Contemporary DVC is a GO

picantel

Mouseketeer
I have seen rumors about it but here is what I know. My wife and I live near disney so we go alot. Because of this we have met many CMs who pretty much know us by name. Last night we were talking to a CM who is in charge of a couple divisions and this is what he told us.

Disney is tearing down the north wing completely. They will build a 15 story building that is in a U shape. It will have a 4th floor walkway to the main building. They are planning to cut down the arcade and move it upstairs. They will also move the foodcourt near chef mickeys. Where those areas were they will be putting in a restaurant and/or bar area for business travelers. They will be shutting down the concourse steakhouse and will be expanding chef mickeys to cover that area.

Now, here is the kicker. He said the DVC is a done deal and will happen. It will take 3 years to build. The rest is what they will probably do and it said it is about 80% doable but makes sense. He also stated Sea World is going to build a water park that is bigger than Blizzard Beach. As usual take these with a grain of salt but he did state he was 100% positive on the DVC and was in a position to know.

With the just under 500 room at AKV being announced completed around the 2009 time frame.Maybe but i don't see them having both being completed at the same time.

Now I also know they have more in place to get the AKV start-up so they will and can start selling that soon. Maybe they are holding offthe announcement on CRV until they get the ball and sales rolling on AKV

I swear it seems as if I've heard this somewhere before.....I truly hope it comes to fruition..but I honestly do not think it is going to happen for quite awhile if at all. Fingers crossed...we are hoping..hoping..hoping

Sorry, but it sounds like the CM was just reporting thr rumors that were here on the DIS as fact!

While DVC might try to do both AKV and CRV at the same time, I don't see it as that likely. Although, with a three-year time frame, who knows???

FYI--if no one seems very excited by your post, that is because these rumors have been here on the DIS--complete with all the details you mentioned plus more plus architectural drawings--for a couple of months. The big news is the OFFICIAL announcement of AKV!

I don't think it is out of the question. I know DVC has the option to add on to all the exisiting resorts. I know that DVC Contemporary was being talked about at Disney as much or more than DVC at AKL. Something has stalled it, but I don't think it is cancelled.

You know the funny thing is my contacts were much more certain that DVC at the Contemporary was a go and AKL was a maybe until recently.

Not sure what changed it, possibly that the AKL will be easier to convert.

Time will tell though.

Please...anyhting but the Disney Zoo Villas....That is the last place I want to stay...IMO the only DVC resort that gives me any type of excitement is a monorail resort...Hey, maybe someday we will get to stay at the great "eagle pines" resort!!!!!!

gmboy95 said:
Please...anyhting but the Disney Zoo Villas....That is the last place I want to stay...IMO the only DVC resort that gives me any type of excitement is a monorail resort...Hey, maybe someday we will get to stay at the great "eagle pines" resort!!!!!!
Umm...that would be Not a Zoo villas! :teeth: :lmao:

gmboy95 said:

We get the POINT and we are tired of it.

So here's my counterpoint.

YUCK the monorail.

1. It stinks on there. You are trapped on there with folks who think deoderant is OPTIONAL plus it just smells
2. Children view the monorail as a playground. They climb over the seats etc. I am sorry, but having your brat bounce off my legs while he runs back and forth in that limited space is NOT appealing
3. They aren't going to be able to lengthen the trains so the addition of the DVC guests will make it ever MORE crowded then it is now. At opening and closing assume you will NOT be able to get a seat if you are lucky enough to get on. Those of you panicing about the buses at AKL, that's nothing compared to the fact that the additional 15 stories of DVC guests are going to storm the monorail!
4. To combat #3 expect higher dues as Disney is going to have to buy a few more trains for DVC members. Of course since they don't have any more track you will be getting to spend extra time on the monorail "Holding for clearance"
5. To go ANYPLACE but the MK will take longer since at last check there is no monorail to AK, MGM or Downtown Disney etc and that trasnfer at the TTC to Epcot is a ROYAL pain.
5. In the event of a thunderstorm the thing may have to shut down...

My one stay on the monorial (at the GROSSLY overrated GF) pretty much told me that this hype is just that. The monorail does not have any magical qualities. It's basically an inefficent train system.

I am confused.

Has Disney does an announcement on the Cont that I just haven't seem?

I know they did one on the AKL.

I would love a DVC cont - but I though that Disney had decided at this time to kept the Cont as just a hotel and were in the process of rehabing it NOW.

so I guess that will be test. If they rehab it or tear it down.

No they haven't made any official annoucements on a Contemporary DVC.

Only AKV at this time.

CarolA said:

YUCK the monorail.

6. Trains departing the CR on the "resort loop" follow this path:

CR...TTC...Poly...GF...Magic Kingdom

In short, the monorail isn't even a viable form of transportation for reaching the Magic Kingdom. You can walk in 5-7 minutes. Why spend 20 minutes on the monorail plus wait time on the concourse?

As for the future of the CR, we will probably have some idea soon since the North Garden Wing is close to guests and a construction wall is being erected. If they start tearing down the wing, it sounds like a pretty good sign that the proposed DVC tower is in the works. If not, then they're just refurbing it as they did the South wing.

Now that Disney has demonstrated a willingness to turn-over existing cash rooms to DVC, I wouldn't be surprised to see the CR plans changed to a refurbishment. When they need more DVC rooms at WDW in 4 years or so (or longer if they open something at DL or off-site), DVC can always take over both Garden Wings and perhaps a couple floors in the Tower.

CarolA said:

YUCK the monorail.

1. It stinks on there. You are trapped on there with folks who think deoderant is OPTIONAL plus it just smells
2. Children view the monorail as a playground. They climb over the seats etc. I am sorry, but having your brat bounce off my legs while he runs back and forth in that limited space is NOT appealing
3. They aren't going to be able to lengthen the trains so the addition of the DVC guests will make it ever MORE crowded then it is now. At opening and closing assume you will NOT be able to get a seat if you are lucky enough to get on. Those of you panicing about the buses at AKL, that's nothing compared to the fact that the additional 15 stories of DVC guests are going to storm the monorail!
4. To combat #3 expect higher dues as Disney is going to have to buy a few more trains for DVC members. Of course since they don't have any more track you will be getting to spend extra time on the monorail "Holding for clearance"
5. To go ANYPLACE but the MK will take longer since at last check there is no monorail to AK, MGM or Downtown Disney etc and that trasnfer at the TTC to Epcot is a ROYAL pain.

My one stay on the monorial (at the GROSSLY overrated GF) pretty much told me that this hype is just that. The monorail does not have any magical qualities. It's basically an inefficent train system.

My first reaction: :lmao:

My second: I recommend a double Dole Whip and a Turkey Leg............to go. :)

popcorn::

CarolA said:

Granted...this is CM rumor, but one of the Monorail drivers told us that there had been plans pre 9-11 to extend the monorail. The money earmarked for this project had to go elsewhere with the downturn in tourism. He said these plans had just been brought back to life and there would be more monorail in the future. Take it for what it's worth.

tjkraz said:

In short, the monorail isn't even a viable form of transportation for reaching the Magic Kingdom. You can walk in 5-7 minutes. Why spend 20 minutes on the monorail plus wait time on the concourse?

As for the future of the CR, we will probably have some idea soon since the North Garden Wing is close to guests and a construction wall is being erected. If they start tearing down the wing, it sounds like a pretty good sign that the proposed DVC tower is in the works. If not, then they're just refurbing it as they did the South wing.

Now that Disney has demonstrated a willingness to turn-over existing cash rooms to DVC, I wouldn't be surprised to see the CR plans changed to a refurbishment. When they need more DVC rooms at WDW in 4 years or so (or longer if they open something at DL or off-site), DVC can always take over both Garden Wings and perhaps a couple floors in the Tower.
I totally agree. :thumbsup2

Sammie said:
I don't think it is out of the question. I know DVC has the option to add on to all the exisiting resorts. I know that DVC Contemporary was being talked about at Disney as much or more than DVC at AKL. Something has stalled it, but I don't think it is cancelled.

You know the funny thing is my contacts were much more certain that DVC at the Contemporary was a go and AKL was a maybe until recently.

Not sure what changed it, possibly that the AKL will be easier to convert.

Time will tell though.

Maybe because the AKL will have more rooms and Disney needs inventory? (Just thinking aloud, not "reporting"!) We are in the process of deciding where to buy so I was speaking with a DVC rep today. FWIIW, she claims the reason AKL was announced now is because inventory is beginning to run low so they are hoping the announcement will help mitigate demand. She said there has been a lot if interest already and a number of people have joined the waitlist for it.

CarolA said:
Children view the monorail as a playground. They climb over the seats etc. I am sorry, but having your brat bounce off my legs while he runs back and forth in that limited space is NOT appealing

Amen. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, when we stayed in the North Wing, we walked to MK.

Frankly, the MK location isn't my favorite anymore. This is from someone who owns at VWL. If I could do it again, I would have bought BCV.

tjkraz said:

you definitely walk in the morning if you want too.

but coming back after a hard day in the parks - it is the FIRST stop. :cheer2:

or if you kids melt down in the MK - you don't even have to wait for the monrail if you don't want too - you can walk back easily.

CarolA said:

YUCK the monorail.

Whow, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the monorail!!! :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter