• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**CONFIRMED** Rumor About the Resort Refillable Mugs!

OK, it's spelled carabiner. I always spell it wrong. If I could post a pic, I would. Haven't mastered that yet. You would recognize it immediately if you saw one. It's the clip that people use in climbing, but also used by a lot of people these days to hook keys to your belt, or mugs to your purse. Someone will come along that can post a pic of it, I'm sure....

Someone did. ;)

I'm sure everything will be worked out by the time we go in early Jan. If we don't get free DDP then it looks like we won't be getting the cups. It would be $18 x 3 , or $54 plus tax, for us. (That's a lot of money for drinks! ) We'll just bring some of our old cups to use with our own sodas. We go to a store on the way in so we'll just pick up some Diet Cokes along with bottled water. Worst case scenario we can buy a regular soda for $2.79 and get 3 (or 4, reports vary) refills.

Additionally if we aren't on a DDP then we will be going to some offsite food locations. Love those $1 drinks at McD. :cloud9:

Of course, for those who don't have a vehicle, or don't have food delivered, the options are fewer.

BTW, we typically stay 9-10 nights on our trips so the 4 or more days plan isn't that bad. But if you are staying only 4 days I think $18 is too much. That's $4.50/day. IMHO.

Ok, I know that I am late to this party, but I was actually excited about the new RFID mugs. At least we would be getting a new design... but then I just looked at the pictures. Same design, just new colors?!?! :headache:

Ok, I know that I am late to this party, but I was actually excited about the new RFID mugs. At least we would be getting a new design... but then I just looked at the pictures. Same design, just new colors?!?! :headache:

Same pool scene, re-used lid/handle colors from the 2011 test...but there is a new RapidFill logo added! :goodvibes

She's still buying a new one. There's no difference in what she is consuming. She's just not getting coffee flavored soda.

Yup, that's what I am doing. I'm just using an old cup for coffee and I buy the new cup for soda or other drinks.

I guess it would be no different than using the new cup and pouring it into the old one. Just cannot get the smell of coffee out of the cups with just water. Plus coffee stains those cups something terrible.

I'm not a huge drinker of soda anyways, mostly water, coffee, tea and iced tea. Plus if you are on quick service, I find that you end up with a lot of drinks anyways. I am liking the idea of a new color cup though.

Baking soda mixed with water left in the mugs gets rid of the coffee stain and smell. I do this at home all of the time. Of course this doesn't work while you are in Disney. I don't think I would bring a ziploc bag full of baking soda in my luggage.:rotfl:

I take a disney mug to work on my commute every day and use it during the day at work. I definitely get my use out of the mugs which is why I probably don't mind paying for them. Then when they get really old, I can send them to recycling.

Where's the picture of the new mug? Also, Andre had posted the times for the refills on POR thread...also had info on consecutive stays. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I found it. We haven't been there since 2010, so I was hoping it wasn't the red cups again, since that is what we have. Also for people asking about deciphering each others' mugs, we switch color lids. For example, DH will have the green handle mug with an orange lid and I will have an orange handle mug with a green lid. Or make it a 3 way switch. Color matching doesn't matter with my kids...they wear mismatch socks!!

Why are the mugs called "Rapid Fill"? Because they're so small? (Just kidding - I have never seen them, just heard people saying they're smaller than you'd think.) I do wonder what the name means though.

Why are the mugs called "Rapid Fill"? Because they're so small? (Just kidding - I have never seen them, just heard people saying they're smaller than you'd think.) I do wonder what the name means though.

They're called that because it's a twist on the name of the company behind the technology. The company is ValidFill.

Unlike most on these forums, I'm convinced that this change was not so much about Disney wanting to "squeeze" more money out of everybody (side note: if you don't like it, don't buy the mug), but more about this company, which is based out of Florida, coming to WDW with a sales pitch that Disney took a liking to. Plain and simple...a business decision based on a sales call.

So what I do is usually bring my previous resort mug (since I have several), and use it for my coffee and then I have the new one for pop, etc. I find that no matter what, it's hard to get the smell of coffee out of the mug. Also coffee and tea stains. I'm a get up early and have coffee, read the paper person, so from what I have been reading, I can still use the old mug for coffee and save my new mug for fountain drinks. Works for me.:thumbsup2

I haven't read through all the postings, however, if you are using a non chipped mug for coffee, does means that the coffee machines are not using the refill system? How about the hot chocolate machines. We usually mix the two and make mocha. Is that still possible?

This is from a Mod who is in POR right now
I had a chat with one of the senior Food & Beverage managers about the new mugs yesterday. Some of this just confirms already known info:

Extensions for continuous stays will be free (e.g. you can swap resorts, but NOT if you have any days away from Disney in between). Length of stay extensions beyond 14 days are also free, but need to be added manually for you. Mugs can be used at all Disney resort hotels during the validity period.

Tea/coffee/chocolate/water are not sensor-based drinks, only the soda-fountain drinks will require chipped mugs. You will place the mug on a new base just under the nozzle, press the button once, and it will dispense the correct amount for the cup (the ice dispensers now have a reduced flow to avoid overflowing cups).

There is a two-minute delay gap between repeat dispenses for the same mug, and a shorter delay between 'half-fills' of your mug (if you press the button to stop the current flow of Lemonade, and then top it up with Sprite for example). Not sure of the exact delay for this, but it could be around 70 seconds. Those delays will get somewhat annoying I suspect.

Very old mugs sold by Disney as 'permanently refillable' cannot be used, you will need to speak to a manager if you have one. Guest issues will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, but most likely any solution will only be for your current trip.

I had a chat with one of the senior Food & Beverage managers about the new mugs yesterday. Some of this just confirms already known info:

Extensions for continuous stays will be free (e.g. you can swap resorts, but NOT if you have any days away from Disney in between). Length of stay extensions beyond 14 days are also free, but need to be added manually for you. Mugs can be used at all Disney resort hotels during the validity period.

Tea/coffee/chocolate/water are not sensor-based drinks, only the soda-fountain drinks will require chipped mugs. You will place the mug on a new base just under the nozzle, press the button once, and it will dispense the correct amount for the cup (the ice dispensers now have a reduced flow to avoid overflowing cups).

There is a two-minute delay gap between repeat dispenses for the same mug, and a shorter delay between 'half-fills' of your mug (if you press the button to stop the current flow of Lemonade, and then top it up with Sprite for example). Not sure of the exact delay for this, but it could be around 70 seconds. Those delays will get somewhat annoying I suspect.

Very old mugs sold by Disney as 'permanently refillable' cannot be used, you will need to speak to a manager if you have one. Guest issues will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, but most likely any solution will only be for your current trip.
Don't see why there should be any delay on "half-fills". I also do 3/4 lemonade and 1/4 sprite. Not overfilling my mug so shouldn't have a delay.

A two minute delay I can handle. The talk of ten or five minutes were the only part that kind of bugged me. In two minutes I can enjoy one cup full and then fill it up and take it back to the room without a lot of wait (I know I drink too much soda).

I haven't read through the whole thread. How are the chipped mugs handling coffee or hot chocolate? My DH and youngest DD likes to get coffee and hot chocolate after swimming at night. I think I remember reading from when Disney was testing a couple resorts last year or year before that the hot beverages were deactivating the chip.

I haven't read through the whole thread. How are the chipped mugs handling coffee or hot chocolate? My DH and youngest DD likes to get coffee and hot chocolate after swimming at night. I think I remember reading from when Disney was testing a couple resorts last year or year before that the hot beverages were deactivating the chip.

Tea/coffee/chocolate/water are not sensor-based drinks, only the soda-fountain drinks will require chipped mugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter