Contemporary DVC is a GO

I think the CRV is still a go also.

It will just take longer to build than DVC has inventory to sell. SSR is selling very well and they will not have time to demolish and rebuild at the CRV location without a huge gap of time.

They are marketing DVC HARD!! If they have nothing to sell, they lose momentum. People can take their time to decide because their resort wont even be open for at least 3 years.

So they go with AKL. Take the 5th and 6th floors that can be ready for occupancy in 9-12 months. Nothing to demolish for the new building, so construction can be started immediately. By time AKV is near sell-out, CRV will be ready to announce and only be a year from opening.

AKL buys DVC some time, because CRV is going to be alot of work.

Im not really interested in purchasing either one, but I do believe that CRV will happen.

CarolA said:
We get the POINT and we are tired of it.

So here's my counterpoint.

YUCK the monorail.

1. It stinks on there. You are trapped on there with folks who think deoderant is OPTIONAL plus it just smells
2. Children view the monorail as a playground. They climb over the seats etc. I am sorry, but having your brat bounce off my legs while he runs back and forth in that limited space is NOT appealing
3. They aren't going to be able to lengthen the trains so the addition of the DVC guests will make it ever MORE crowded then it is now. At opening and closing assume you will NOT be able to get a seat if you are lucky enough to get on. Those of you panicing about the buses at AKL, that's nothing compared to the fact that the additional 15 stories of DVC guests are going to storm the monorail!
4. To combat #3 expect higher dues as Disney is going to have to buy a few more trains for DVC members. Of course since they don't have any more track you will be getting to spend extra time on the monorail "Holding for clearance"
5. To go ANYPLACE but the MK will take longer since at last check there is no monorail to AK, MGM or Downtown Disney etc and that trasnfer at the TTC to Epcot is a ROYAL pain.
5. In the event of a thunderstorm the thing may have to shut down...

My one stay on the monorial (at the GROSSLY overrated GF) pretty much told me that this hype is just that. The monorail does not have any magical qualities. It's basically an inefficent train system.

I like the walk and it is healthier too plus it is only a couple of yards further then hotel room to monorail door + Monorail door to MK Gates.

On the MK Bus from BWV some rude hot shot business man at a convention was trying to tell his little Kronies "There are a lot of buses here, maybe we might get lucky and find one to the contemporary, otherwise we have to take the monorail." :lmao: Talk about laZy! "I told them you can wait for a bus if you want to but it won't come and if you want to walk up to the monorail have fun! The walkway to your hotel is this way."

7. will be the rude convention crowd especially when the Big 5 tax companies meet there for their annual pow wow.
Ridiculous as it might sound, I like being able to walk to the park. SO sign me up!!!! :banana:

disneybride96 said:
Granted...this is CM rumor, but one of the Monorail drivers told us that there had been plans pre 9-11 to extend the monorail. The money earmarked for this project had to go elsewhere with the downturn in tourism. He said these plans had just been brought back to life and there would be more monorail in the future. Take it for what it's worth.

Let me guess... it goes through the dark spot in the Swan.

Sorry, Disney has gone on record NUMEROUS times saying no monorail expansion. It's just too costly and they can run a LOT of buses for the millions a mile expansion of the monorail costs.

(Please note that about half of my prior post was made in jest. Yes, I think the monorail is WAY overhyped and yes I will NEVER again give the GF ANY of my cash even for meals, but I was attempting to point out to at least one poster that not everyone sees things the same way and once you have beat your horse to death it's time to be quite! I have no desire to buy CRV but that does not mean the should it come to pass I will feel the need to be nasty to those of you who do. And as for the GF... DISNEY get your manager over to the Ritz.... See how a world class resort is really run!)

I for one think Disney was very smart in putting off disclosing a DVC at the contemporary for the following reasons:

1. Disney knows that a monorail resort will be in high demand and sell fast.

2. Disney knows that at some point the economy will turn down which will have an effect on sales. This has been one of the longest if not the longest time for an economic expansion.

3. It would appear that Disney is having a harder time filling rooms at the Animal Kingdon than at the Contemporary. The contemporary probably still has decent bookings just because it is on the monorail.

4. Disney will be able to have a few more price increases in points while they sell AKV so they can get a higher price for the Contemporary especially since this is a monorail resort. It would be a lot easier to ask for a higher price per point for a monorail resort than at the Animal Kingdom if they sold the Contemporary first.

Based upon my assumption, if correct, by announcing the Animal Kingdom first they can fill up the resort, keep the monorail resorts to sell during an economic time period that may be harder to sell DVC, and get a higher price. Just some thoughts.

disneybride96 said:
Granted...this is CM rumor, but one of the Monorail drivers told us that there had been plans pre 9-11 to extend the monorail. The money earmarked for this project had to go elsewhere with the downturn in tourism. He said these plans had just been brought back to life and there would be more monorail in the future. Take it for what it's worth.

I think the plan under consideration is a light rail system, not additions to the monorail. I read somewhere (while at WDW) that it would cost $10,000,000 PER MILE to extend the monorail due to the need for elevation, etc. A light rail system is much more viable and supposedly being considered.

edited to add: Come to think of it, this might have been something I read from my handy guide book, not from Disney literature!

Keep dreaming for the CRV you may get it some day.

IF the CRV was a go, and it is going to be 15 stories as stated, then it would take 3 plus years to build the resort. AKV will be completed 2009. If CRV started next year, it'll be done around 2009-2010. Perfect timing.

It would take at least 6 months to 8 months just to clear the site and do all the infastructure work.

Construction would eqasily take two plus years, especially with having them all furnished. And to top it all off, they can't actually let anyone stay at the new resort until they got the final certificate of occupancy. Won't be able to do phases.

Honestly, CRV does nothing for me, but to each thier own. Would I stay there, sure. Will I buy there, no.

tomandrobin said:
IF the CRV was a go, and it is going to be 15 stories as stated, then it would take 3 plus years to build the resort.

15 stories is pretty big. I guess I won't be able to watch the fireworks from the pier before the Electric waterboat show. But there will be a lot of Tower MK views!

:yay:

Since I am neither a MK fan or a CR fan, I don't really care if or when they build CRV, because I'll not likely ever stay there. However, I DO think it is a viable option, and I suspect the AKV was announced first because it is easier and will take less time. Now I just hope they give us the SUnrise Safari for DVC!

I'm still wondering whatever happened to the Villas at Eagle Pines. We even saw the architecteral drawings, like we're seeing now of VAKL. So I'm afraid I won't believe those until I see them. However, since the same architect did WL as AKL, it probably makes sense that it would follow easily to do Villas at AKL just like they did at WL, with some minor differences, perhaps.

Simba's Mom said:
I'm still wondering whatever happened to the Villas at Eagle Pines. We even saw the architecteral drawings, like we're seeing now of VAKL.

DVC before EP had a couple of plans that never became a DVC resort.

DVC got the DI and could put SSR up for cheaper than EP. Well the first buildings. Now that they are building where there was no DI - I would expect the costs to have increased.

Now that they have AKL - again it will be cheaper and since a DVC resort was in the originally plan easier.

Now the Cont won't be cheaper or easier - but it is a monrail resort and DVC promised us long ago there would be a monrail DVC resort.

both the AKL and Cont you can generally get last minute. This is not a good thing for a deluxe WDW resort. WDW wants it entire property to sell out way before the last 30 days.

where both are not that popular as WDW resorts - they would both be VERY popular as DVC resorts - different set of people - different goals.

most non-dvc member are going to WDW to do WDW. So the AKL is not in a good area and Cont looks old. but DVC member go to WDW just because they love WDW and missing a few days in the parks is not a big deal. You will be back - this is a given.

I have to agree with the prior posters who believe that CRV is coming. Disney can take its time on the construction. They can start by shuffling around the restaurants in the main building in preparation for the walkway. That alone can take some time. In the same period they can gut the North Wing which would still leave them in a position to renovate & reopen it if they change their minds about DVC. Then the construction itself could take a couple of years.

I do have to wonder if the building will be 100% DVC or if Disney will keep a chunk of it for themselves. The building would have some pretty valuable views just to leave it to DVC'ers. One thing I hope they do is build a lounge above tree height facing the Magic Kingdom. That would go a long way towards alleviating requests for MK views.

doubletrouble_vb said:
One thing I hope they do is build a lounge above tree height facing the Magic Kingdom. That would go a long way towards alleviating requests for MK views.

No - remember the one at BWV that Disney decided to kept. I would think this would happen here too.

better more villas than Disney taking back another lounge. :rolleyes1 my opinion.

Disney announced the new DVC wing at AKL will have amenities including a restaurant. Disney could certainly put a restaurant or bar exactly where doubletrouble_vb wants a lounge. They'll have to something about people who want to camp out there to watch Wishes. Come to think of it a Bay View would probably work better.

I just posted on a new thread about this...sorry I didn't see this one. I just back and soemone at Cali grill also told me they a tearing the wing down and building a 15 story DVC!

He also stated Sea World is going to build a water park that is bigger than Blizzard Beach.

Just a note on that info, I took a survey about a proposed water park at Sea World Orlando, it's probably been a couple of years ago now. I don't know about the size but I can believe that they are now going to build it. I remember the survey mentioning tropical birds and animals in the park. Wish I could remember more of the details :(

If you take the construction timeline in account they can start selling AKL right away. Selling the 5th and 6th floor redo's then starting the other building from scratch ( no demolishing first) then sell those. Where as at the contempary they have to remove an existing building then build an engineered foundation that can hold a 15 story building which will take much longer to build than what they are planning for AKL. IMO I thing Disney knows their business and the timelines it will take and have set them in order to fall right into place.

FisherFamily said:
as at the contempary they have to remove an existing building then build an engineered foundation that can hold a 15 story building which will take much longer to build than what they are planning for AKL.

thank you I was wondering what in the heck would take 3 years - I forgot they would be building on sand - the current building being only 3 floors. they have to go a bunch further down and then enforce it because of the sand...

CarolA said:
We get the POINT and we are tired of it.

So here's my counterpoint.

YUCK the monorail.

1. It stinks on there. You are trapped on there with folks who think deoderant is OPTIONAL plus it just smells
2. Children view the monorail as a playground. They climb over the seats etc. I am sorry, but having your brat bounce off my legs while he runs back and forth in that limited space is NOT appealing
3. They aren't going to be able to lengthen the trains so the addition of the DVC guests will make it ever MORE crowded then it is now. At opening and closing assume you will NOT be able to get a seat if you are lucky enough to get on. Those of you panicing about the buses at AKL, that's nothing compared to the fact that the additional 15 stories of DVC guests are going to storm the monorail!
4. To combat #3 expect higher dues as Disney is going to have to buy a few more trains for DVC members. Of course since they don't have any more track you will be getting to spend extra time on the monorail "Holding for clearance"
5. To go ANYPLACE but the MK will take longer since at last check there is no monorail to AK, MGM or Downtown Disney etc and that trasnfer at the TTC to Epcot is a ROYAL pain.
5. In the event of a thunderstorm the thing may have to shut down...

My one stay on the monorial (at the GROSSLY overrated GF) pretty much told me that this hype is just that. The monorail does not have any magical qualities. It's basically an inefficent train system.

By golly, I think you'd have talked Walt out of it. Too bad you weren't there to join all those who couldn't convince him it was foolish to put the monorail through the CR.

when I was a kid the monorail was a crowded but magical thing.

And it DIDN'T smell in those days. I've always had a sensitive nose. I can't remember when that bad smell started, but I started a thread on it a few years ago. I've smelled it in one other place -- the relatively new base lodge at Copper Mountain (ski resort in CO). I assume it's some sort of adhesive for the carpet.

Anyway, I must be just an old kid because I still like it in spite of all the annoying, inconsiderate other people who use it and the frequent stops and starts.

Whether or not CRV becomes reality, putting up a 15 story building in that area would take away from the ambiance(spelled right?) of the monorail
line. I for one would love a monorail line DVC but...not 15 stories! 6 to 8
at best...and don't hold your breadth on it being built at all...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter