CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

The more and more I thought about it, it made me realize: it’s time. Whether or not we care to admit it it is time to change out illuminations. I had a thought that I’m keeping to myself out of fear of being attacked over my outlook on the situation which made me realize more and more it’s time to update. But like I said, more power to anyone whose judging the new show based solely off of four preliminary pieces of concept art

Oh I agree it is time for a change, Illuminations is ready for an update. I am not ready to judge the new show either, however based on the name and description, I am a bit nervous that the direction of the show will be vastly different from my own opinion of how a day and evening in the WS should end. I love disney music, I really do, but there is something special about a park that was not Disney character centric, and I really do not want Disney to move in a direction with music and imagery that is based on disney movies. I can find that in DHS and MK, and look forward to that when I am in those parks. When I am in DAK and Epcot, I want something more subtle in regards to Disney imagery, and more in keeping with the area I am in.

I have an open mind, but I will admit that there is a bit of trepidation as well.

The more and more I thought about it, it made me realize: it’s time. Whether or not we care to admit it it is time to change out illuminations. I had a thought that I’m keeping to myself out of fear of being attacked over my outlook on the situation which made me realize more and more it’s time to update. But like I said, more power to anyone whose judging the new show based solely off of four preliminary pieces of concept art
I agree wholeheartedly illuminations needed to be switched out. Just wish there wasn’t going to be IP in it. But you’re right that you can’t seriously judge a show that doesn’t exist yet

Based on the way they replaced Wishes, I can totally judge them on a show that doesn't exist. And I'm not judging them favorably.
I agree..... I am not looking forward to what they may have to replace Illuminations. I absolutely LOVE Illuminations.... my all time favorite WDW show!!! However, I do agree it may be time to retire it. :( In the very least.... it needs an update.
My biggest fear is that they will replace it with some horrible mash-up of 100 Disney sing-a-long songs and add a bunch of fireworks. .... kinda what I feel HEA is.
They need to keep to the whole theme of the World Showcase and create an entirely new show the focuses on the nations and the world living as one!

It isn't that I am massively attached to the original Epcot idea, but I like that all the parks are different and Epcot is something you'll never see anywhere else. I don't see how they can make IPCOT without it feeling weird and it becoming a mishmash as you say.

I also, personally, think that Illuminations shows the true creativity of Disney. Who else would've written a full and beautiful score for a fireworks show, with a story that will still be loved after more than 7000 showings over 20 years. Anyone can make a mix tape of Disney songs.

I am also a Disney Parks fan, more than a straight Disney fan, so that probably jades my views some.
Agree. You said it perfectly!

I agree..... I am not looking forward to what they may have to replace Illuminations. I absolutely LOVE Illuminations.... my all time favorite WDW show!!! However, I do agree it may be time to retire it. :( In the very least.... it needs an update.
My biggest fear is that they will replace it with some horrible mash-up of 100 Disney sing-a-long songs and add a bunch of fireworks. .... kinda what I feel HEA is.
They need to keep to the whole theme of the World Showcase and create an entirely new show the focuses on the nations and the world living as one!
Yeah but the difference is that regardless of your feelings good or bad about HEA, that style of show fits fine with the theme of that park. Whereas it isn’t cohesive with what Epcot’s supposed to be.

I say this after spending part of today listening to the tapestry of nations soundtrack and remembering what they can produce when given the ability to work within that theme

It always makes me sad (and quite a bit confused) when people say that HEA is just a mash-up of songs. Makes me wonder what they're missing when watching it. The story is beautiful.
Regardless, the technology and effects are outstanding and I'm hoping some of that creativity gets transferred over to the new Epcot show. But again, as much as I love HEA, I don't want another one in Epcot.

Yeah but the difference is that regardless of your feelings good or bad about HEA, that style of show fits fine with the theme of that park. Whereas it isn’t cohesive with what Epcot’s supposed to be.

I say this after spending part of today listening to the tapestry of nations soundtrack and remembering what they can produce when given the ability to work within that theme
Agree.... HEA just doesn't fit in World Showcase!
I listen to the Tapestry soundtrack at least once a week!!! Love it!!!!

It always makes me sad (and quite a bit confused) when people say that HEA is just a mash-up of songs. Makes me wonder what they're missing when watching it. The story is beautiful.
Regardless, the technology and effects are outstanding and I'm hoping some of that creativity gets transferred over to the new Epcot show. But again, as much as I love HEA, I don't want another one in Epcot.
I've seen HEA 3 times and just get sensory overload! I just don't get the story. But I do agree the effects are outstanding.... just too much! .... like too much pie at Thanksgiving!! haha!!!
And..... I agree the "technical" creativity is amazing..... but they have the talent to have created a much better soundtrack!! Kinda like the baker using Pillsbury pie crust from a tube and using filling made from scratch! haha!!

Agree.... HEA just doesn't fit in World Showcase!
I listen to the Tapestry soundtrack at least once a week!!! Love it!!!!

I've seen HEA 3 times and just get sensory overload! I just don't get the story. But I do agree the effects are outstanding.... just too much! .... like too much pie at Thanksgiving!! haha!!!
And..... I agree the "technical" creativity is amazing..... but they have the talent to have created a much better soundtrack!! Kinda like the baker using Pillsbury pie crust from a tube and using filling made from scratch! haha!!
It’s all opinion one way or another, but I never got that attached to wishes. The big downside with HEA, and a gripe I can get on board with, is it’s very dependent on having a good view of the castle. Which limits where you can watch in the park, and really limits what you can see from the resorts. The latter is really odd given how much of a selling point that is for the restaurants and such there

What I am missing? I don't get any story from it at all. To me it is a bunch of songs tossed together with some cool lighting effects.

The fact that so many people don't get a story shows that it is going wrong. Wishes was very clear on what the story was. HEA is not, to the point that some of us see no story.

What I am missing? I don't get any story from it at all. To me it is a bunch of songs tossed together with some cool lighting effects.

The fact that so many people don't get a story shows that it is going wrong. Wishes was very clear on what the story was. HEA is not, to the point that some of us see no story.
It’s about a heroes journey and that we can all live our happily ever after story.

It’s all opinion. I for one thought wishes was fine but was getting stale and the children singing voices were super annoying. Obviously there were people who loved it and that’s perfectly fine. It’s not “going wrong” because there are people who don’t like it since it’s still drawing tons of people and anecdotally it seems like many (id say most) people on this forum like it

Tying this back to the thread topic, I have perfect faith in them being able to execute a good show, I just question why they’re trying to cram this idea into Epcot. But I’m not gonna totally bash a show that isn’t off the drawing board yet

It's pretty obvious and based on posts I've read on here since it debuted, I'd say most people "get" it. But here's a bit of a short general summary of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happily_Ever_After_(Magic_Kingdom)

I loved Wishes but feel HAE is a superior show and one with a better message

That said I don’t want HAE part 2 at EPCOT as I want the 4 parks to have unique feels to them and the type of entertainment is a big part of that
This sums up my opinion quite nicely

Disney has the creative genius at hand in order to create a fantastic show including a new soundtrack. The Rivers of Light and Awakenings at AK prove that. Even though many people don't care for ROL, the music is new, fresh, beautiful and fits well in AK.
Lets just hope they do the right thing and come up with a totally NEW show (including new soundtrack) worthy of World Showcase!
I think we all agree we don't want HEA part 2.

It’s about a heroes journey and that we can all live our happily ever after story.

It’s all opinion. I for one thought wishes was fine but was getting stale and the children singing voices were super annoying. Obviously there were people who loved it and that’s perfectly fine. It’s not “going wrong” because there are people who don’t like it since it’s still drawing tons of people and anecdotally it seems like many (id say most) people on this forum like it

Tying this back to the thread topic, I have perfect faith in them being able to execute a good show, I just question why they’re trying to cram this idea into Epcot. But I’m not gonna totally bash a show that isn’t off the drawing board yet
I have faith that Disney could create an amazing new show for Epcot, but I don't have faith that they will because it is all about shoving in as much IP as possible right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter