? or have things changed?

so happy JJ's last SWW day was so special...sorry he got overheated :(

fun you guys did MVMCP on the spur of the moment! we can't wait to go, wish you guys could come on our day too...are we still planning on meeting up on 12/1? or have things changed?

We can still meet on 12/1, just can't do EoS like we had talked about before. JJ can't eat anything there. Unless I feed him at home first. Dh works til 5 so the earliest we'd get to DTD would be around 7.

Nov 23, 24, and 25 are all totally open days. My inlaws come the 27th - either 30th or 1stth depending on weather. They are driving. Dec 2 is open after 4pm, JJ's showcase is that afternoon.

I don't know if there is a Cloud 10 but, if there were, JJ would have definitely been floating on it. I am not a Star Wars fan but I've really enjoyed seeing it all through the eyes of your family.

Hmm. It might be easier to keep it all in one place. There's still a few pics from SSR, all of MNSSHP, and the holidays are approaching.

Well, if you do start another report, please let me know. I've been guilty of forgetting to look at signatures for new links.

Love seeing the last of SWW! The first photo of JJ looking at Kane while he was smiling at the photo of them from last time is priceless! JJ looks like the cat that ate the canary! What a grin!! The parade looked great - so many perfect opportunities for JJ this SWW. And to participate with Trevor on his special trip makes it even better. Hated to read that JJ got overheated but HUGE kuddos to him for recognizing the auras and asking for help. I loved the sweet goodbyes - the umbrella looks like it has the hat on!!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your visits/parties!

We had snow flurries and sleet last night! Record early date for eastern NC. Was so glad nothing stayed - but it is freezing today! Of course I had to have a 7:00 am meeting which meant getting to the hospital at 6:30. BURR!! You guys still warm in FL?

Well, if you do start another report, please let me know. I've been guilty of forgetting to look at signatures for new links.

I will be sure to let you know either way. :)

Love seeing the last of SWW! The first photo of JJ looking at Kane while he was smiling at the photo of them from last time is priceless! JJ looks like the cat that ate the canary! What a grin!! The parade looked great - so many perfect opportunities for JJ this SWW. And to participate with Trevor on his special trip makes it even better. Hated to read that JJ got overheated but HUGE kuddos to him for recognizing the auras and asking for help. I loved the sweet goodbyes - the umbrella looks like it has the hat on!!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your visits/parties!

We had snow flurries and sleet last night! Record early date for eastern NC. Was so glad nothing stayed - but it is freezing today! Of course I had to have a 7:00 am meeting which meant getting to the hospital at 6:30. BURR!! You guys still warm in FL?

Star Wars Weekends 2013 went above and beyond our expectations.

JJ was immersed in his favorite world for 4 weekends.

The umbrella is Stitch. :)

SNOW?! BRRR. I hope you were able to warm up by your meeting.

Today's high is 66, which is cold for us.

We ended up at 5 MNSSHP, 4 were fabulous and one turned very sour after starting out as the very best. A few had rain, but they were fun despite the wetness. Without a doubt, MNSSHP tops SWW for me in a heart beat. JJ still says SWW is his favorite. Grumpy even went to a party with us! One that rained, but he had fun too.

You could start a new TR for the parties....

Not in to SW as you know, but not in to the parties either. :confused3

I hope OT went well today as well as rehearsal. the show is next week, :woohoo::woohoo:

MVMCP was better than I expected. Never did a party that spur of the moment. There was one Halloween party we booked the morning of the party because JJ was having such a good day. But this was literally moments before the party. While eating supper we went over the map and planned our strategy. It worked!

I know. It's been so nice reliving all those fun moments. Before I know it, dates will be announced for 2014 (anytime between Dec and Feb). I know we aren't going every weekend.

I love how you can do things like the parties on a spur of the moment like that (I know some do sell out but still). I'm so glad you guys were able to map out a strategy and that it worked!

Can we hope that they extend it a weekend or two so we can go? :rotfl2: But I'll be happy to just be going again. At least you'll be going some. Can't wait to see pictures from the parties you've attended so far.

ETA: This was our first MVMCP in possibly a decade. It was the perfect night with such low crowd levels and perfect weather.

That is so cool! I am glad you had a good time. :goodvibes

I am sorry that JJ got overheated on his last day of SWW, but it certainly sounds as if it was a good day nonetheless!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter